Rear Camera - No Guidelines Show | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Camera - No Guidelines Show

Do you get the different coloured warning zones when backing up to an object?
Also it would be very helpful to know which model/year you have since some answers do not apply to all models. If you enter that info in your vehicle specs profile it should show up in the left hand column. That would be very useful info so we can provide the appropriate replies.

Peter

2015 ExSports 401A Package with a lot of other Optional equipment, and other bells/whistles: Rear Camera has no Active Line Guide System. It is only FIXED with enhanced Parking Aid Assist. Colorful zones show up when backing up dictating how close one is before hitting anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yours is working as intended. The 'Active Guidelines' are only there if you have Active Park Assist.

Peter

This is suppose to fix the no lines in the camera problem, posted on the F150 truck & Edge forum

Service adviser said :
Software / Programming issue
Ford solved it through the IDS
Dealer did a hotline call with Ford and they sent
them new software
Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:45 PM
Pretty much any electronic module that's replaced on the cars now requires a dealer configuration.
Ok folks. So I had my rear camera replaced and Now I don't have the rear camera guidelines showing on the screen. I checked the settings and they are set to ON to show guidelines. I did some searching on some other Ford Forums and found that several other people had this same issue when having a new camera installed. Please note: My old camera showed the guidelines perfectly fine and all of the settings are properly set to "ON". In searching the F150 and Explorer forums some people have noted that the SSM for this is SSM 22105. The dealer may need to do a RCV configuration after the camera replace. If they don't then you will not be able to function the girdlines. Does this make sense to any of you? Any idea if this RCV config can be done without having to go back to the dealer?

grayeeagle, see my post 80 in this thread. I believe it has to be done by the dealer.

Peter

It has to be done by the dealer and if the dealer would actually follow the service manual on camera replacement it tells them it need to be done!!

Backup Camera Lines disappeared

So the other day i put my 2011 Explorer Limited in reverse and the camera went black. I put it in park, then back to reverse and the camera came on but the backup lines are gone. I went into the settings to make sure they are turned on and they were. i turned them off and back on; no avail. I did a system reset and still nothing. The sensors work letting me know i'm close to something, but the grid lines are gone. Any ideas or does the backup camera need to be replaced? Or worse?

So the other day i put my 2011 Explorer Limited in reverse and the camera went black. I put it in park, then back to reverse and the camera came on but the backup lines are gone. I went into the settings to make sure they are turned on and they were. i turned them off and back on; no avail. I did a system reset and still nothing. The sensors work letting me know i'm close to something, but the grid lines are gone. Any ideas or does the backup camera need to be replaced? Or worse?

Pull the fuse (29 I think) or pull the negative cable, let it do a hard reset. Then see if it fixes it.. if not, off to the dealer for either a reflash or APIM replacement.

Took 3 trips to the dealer and 2 new cameras in my 11 to get that fixed.

... Any ideas or does the backup camera need to be replaced? Or worse?

Hi MACP34,

Your dealership will be in the best position to determine next steps; if you decide to have them check this out, be sure to let us know. How many miles are on your Explorer? I'll see what I can do to help.

Crystal

Another 2011 Explorer without backup lines

I have the same problem discussed here on a used 2011 Explorer Limited that I just bought used from a dealer 2 days ago. Settings are all set correctly. I've done a "master reset" - lines still missing and zoom button doesn't work. I've pulled fuse 29 and left it out for ~30 minuntes (man, they couldn't have put that in a less-accessible place if they tried). Still the same problem. This vehicle is outside it's factory warranty (still a little of the 60K powertrain left). Before I go to fight the dealer, I would really appreciate the guidance of anyone who has gone through this before, so I can get my BS detector primed and ready.

1.) When I'm in reverse, and I'm close to objects either behind me or behind-and-to-the-side, My Explorer beeps at me, and the beeps increase in frequency the closer objects get to the back/sides of the car (makes backing out of the garage exciting!). Does this mean I have 'Active Park Assist', and I should have the guidelines that bend when I move the steering wheel, and the visual colored boxes? Or should I just have the 2 static lines and the audible beeping?

2.) What exactly is this "RCV Configuration" magic that needs to happen? I've seen someone mention that this can be done with a "scan tool" by going under "Body", then "RCV Configuration". Is that something that can be done with an OBDII reader, because I have one of those.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the Forum heltoupee.:wavey:
Active Park Assist (APA) is sometimes referred to as 'self parking'. If you have that feature, you will have a button marked AUTO with the letter 'P' below it. I believe it is in the same area where the power liftgate button is. It is explained in your Owner's Guide. If you have APA, then you get the lines that bend otherwise you will just have the static guidelines. The audible beeps are from the reverse sensing system and really are not part of the rearview camera.
Is your vehicle a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) one? If so, I believe the camera should be covered under the warranty. To me it sounds like you have an issue with the camera that may require a dealer visit. I'm not really familiar with the RCV Configuration. I do know that when the camera is replaced, the dealer must configure it to match the features of the vehicle you have.

Peter

I have the same problem discussed here on a used 2011 Explorer Limited that I just bought used from a dealer 2 days ago...

Welcome to the site and congrats on getting an Explorer, heltoupee! Going to the dealer is a great next step; I'm glad you're getting them involved. If you need help after receiving a diagnosis, let me know and I'll be happy to research options. How many miles are on your Explorer currently?

Crystal

2012 Explorer Limited Fixed Guidlines

I just bought a Used 2012 explorer limited w/ 302A package included.
I have rear view camera but the backup Active guidelines do not work?
I did go into Menu, Vehicle, rear view camera settings and it shows the options to for active-fixed, fixed, and off. I set all options to on and they show as on.
But I still get no guide lines at all, just normal camera view.
I am assuming that I have that feature as it shows as options to turn on, and they do allow me to turn them on?
Also the trunk has all other features as well as the working/tested park assist feature, but no guide lines?
Is it possible the feature is not equipped, broken or what?
I am new to this site and looking for some help, Thanks.

I just bought a Used 2012 explorer limited w/ 302A package included.
I have rear view camera but the backup Active guidelines do not work?
I did go into Menu, Vehicle, rear view camera settings and it shows the options to for active-fixed, fixed, and off. I set all options to on and they show as on.
But I still get no guide lines at all, just normal camera view.
I am assuming that I have that feature as it shows as options to turn on, and they do allow me to turn them on?
Also the trunk has all other features as well as the working/tested park assist feature, but no guide lines?
Is it possible the feature is not equipped, broken or what?
I am new to this site and looking for some help, Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Not quite sure what you mean by, "Also the trunk has all other features as well as the working/tested park assist feature, but no guide lines?"
Acive Park Assist (APA) uses front and rear sensors. And you are correct in that you only have the Active Guidelines if you have APA. Do you know if the camera was ever replaced? The dealer should be able to find that out. When a camera is replaced, the dealer has to set it up to conform to your vehicle. If they don't the camera may not operate properly. There are several posts coming in lately where rearview cameras in the 2011 and 2012 models have had to be replaced. That is why I asked about whether it had been replaced.
I also merged your thread with this existing one. Good luck.:thumbsup:

Peter

Took explorer to the dealer, they connected computer and fixed the issue with the camera guide lines, working fine now.

rear view camera problems

I have a explorer ltd 2011, backup camera was working flawless but suddently camera is not working properly, I have no assist grid at all just the camera view. When I looked at it the camera worked (a pretty bad image) but the lines showing the path or trajectory of the vehicle would follow when turning (active guidline) , the ones that just go straight back (fixed guidlines) or the colored blocks were missing, zoon button is there but it is not working on the screen menu I only have to choice fixed on/off and camera delay when I use to have the option to active the guide lines on off. I only have a black and white or misscolor plain image, but the most incredible thing is that the image shown on the vehicle scren has the mirror effect, mean object that are on my right side appear in the vehicle screen on the left side......I have done everything tunrning off/ on enhance park aid assist, mft reset, unplugge battey for a while, My vehicle is in perfect cnodition, I have suffered no accident ever, no visit to the workshop recently, no painting job...software upgrade but nothing seems to work.
PLease help !!:(:(:(:(

opam, I have merged your thread with this existing one on the same issue. I'm guessing that since you did have the active guidelines at one time that you do have the Active Park Assist feature. As mentioned in one of the posts here, you can try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10 minutes or so before reconnecting and see if that does anything to fix the issue. If not you may need a new camera. Not sure if it could also perhaps be the APIM but since all MFT functions appear to be working, you can try the battery cable pull first. You will likely loose some memory settings and the transmission will have to go through a 'relearn' process as well.

Peter

rear camera view problems

Thank you Peter.
I fact I disconected the battery already not negative but positive cable but still same problem only a mirror view, like If I was recording a video type, no lines of any kind just mirror image, however Im not sure if I disconected for 10 minutes or less I will try again with the negative cable. Anyway I already make an appointment to take the vehicle to the dealer next week. I will cross my finger and pray so the dealer can fix the problem with out replace the APIM because it will coat a lot of money..I will keep you posted

Thank you Peter.
I fact I disconected the battery already not negative but positive cable but still same problem only a mirror view, like If I was recording a video type, no lines of any kind just mirror image, however Im not sure if I disconected for 10 minutes or less I will try again with the negative cable. Anyway I already make an appointment to take the vehicle to the dealer next week. I will cross my finger and pray so the dealer can fix the problem with out replace the APIM because it will coat a lot of money..I will keep you posted
The APIM has a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. Some members have disconnected the positive cable because it apparently is easier. If you have already done that, I doubt that doing the same with the negative cable will make any difference.
FYI; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3422835&postcount=1

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rear camera problem update

`Let me give you and update, my vehicle is at the dealer for checking the camera problem, and they told me that I have to Replace the backup Camera, as well as the APIM :eek: I told them there must be something wrong how it is possible that APIM and Camera got damage simultaneusly...? well dealer told me they run some test and both item suffer an electronic shortcircuit.
Can this be truth..? everything is working flawless with my MFT except for the backup camera !!!
Further more, dealer told me that APIM is not cover under warranty because I bought my vehicle in the USA and not locally, Im living in the dominican republic and bring my vehicle from the US...this is frustrating, I thought that FORD warranty was global :(
any suggestion will be appreciate, I really do not trust on dealer evaluation, I think they do not want to spend time finding the problem, it is easier for them just to replace everything.....
help please !!

Back