Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 65 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cowl is that plastic strip that runs the width along the outside bottom of the windshield.

Peter

Oh okay. Hopefully mine never starts to make noise because right now, it's one of the quietest rides I've owned.

Oh okay. Hopefully mine never starts to make noise because right now, it's one of the quietest rides I've owned.

I agree. I am very pleased with this car. I had one for a rental car last fall while I was on vacation in California. It was an XLT with about 20,000 miles on it and it was still very solid and quiet. No creaks or rattles, and really nice to drive.

We put about 1000 miles on it in a week, and liked it so much we came home and bought one the next week!

I agree. I am very pleased with this car. I had one for a rental car last fall while I was on vacation in California. It was an XLT with about 20,000 miles on it and it was still very solid and quiet. No creaks or rattles, and really nice to drive.

We put about 1000 miles on it in a week, and liked it so much we came home and bought one the next week!

I only have 700 miles on mine so I can't really comment as to what it's going to sound like when it has high mileage on it but as of right now, if I am sitting still at idle, I can't even hear or feel the engine running. Even if I try really hard, I can't hear it. On the highway at speeds in excess of 80 miles an hour, I can barely hear anything but the radio. I'm very impressed with this vehicle so far.

I just bought a 2011 F-350 and having a similar problem to the rattle/vibration we had on our 2011 Explorer. Brings back bad memories.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but we had our windshield replaced at some point during ownership. When they put the new glass in they didn't properly install a tab or clip. Safelite has a lifetime warranty, so all I did was drive over and they fixed it on the spot. But, if you've had a windshield replacement it WILL cause the same noise if not re-installed properly.

I was on a trip this weekend and while driving on the highway my drivers side A pillar flew off. I previously had the whistle and rattle noise issues from both sides but it wasn't too bad unless it was very windy. It's obviously very loud now that the A pillar is gone. I'm wondering what my best course of action would be to hopefully get both the A pillar fixed and the rattle/whistle noises fixed. I'm out of warranty at about 48k miles so I don't know if I should go the dealer or try and fix this myself or locally. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

I don't know if Ford Service would be able to do anything for you at this stage but you don't have anything to lose by trying. You can send Brittany (FordService) a PM using this link if you wish to go that route; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

Is the issue causing the pillar to blow off the clips that hold it on? If so I'd want to get the whole thing fixed instead of just getting a new plastic peice to pop on. I'd rather not have this issue again.

It sounds as though some of the clips may have been broken or loose. The pillar shouldn't blow off if everything is the way it should be. There have been a couple of posts with y our issue. I think I'd want all the clips replaced in your situation. Do you still have the plastic strip or is it gone? I've never had the problem so I don't really know what is involved it replacing.

Peter

It sounds as though some of the clips may have been broken or loose. The pillar shouldn't blow off if everything is the way it should be. There have been a couple of posts with y our issue. I think I'd want all the clips replaced in your situation. Do you still have the plastic strip or is it gone? I've never had the problem so I don't really know what is involved it replacing.

Peter

I don't have the piece, it blew off at night and is somewhere in the median a hundred miles away. It seems like they pop off pretty easily becuase I pulled on passengers side one and it came loose. Seems like it is the clips if thats can happen. Not sure if it something my local body shop can do of if I'd have to go to the dealer.

Someone else had theirs blow off while crossing a river. Guess where that plastic piece is. When this issue first came up with the 2011 models, they were just replacing the plastic cover, not the clips and some had the piece fly off again. Ford then included new clips along with the trim piece as part of the replacement process. Whoever does that work, just make sure you get all new clips.

Peter

Does anyone know the part number to the clips for the a pillar? I have a replacement trim piece but no clips, and I can't find them on fords parts.

Does anyone know the part number to the clips for the a pillar? I have a replacement trim piece but no clips, and I can't find them on fords parts.
I don't see them listed there either. Perhaps your dealership parts department may have a number for them. When Ford was repairing/replacing them under warranty they eventually began including the plastic clips as part of the package due to earlier failures of the replaced trim when clips were not supplied.

Peter

Right side noise at windsheild

I had this in my 2014 Explorer the "cowl" was not fastened properly and had to be tightened.
With that being said, still have some noise, rattling going over bumps.

Vibration

I am having the same trouble with my 2015. I have had it yo the dealer twice and they have yet to fix. Did they find the source of the vibration for you?

I am having the same trouble with my 2015. I have had it yo the dealer twice and they have yet to fix. Did they find the source of the vibration for you?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Have you checked the cowl as indicated in the previous threads to see if that is the problem?

Peter

There is a new TSB released today pertaining to the 2015 and wind noise which requires inspection and/or replacement of the windshield cowl. TSB 15-0111 "WIND NOISE FROM WINDSHIELD COWL PANEL GRILLE"

i had the "bees" noise as well, and noticed it the very first time i got the vehicle up to highway speed. the dealer that i bought the truck from was absolute CRAP so i took it to another dealer. they replaced the cowl and resealed the windshield. i went 13,000 miles before i heard it last week.

i keep my explorer in a garage at work, and at home, so she rarely gets out in the sun. i did park my car outside one day in the heat, and the "bees" noise came back, for just the drive home. after it cooled down in the garage, i took it back out, and the noise did not come back.

heat definitely seems to be a factor.

2016 Explorer with humming noise

I've had my 2016 Explorer for two weeks now. On the drive home from the dealership, I noticed a humming noise that sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side when I'm going 65+ mph. Of course the dealership was closing as I was leaving that Saturday so I couldn't call them about it. I took it to a local dealership last week. The technician put about 20 miles on my car driving it back and forth to the interstate but wasn't able to figure out the issue. He has a call into Ford but I haven't heard back. I was looking here for some possible answers.

It is very aggravating to have a new car with issues. I talked with the dealership that I purchased from and the best they offered was $15 per day towards a rental. Sure wish they still had my trade!!! :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

our 2016 did this the day we took it home - turned around and brought it back that next day

there is some issue with the cowl plastic pieces and their supports - that perahps upon installation they break in side.

and around 65-73 mph you get tire noise of the right frequency to make the cowl pieces hum. or buzz or whatever you want to call it. seems this was an issue with the 2015's also.

anyway they ordered a whole new cowl and parts for us and installed them all a week later - no issues since.

Back