MFT Battery Saver message on shutdown | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT Battery Saver message on shutdown

The problem doesn't seem to have anything to do with battery charge, it remains after driving long distances but disappears after being parked. It sounds like I should scrap the coincidence theory and move the negative connection on the scooter hoist from the battery to a ground on the vehicle. Thanks for the info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Me too in my MY 2012. It happened for a few days in a row, I couldn't get the accessories to stay on e.g. push the start button twice while engine is running to stay in the Explorer and keep the radio on & engine off... it would just give me this same message and then shut everything down. I removed all plug-in devices and chargers but message continued. I thought it was because of the cold weather. Its warmer out now and problem has gone away at least for now.

If it's happening with cooler weather, it's more than likely a battery issue. Batteries show their age most during cold weather.

Me too in my MY 2012. It happened for a few days in a row, I couldn't get the accessories to stay on e.g. push the start button twice while engine is running to stay in the Explorer and keep the radio on & engine off... it would just give me this same message and then shut everything down. I removed all plug-in devices and chargers but message continued. I thought it was because of the cold weather. Its warmer out now and problem has gone away at least for now.
It means that your battery is low and requires a charge, either through a good drive or by the use of a battery charger. That is why your accessories won't stay on. The system is designed to shut off all unnecessary power use to preserve what charge there is left in the battery. It wouldn't hurt to have your battery and system checked by your dealer. There are more and more posts about batteries having to be replaced.

Peter

System shutdown

Hi,

It's winter and my Explorer has been shutting down its system lots of times recently after I turn off the engine. Does anyone know whether it's the battery charge level that triggers this?

What exactly do you mean "shutting down it's system"? When you turn off the vehicle it's supposed to shut everything off. You would have a dead battery real quick if it didn't.

What exactly do you mean "shutting down it's system"? When you turn off the vehicle it's supposed to shut everything off. You would have a dead battery real quick if it didn't.

Well since it's started to get cold, after I turn off the ignition, the screen will display something like 'Shutting down system to save battery', then everything will turn off (entertainment system and cig sockets). Power locks still work.
Usually, the cig sockets, for example, stay on 24/7.

I'd get the battery checked. Good starting point.

You might also check the battery terminals for tightness and corrosion.

Hi,

It's winter and my Explorer has been shutting down its system lots of times recently after I turn off the engine. Does anyone know whether it's the battery charge level that triggers this?
Hi Friko. I have merged your thread with this existing one. The cause is a low battery. I get this probably 2 or 3 times a month because I don't drive the vehicle enough. After I charge the battery, everything is back to normal until the next time. Had the same issue with my 2011 Limited. It wouldn't hurt to have the dealer check the battery the next time you're in. On my Explorer they changed the battery after about a year due to a problem they said they found when I mentioned this low battery condition. The same issue then began again within a few months and the battery checked 'Good'. These newer vehicles with the electronic packages etc always have a constant, although very low drain on them to keep the various circuits alive.

Peter

Hi Friko. I have merged your thread with this existing one. The cause is a low battery. I get this probably 2 or 3 times a month because I don't drive the vehicle enough. After I charge the battery, everything is back to normal until the next time. Had the same issue with my 2011 Limited. It wouldn't hurt to have the dealer check the battery the next time you're in. On my Explorer they changed the battery after about a year due to a problem they said they found when I mentioned this low battery condition. The same issue then began again within a few months and the battery checked 'Good'. These newer vehicles with the electronic packages etc always have a constant, although very low drain on them to keep the various circuits alive.

Peter

Thanks a lot Peter. I'll get it checked at Lincoln Heights Ford next time I'm there. I have a dashcam that's constantly on, so I've started unplugging it when the car parked for the past month.

Interesting, Peter.

I considered connecting a battery charger while learning the interface and controls without having the engine running. Otherwise the on time is limited without starting the engine, which would be a waste of fuel and engine life.

The location of the battery under the hood in close proximity to engine heat, without provision for cooling intake air (well, there is a thin insulating blanket around it), on top of the high electrical power consumption already built into the vehicle, combine to doom the battery to a short lifespan (I would expect), even without added accessories. Not sure if this has played out in the history of the vehicle and experiences of owners?

The battery in my last vehicle, a very high electrical draw Linoln LS Sport, was 12 years old and still strong when I sold it, largely due to the battery being located away from the battery-killing heat of the engine. So Ford is in possession of the technology.

I did have a small solar panel (~ 2W) constantly connected which might have helped a bit, although the car spent the majority of its life in a garage. I have yet to connect a panel to my Explorer.

Do you have any USB chargers or plugs that you leave in their ports all the time?
The chargers/plugs pull power all the time.

Not accurate, USB plugs only charge temporarily until system turns itself completely off. About 30 sec to a minute.

Some member suggested getting a 'battery tender'. Apparently they will bring the battery up to full charge and then shut off the charging and go into monitoring mode. I'll have to check to see if my charger does that. I usually put the charger on 'trickle' (2A) mode when I use it. The battery location in the MKT is the same as it was in the Explorer.

Peter

My wife's explorer started doing this today. Guess I will be making a trip to Advance Auto to pick up a battery tomorrow!

Just make sure it isn't because of not driving it enough. I get that message a few times a month because it isn't unusual to have my vehicle sit for 3 or 4 days and then only make short runs. I just charge the battery back up and wait for the next time.:)

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the tip. I figure the battery is already four years old and it is more than worth buying a new one versus her coming out one day and not being able to make it to yoga on time. Lord forbid she miss yoga class...:)

If your a Costco member you should get the group65 battery for $89.99. 850CCA, 1000CA and 150 min of reserve.

I too am seeing this issue I will run a battery test tomorrow to determine the battery condition.

Sadly these batteries are notorious for being junk.

Replacing the battery with a Free one if Ford will give it to you is one solution. But upgrading to something like an Odyssey will give much better battery life.

Especially in our heavily computer based vehicles - the battery is the heart of the system.

On a side note about battery chargers, buying a good one is really important. Battery Tenders have their issues and everyone should do some research on how and what each type of charger does to the battery to bring it to full charge and then properly maintain it.

I have been using the CTEK chargers for years with great results.

Example: http://goo.gl/vB4HG0
CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12-VoltBattery Charger

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just thought I'd post a follow-up in case it helps anyone else.

I purchased a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD with MyFord Touch from CarMax a few weeks ago. It started having this same issue a couple days after I drove it off the lot.

What should have tipped me off first was that when I went to test drive the Explorer at CarMax, they had to jump start it. They said sometimes that happens with cars that sit on the lot for a while -- makes sense, but this turns out to be related with hindsight 20/20.

The first few days, the radio would stay on when you take the key out until you open the door, like expected. Then after a few days it started showing this message. One time I also got a message on the display beside the spedometer saying "Check Charging System", but I only saw that message once.

I took it in to Advance Auto Parts to do a free battery test. The battery, alternator, etc. all tested good.

Then, I took it into a local Ford dealer, and they also tested the battery and it tested good. They determined that a "charging sensor" needed to be replaced and that it was the cause of the problem.

I then took it in to CarMax to get the charging sensor replaced under their 30-day warranty. They also confirmed the charging sensor issue and replaced the charging sensor. They also tested the battery and it tested good.

The message went away for exactly one drive, then the next time I drove it it started doing it again. I had also made sure that I didn't have anything plugged into the MFT USB outlets.

A couple weeks later, I went on a cruise so the Explorer was sitting at the cruise terminal parking lot for 5 days. When I returned, it would not crank -- battery was dead. I took it in once again to CarMax.

Under the 30-day warranty, they now again tested the battery (note that this is the 4th time it had been tested!) and found it had a bad cell! That means that while "fully" charged, it was testing fine with the testing tools at Advance, the Ford dealership, and CarMax, but now that the battery drained it tested bad!

CarMax replaced the battery for free under their 30-day warranty and now I've driven it a number of times and the radio stays on until I open the door and I haven't gotten the message since.

Again, in hindsight -- them having to jump the car to test drive it should have been my first clue that the battery was actually bad, but the 3 battery tests at different locations gave me a false sense that it was a good battery.

So don't take the battery test results as the final word - if you're getting this message, you most likely have a bad battery, even if you can still crank it and even if it tests "good"! And if you've replaced the battery and still get this message, have your dealership/mechanic check the charging sensor. Better to replace the battery than get stuck somewhere when it finally one day won't crank like I was at the cruise terminal. Hope this helps!

Back