Snow Driving | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snow Driving

LMAO

Are we getting that Oregon snow up north, or is it going east?

I got my brand new Blizzaks burning a hole in the garage, so they need action.
Most of the big storms we have had in Ontario and eastward have been the result of weather fronts moving up out of Texas. Those storms have made it hard to see those chuck wagons on some of the trails out here. Looking forward to some asphalt driving so I can finally take the TMS out of the 'mud and ruts' mode.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First winter snow and the 14xsport in snow mode was fantastic. And using snow mode and the paddle shifters was downright fun.

Now I understand why this vehicle is so popular and useful in snow laden Canada, and also why having a nav system which is worthless makes more sense for the Canadian market since there are hardy any roads in a lot places. I'm still trying to figure out Ford's angle on marketing fabrication of the Ecoboost. Maybe Ford thinks Canadians believe higher gas mileage numbers in liter/km are better?
Maybe the Ford IVT team could confirm this?

Gotta go play in the snow while it lasts ;)

WOW.....OK. So there are "HARDY" any roads in a "LOT PLACES"? How is the navigation system "worthless"? Have you had it appraised? I'm sure you meant to say "useless". But that's probably just because you don't know how to use it, much like the english language.

Oh and congratulations, I heard you have been nominated for the Canadian version of the Nobel Prize, the Golden Snowman, for revealing to us dumb Canadians that higher fuel consumption numbers in litres / 100km is in fact NOT the way to go....thank you so much for your enlightenment!

Hi All,
New owner of a 2015 Explorer limited!

Last truck was a 2009 VW Touareg TDI. Amazing truck in the snow.

That being said, I have played around with the Explorer and found a real difference in the driving styles between Normal / snow and sand.
The sand position seemed to remind me the most of the VW. If not a little harsh with the throttle movement.

In snow mode it seems almost lethargic!

As a side note, I have snow tires mounted all the way around.

Thoughts?

Joe

The snow mode is designed to slowly gather speed without slipping on a slick surface. That's what you're feeling in the snow mode. The traction control stays active, again, to keep the wheels from slipping

The sand mode is programmed to aggressively spin the wheels to keep it 'floating' on top of loose sand. Traction control is off to allow the wheels to spin.

Mud/rut keeps the gearing low for power but still allows for some wheel spin. Like sand mode the traction control system is off in the mud/rut mode.

The snow mode is designed to slowly gather speed without slipping on a slick surface. That's what you're feeling in the snow mode. The traction control stays active, again, to keep the wheels from slipping

The sand mode is programmed to aggressively spin the wheels to keep it 'floating' on top of loose sand. Traction control is off to allow the wheels to spin.

Mud/rut keeps the gearing low for power but still allows for some wheel spin. Like sand mode the traction control system is off in the mud/rut mode.

The sand mode and can help or hurt. If you are going to be entering real soft sand, you need to keep your momentum going, so that helps.

However, if you are at a stop in soft, deep sand, you want a low gear with slow revolutions to slowly get you going so you don't dig in. Mud/rut may be better for that.

My primary beach vehicle is a 2009 Escape with just the normal mode AWD and I get around in soft sand just fine giving it the proper amount of power depending on the situation.

Thanks for the input!
Not saying it's bad... Just different from what I am use too.
The diesel was very linear with its power output. So it is taking some getting use to.
Joe

In snow mode it seems almost lethargic!
Snow mode uses the ABS system to control wheel spin. Hence, it feels like you are driving with the brakes on.

does my 2013 xlt have those settings? i thought it was just auto 4WD without me touching a thing.

does my 2013 xlt have those settings? i thought it was just auto 4WD without me touching a thing.
I don't believe the XLT has the Terrain Management System. The TMS is controlled by a dial located on the center console between the shifter and the armrest. It is shown on page 243 of the 2013 Owner's Guide (4th printing).

Peter

Welcome to the Forum J Pascoe.:wavey:
In the 3 years I had my 2011 Limited I only used 'Snow' mode once and that was to get through a large pile of snow that the plow had deposited at the stop sign of the street I was exiting from. Other than that instance, 'Normal' mode was used exclusively.

Peter

I don't believe the XLT has the Terrain Management System. The TMS is controlled by a dial located on the center console between the shifter and the armrest. It is shown on page 243 of the 2013 Owner's Guide (4th printing).

Peter

My XLT certainly has the Terrain Management System. Maybe PJR202 only has FWD.

Thanks for that info. I didn't look into it too much at the time since I was a bit rushed. If it is FWD then there would be no sense in having the TMS. Not sure if TMS was an option or not.

Peter

Mines 4wd but no TMS knobs or doodads that I can see. :)

A 4x4 explorer will have a dial right behind the shifter. You can turn that dial for the different modes, if your explorer doesn't have that then it's only a front wheel drive.

A 4x4 explorer will have a dial right behind the shifter. You can turn that dial for the different modes, if your explorer doesn't have that then it's only a front wheel drive.

I am fairly irritated right now. Our purchase (bought used about 6 weeks ago) experience was frustrating enough (dealer advertising error and unkept promise and a 3 hour drive) without now realizing we were apparently lied to or mislead. I could swear it said 4WD on the back, but I went out and checked this morning and it doesnt. I knew it didn't have the knob that the Limited we test drove had, but we were told it had 4WD and I thought the knob was just for hill assist. I was under the impression that the 4WD was automatically engaged. Ultimately it's my fault for not investigating more thoroughly, but the overall experience had enough hiccups that I'm not kicking myself that hard at this moment.

Either way, we didn't require it and it wasn't really even a consideration in whatever we decided to purchase. I have a 4x4 Tacoma and my wife not only doesn't drive in snow, she's a teacher so if it snows she doesn't have to leave the house anyway. The irritating part is, it was used against us as a negotiating tool.

But thanks..lol

Mines 4wd but no TMS knobs or doodads that I can see. :)

You got screwed then, because if it's 4WD you will have the terrain knob. If you don't have it you have FWD. I certainly hope you didn't pay the additional $3500 for 4WD.

You got screwed then, because if it's 4WD you will have the terrain knob. If you don't have it you have FWD. I certainly hope you didn't pay the additional $3500 for 4WD.

See above...

We bought it used and it was a good price, 4WD or no 4WD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

we had alot of snow here and getting more tonite i didnt even change the settings and cut right through unplowed streets still have the factory hankooks...I will have it on the sand once I get my beach permit ...

Back