Can't start 96 Explorer - Only key fob broken | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can't start 96 Explorer - Only key fob broken

Immobiliser

Hi there, yet another one button fob car playing up, wondered if Angus would kindly email the bypass info as I'm an auto sparky and want to kill this pants system so I can fit an all new alarm kit , pm me for email addy, jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Angus. Sorry to be a pain. The post I was going to put up mirrored the one above.Yes,yet another newbie with immobiliser problems.Is it possible for you send me the same info on bypassing the immobiliser?

Many thanks

Ian

Dear Angus,

I am jumping in this thread about the bosch immobilser because I have a slightly different problem, my point is not to bypass the immobiliser but to transfer it in another car! these Bosch systems were used in many brands (GM, ford porsche ferrari). It happens that I have an old porsche 911 in which i want to put the immobiliser and fob I bought from a scrapped 1998 Explorer (VIM 171), Do you have a wiring diagram of the ford immobiliser? I am pretty sure I will be able to graft it on the porsche, but need the original ford wiring diagram to do so...

Many thanks for your help!

Bob

Dear Angus,

I am jumping in this thread about the bosch immobilser because I have a slightly different problem, my point is not to bypass the immobiliser but to transfer it in another car! these Bosch systems were used in many brands (GM, ford porsche ferrari). It happens that I have an old porsche 911 in which i want to put the immobiliser and fob I bought from a scrapped 1998 Explorer (VIM 171), Do you have a wiring diagram of the ford immobiliser? I am pretty sure I will be able to graft it on the porsche, but need the original ford wiring diagram to do so...

Many thanks for your help!

Bob

Hey bob
I believe the immobiliser set up for the 98 will be different to the 96/97.
There has been a great write up in practical performance classics mag a couple of issues ago about fitting zetec engine and bypassing the pats system. In the article it had some wiring diagrams and some explanation. Unfortunately I had a clearout and threw some of the mags away so I couldn't tell you which one, Jan or Feb maybe??

Hey bob
I believe the immobiliser set up for the 98 will be different to the 96/97.
There has been a great write up in practical performance classics mag a couple of issues ago about fitting zetec engine and bypassing the pats system. In the article it had some wiring diagrams and some explanation. Unfortunately I had a clearout and threw some of the mags away so I couldn't tell you which one, Jan or Feb maybe??

Dear Angus,

Thank you for your quick reply, I have tried to access the previous practical classics issues online, but i cannot because I am in belgium and not in the UK. For what I know, the PATS system that has been added in 1998 is independent from the bosch Immobiliser/keyless entry system, the PATS controls that the key with the transponder is in the car and sends the authorization signal to the PCM to enable fuel pump/start the engine. The Bosch immobiliser/keyless entry module (VIM 171) controls the central locking and also blocks the engine starter relay. What I would need is the correspondence of the 16 pin connector on the Ford immobiliser (which is probably the same in 1998 than the one of 1996). For reference, the Porsche has the following:

Pin 1 led
Pin 2 nothing
Pin 3 Lock car signal (to the central locking)
Pin 4 Ground
Pin 5 Warning lamp (dashboard)
Pin 6 Switched 12v+
Pin 7 Buzzer contact (kind of key contact)
Pin 8 Permanent 12 v+
Pin 9 Diagnostic
Pin 10 nothing
Pin 11 diagnostic
Pin 12 nothing
Pin 13 nothing
Pin 14 UnLock car signal (to the central locking)
Pin 15 nothing
Pin 16 Starter relay

I will use the Ford module on a very limited way (on the porsche, there is already an alarm/central locking module) the Bosch immobiliser/keyless was an "add-on" option.

Basically, what i would need is to find the equivalence on the ford module of

Pin 1 led
Pin 3 Lock car signal (to the central locking)
Pin 4 Ground
Pin 6 Switched 12v+
Pin 8 Permanent 12 v+
Pin 14 UnLock car signal (to the central locking)

can you help me on that? many thanks in advance,

Bob

just some additional edit: I managed to find the Nov 2013 issue of practical performance car about the zetec transplant, they refer to the PATS only, not the bosch immobiliser, for your info, here is a picture of the one I have and for which i would need a wiring diagram, it might well be the same as in 1996/1997 models:

L1010139.png

Hi Janolsson,

Thank you for your answer, I didn't see you were the one replying...

Does anyone have a clue on the 16 pin connector correspondence?

Hi Janolsson,

Thank you for your answer, I didn't see you were the one replying...

Does anyone have a clue on the 16 pin connector correspondence?

Hey Bob
Sorry I don't have a manual or even an explorer anymore but i'm sure if you post the same question in the USA side of the forum someone will have a wiring diagram etc.
The other alternative is to pick up a copy of the Chiltern manual off ebay
Sorry I couldn't help
Jan

Hey Bob
Sorry I don't have a manual or even an explorer anymore but i'm sure if you post the same question in the USA side of the forum someone will have a wiring diagram etc.
The other alternative is to pick up a copy of the Chiltern manual off ebay
Sorry I couldn't help
Jan

Dear Jan,

Many thanks for your answer. Actually I have already the wiring diagram for the US version of the explorer, but my problem is that this part of the diagram (immobiliser) is one of the few differences between the US and Europe versions.

The immobiliser and Fobs in the US were different and had different connectors. (RAP module and 3 buttons fobs in the US, Bosch VIM module and single button fobs in europe) For what I know, the Haynes and chilton manuals do not cover the european version of the explorers so they might not be helpful either...

What i would definitely need is the wiring diagram of a Euro spec explorer 1998...

Hi I know this is an old post but I'm in the same situation and getting desperate now,does anybody still have the info on the bosch immobiliser

explorer single fob

Thanks to instructions from Stenasev I now have an immobiliser worry free motor.... :).
It starts just with the key, so no worries about the other keyfob keeling over or being too near a radio mast...both of which would leave me stranded, the former one permanently stranded !.

Many many thanks to Steve for taking the time and trouble to email me the instructions which worked a treat.

:salute:

Angus
hi there would you mind sending me instructions on how to bypass this please as my fob has dieed an i cant seem to get another one my email is gus.thebus'hotmail .co.uk or text me please my car has been sat on my drive way for two months now and its driving me nuts many thanks gus

hi there would you mind sending me instructions on how to bypass this please as my fob has dieed an i cant seem to get another one my email is gus.thebus'hotmail .co.uk or text me please my car has been sat on my drive way for two months now and its driving me nuts many thanks gus

does anyone on this site know were we can get a single button fob from

Not sure about the relay but I've just bypassed the immobiliser on my explorer its simple wiring but the hardest part is gaining access too it .

if you ve your emaili wll send you detils someone gave to me that seems to work I am sending car into mechanic as he seems to agree

Hi,

Are you refering to diagrams or have you had a look at the immobiliser itself? Reason is that immobiliser has two connectors. Ours (1997) have a 16 and 20 pin connector. Others have a 22 and 26 pin connector. If working from diagrams make sure you have the right set.

Are you bypassing the starter at the immobiliser or elsewhere? I did mine at the immobiliser as I was in there anyway buy can be done elsewhere. As discussed before the fuel bypass must be done at the pump in the tank.

Looking into the smaller connector with the clip uppermost it is numbered as follows:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Join wires 4 & 5 to bypass igniton circuit. Again this could probably be done at the PCM but I found it easier to do it all together.

SS

SS
Hi , is this the instruction for the `97 model non PATS Bosch single button? A friend with that model wants to bypass the immobiliser as his fob isn`t working. I know that the relay on the pump has to be modified as described elsewhere. I was lucky to get a replacement block and key which fixed the problem for me in the past but they are like hen`s teeth now. Will the truck then start normally without the need for a working fob?

Stenasev, would be very grateful if you could post (or pm me) the instructions for bypassing the immobiliser at the three separate points (starter motor, fuel pump, ignition). Tried to search previous posts but not had much joy.

Hi all, could you please forward me these instructions too as we have the same problem and need to bypass the immobiliser
Also, is bypassing the immobiliser a big job for someone who knows what they are doing?

B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back