Remote start issues | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote start issues

When you weren't able to remote start it, did you try more than once? I know that sometimes I have to do the sequence twice to get it to start. Sometimes it will go on the first try. I'm sure it is the way I'm doing it that is the issue although I try to ensure I push the buttons with the same pauses. Electronic gadgets!;)

Peter

Yes, every subsequent try resulted in the blinking of the yellow signal lights and the horn going off. In the manual, it says the horn will sound if the system fails to start...which is what is happening.

Going back to my main question...anyone confirm that changing the battery has eliminated this remote start issue? Since this has only happened to me on very cold days, I'm thinking voltage was too low to remote start...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, every subsequent try resulted in the blinking of the yellow signal lights and the horn going off. In the manual, it says the horn will sound if the system fails to start...which is what is happening.

Going back to my main question...anyone confirm that changing the battery has eliminated this remote start issue? Since this has only happened to me on very cold days, I'm thinking voltage was too low to remote start...
I doubt it is battery related to either the vehicle or fob. The fob just has to send the signal to the vehicle which it is doing and you say the vehicle will start with the push button. I would think that would eliminate both batteries. When mine fails to start on the first attempt, the horn does not sound. I know I read somewhere that the system will lock out after 2 remote starts within an hour and then you get the flashing signal lights. What I don't know is if that means 2 successful starts or 2 attempts. I believe the system will reset within an hour.

Peter

xxboarderxx;3268673my 2013 Limited started experiencing this problem as well. Everything that people have described I am experiencing. One thing further I tried was I get into the car and push the start button to manually start it and it starts no problem. Then I push it again to stop the engine. After that said:
Hi xxboarderxx,

I would like to assist, my friend. ;) Have you contacted your dealer for diagnosis? Please PM me the VIN, current odometer reading, full name, telephone number, and dealer info; I’ll loop in your regional customer service manager.

Kwasi

I posted a similar problem awhile back and got the same responses about the batteries.

my problem was no reaction with the remote starter. Even standing next to the car with the fob touching the window with no lights at all. It would not react to the unlock either.

If I opened the doors and closed them, everything worked fine from a good distance. it was like the car was sleeping and needed to be woken up.

This lasted for a couple of weeks and is now still working right WITHOUT changing the batteries

im having this problem too as of last night when I was trying to remote start it.it will just blink with one horn sound.its not the battery for sure coz my lock unlock and liftgate works.and my Ex sport is just 1 month old.went to my dealer today and I have to wait till next week.push start/stop botton works well and when I tried to remote start it again same thing it doesn't start.anybody has figured out whats the fix on this?was thinking to disconnect the battery of the car if it will reset but kind of hesitant that it will have to relearn everything on the car.

im having this problem too as of last night when I was trying to remote start it.it will just blink with one horn sound.its not the battery for sure coz my lock unlock and liftgate works.and my Ex sport is just 1 month old.went to my dealer today and I have to wait till next week.push start/stop botton works well and when I tried to remote start it again same thing it doesn't start.anybody has figured out whats the fix on this?was thinking to disconnect the battery of the car if it will reset but kind of hesitant that it will have to relearn everything on the car.
Mine also doesn't always start on the first try. Can't say if the lights flash since I'm doing it from inside the house. On the second try it always starts. In my case I'm sure it is the way I push the buttons. The horn should not sound when you remote start it. If it does, then the remote start won't work. The system also has a program built into it that after 2 remote starts you have to wait a specified time. Perhaps an hour. I verified that by remote starting mine twice and on the 3rd attempt the lights just flashed and the horn sounded. So if you get the same thing, try waiting an hour or so and try again to see if it will work. If not, the dealer is the next stop.
BTW, your profile shows a 2008 Lexus, not a 2014 Sport.

Peter

Mine also doesn't always start on the first try. Can't say if the lights flash since I'm doing it from inside the house. On the second try it always starts. In my case I'm sure it is the way I push the buttons. The horn should not sound when you remote start it. If it does, then the remote start won't work. The system also has a program built into it that after 2 remote starts you have to wait a specified time. Perhaps an hour. I verified that by remote starting mine twice and on the 3rd attempt the lights just flashed and the horn sounded. So if you get the same thing, try waiting an hour or so and try again to see if it will work. If not, the dealer is the next stop.
BTW, your profile shows a 2008 Lexus, not a 2014 Sport.

Peter

didn't notice that.that was the car I traded for my 14 Ex sport last month.got it fixed.i took the risk and unhook the battery.after that it started again with many tries,no problem.kind of sluggish right now driving it . probably trying to relearn its factory setting.dont know why .but i'll drive it tonight a couple miles after I install my hid kit.

didn't notice that.that was the car I traded for my 14 Ex sport last month.got it fixed.i took the risk and unhook the battery.after that it started again with many tries,no problem.kind of sluggish right now driving it . probably trying to relearn its factory setting.dont know why .but i'll drive it tonight a couple miles after I install my hid kit.
It actually has to relearn the way you drive in regards to the transmission shift points (adaptive Learning, page 221) and idle and fuel trim strategy (page 330).

Peter

what is the range suppose to be without walls? What is the range of the ford add on suppose to be without walls?

Mine just started developing this problem as well. Like everyone else has experienced. Would not start on the first try, then tried it another time and still wouldn't work. Just saw lights flashing. Said screw it and turned it on manually in vehicle.
Im sure over time it will work again eventually.

...This lasted for a couple of weeks and is now still working right WITHOUT changing the batteries

im having this problem too as of last night when I was trying to remote start it...

Mine just started developing this problem as well...

It sounds like it's time for a trip to the dealership, gang. Once you have a diagnosis, reach out to me via PM and I'll do what I can to help as well. Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message. I'll start researching some options from there. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I just recently had this issue with the remote start and the flashing lights. But what I did was go into the vehicle settings and turn off and on the remote start setting and so far it's been doing fine. Hope that helps with anyone else having issues

51,000 miles and I have the same problem. Sometimes it works on the first try, sometimes on the second. Most of the time it wont work though...

Actually, I just removed the battery and reseated it. Everything works, locks, unlock, power tailgate, push start. Everything except REMOTE START. WTF?

Mine suddenly began to flash lights and lock doors but not start. i now hold start down for 5 seconds and it starts every time. use to start with 2 hits on the start button. Been through the battery change and didn't help.

Same issue with my recently purchased 2011 Ford Explorer Limited. Worked when the dealer showed me it and finally got around to trying it myself and not working. I'll be making an appointment with my local dealer where I purchased it.
One other issue I noticed is the vehicle leaks somewhere in the rear area. Luckily I have a cargo mat that catches the water so I'm in no rush to get it fixed. i'll do a search here to see if other owners are experiencing the same issue.
Great forum btw! .........Bob

Same issue with my recently purchased 2011 Ford Explorer Limited. Worked when the dealer showed me it and finally got around to trying it myself and not working. I'll be making an appointment with my local dealer where I purchased it...

Welcome to the forum, Bob! I'm glad you're getting this into the hands of your dealership. Be sure to come back and let us know how your appointment goes. How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

I might be able to help here.
Had this same issue where sometimes it would start, other times it would just flash and honk once.
I then noticed I was getting an occasional "shift to park" message on the instrument cluster when I got in sometimes. Started paying attention to it, and found that sometimes the message would appear when I stopped and parked and sometimes it wouldn't show up then, but when I got back in the car later it would show up.
As I tracked it, every time I couldn't remote start, I had that message.

Dealer replaced the shifter assembly (wasn't detecting park consistently) and it's been fine since.
Weird though, the one they put on has the shifter buttons on the side (+/-) but I have the sport with paddle shifters so those buttons don't do anything.

This started happening on my wife's 2013 Ford Explorer Limited...so far can't figure out the issue at all.
Sucks the vehicle is out of warranty...this vehicle has been an ongoing issue the minute it hit 3 years old.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Having the same problem, remote start was intermittent, had occasional "Shift to Park" message and now wont start at all. I bought the extended warranty so I'm gonna ask to change the shifter assembly.
Also the passenger side vents are stuck to cold and sometimes hot.

Regretting buying Ford.

Back