60,000 Mile Service / Recommendations | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

60,000 Mile Service / Recommendations

ssilence

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer
I dropped my wife's Explorer off at the Ford Dealership for an oil change. Well they just called me and said they noticed we haven't gotten our 60,000 mile service. I was thinking what in the world is that. He started rattling off things like a transmission flush, evap cleanout, etc.. Said it was going to be like $500. I just snickered and said no thanks. I checked the manual and the transmission is good until 150,000 miles...no mention of the other things he mentioned. Nice try dealership....not going to get me.

I will try and get a complete list when I pick up the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a Catch 22 and, I think, the Dealership gave you sound advice.

Changing fluids often is, in my opinion, the easiest and cheapest way to ultra-high mileage out of a car without major repair expenses. I have put 250,000 and 160,000 miles on two difference Explorers without any drive train issues. I change the engine oil at 3,500 miles and the transmission and differential fluids at 60k.

A new transmission will cost $4k - that's eight $500 services.

I love Ford vehicles because of their ruggedness and reliability. However, I am sure that Ford doesn't want all their vehicles reaching 250,000 or more miles - it cuts into new vehicle sales.

Ditto. Regardless of model, most here will agree that a 150k transmission fluid and filter interval is asking for trouble.
Why would Ford recommend a 30k change for severe duty vehicles? Same applies to Ford's "lifetime" rear axle fluid.

transmission fluid and filter
The filter isn't serviceable on these transmissions. It can only be accessed by splitting the case. A fluid swap is the best you will do.

I just love the OCI debate. There are no legitimate studies that can conclude changing oil at other than the Mfr's recommended interval will extend engine life or prevent breakdowns. The only long term study which was done by Consumers Report on Taxi cabs showed no difference in reliability or longevity by changing oil at less than whatever the owners manual said. They also saw no difference in engine life / wear when using a name brand API rated oil versus Mobil1 or other synthetic oils. Plenty of anecdotal claims such as "I change at 3000 miles and never had an engine failure". That does not mean you would not have the same outcome at 7500 mile changes. Today's engines are so superior to even 20 years ago. 60 miles per hour used to mean 3500 rpm, today with six & seven speed transmissions 70 MPH is 2000 RPM's and the engine is loafing. Do what you want, its your money.

Bigdude2468,
What's the most mileage you've put on an Explorer or any vehicle?

So, I just picked up the Explorer and here is the complete list.

• Replace Engine Oil and Oil Filter
  • Add BG Ethanol Treatment
  • Rotate Tires, Inspect Wear and Adjust Tire Pressure
  • Visually inspect Brake Lining/s Drums and Brake Pads
  • Perform Multi-Point Inspection
  • Perform Automatic Transmission Fluid Exchange Service
  • Perform BG Frigi-Fresh A/C Evaporator Service
  • Perform enginee performance restoration service
  • Fuel Induction and Injection Service
  • Replace Engine Air Filter

The 'works' from Ford usually only costs $50 and includes the engine oil and filter, tire roatation and multi-point inspection including brake pads/rotors. The shoes are usually not visible and only function as Parking brakes so they probably don't need replacing yet.

I'd do the works ($50ish) and the transmission flush ($150-$200).

If your A/C performance has degraded it wouldn't hurt to mechanically clean around the evaporator coils. But I don't know what frigi-fresh is but some of the chemical cleaners actually can eat away at the thin coils and cause leaks. I would avoid it even though, because it's a Ford deal, I doubt it would cause problems - it's probably not necessary.

Gas (ethanol) treatments can break loose trash in the gas tank and cause fuel filters to clog almost immediately. Don't do it.

Unless you really notice a change in the throttle control don't worry about the fuel injector cleaning.

Engine air filters do need changing but not usually as often as they recommend. Regardless they normally don't charge labor, just the price of filter.

I've never heard of a engine performance restoration service, sounds like a gimick.

1990 Dodge Caravan, 260,000 miles, engine was still perfect, did not burn a drop of oil. Suspension was shot, rode like a bad truck. Did replace two transmissions which these were famous for. At 190,000 miles hit a deer, the van was totaled and I bought from the insurance company and had it repaired with used parts, painted and drove it another 70,000 + /- miles. Did oil changes at the recommended interval, dino oil only.

I just hardly everr hear of anyone having internal engine problems anymore

Yeah, I was there to get the works already, they just tried to tack on everything else.

I recently changed both the engine air and the cabin air filter, so no need to do that. Does the transmission flush need to be performed at Ford, or can I get that done somewhere else?

And everything else is fine with the vehicle, so that is probably all I would do.

Yeah, I was there to get the works already, they just tried to tack on everything else.

I recently changed both the engine air and the cabin air filter, so no need to do that. Does the transmission flush need to be performed at Ford, or can I get that done somewhere else?

And everything else is fine with the vehicle, so that is probably all I would do.

You might save a little bit getting non-Ford service but not much and Ford will likely match a major shop like Firestone. Also, different Ford service departments have different price schedules. I was quoted $500 to do engine oil/filter, trans flush and rear differential oil at the Ford Dealer nearest my house but got the work done at another Ford Dealer 22 miles away for $400.

Call several dealers and ask what a trans flush would cost then ask the closest dealer to do it for the lowest quote. If he won't, make the drive.

I would avoid transmission FLUSHES and go only for drain and replace services. Especially from an outside shop. These transmissions with the internal filters will suffer if you don't use only the recommended fluid. Any outside shop will do flushes on all types of vehicles, and you never know how much fluid is actually left in their machine. Not only that, but flush services can break loose crud and causes blockages in the valves and other internal workings. AVOID FLUSHES.

I would avoid transmission FLUSHES and go only for drain and replace services. Especially from an outside shop. These transmissions with the internal filters will suffer if you don't use only the recommended fluid. Any outside shop will do flushes on all types of vehicles, and you never know how much fluid is actually left in their machine. Not only that, but flush services can break loose crud and causes blockages in the valves and other internal workings. AVOID FLUSHES.

He really should talk with his service provider, but starting with only 60,000 miles, in my opinion, a flush is appropriate to avoid the build-up you're talking about. If the vehicle has 100,000 miles or more without a transmission service, I would agree with you.

See, that is how I am going to be doing my tacoma, just drain and replace. For the Tacoma it is an easy process, and replaces about 3 quarts from the drain pan. Does anyone know if the process for the Explorer is the same or similiar?

AVOID FLUSHES.

Most of the transmission machines are Exchange machines, not Flush machines. Exchange machines use the transmission own pump pressure to exchange the fluid.

The BG site and others have good info. I've used BG on numerous cars over 20 years, some past 100,000 miles without problem. Their synthetic fluid is highly rated. A lot of Ford dealerships use them, and use their fluid vs. the Mercon LV.

Most of the transmission machines are Exchange machines, not Flush machines. Exchange machines use the transmission own pump pressure to exchange the fluid.

The BG site and others have good info. I've used BG on numerous cars over 20 years, some past 100,000 miles without problem. Their synthetic fluid is highly rated. A lot of Ford dealerships use them, and use their fluid vs. the Mercon LV.

Well stated. I have had BG ATF exchanges done on older explorers that I own and have been completely satisfied. The BG company puts out good products as well.

I'm going to have to see if they have a Mercon LV compatible fluid for the 2015 Explorer. I've always stick to a 30,000 interval; small price for personal piece of mind.

There are plenty in my area that are indeed flush machines. I had a dealership use one that junked my transmission, and this was just last year.

I agree lower mileage vehicles are generally safe, but the risk is still there. Most folks really don't know what the shops and techs use, so again, there is a risk involved.

For the record, I love BG products.

Honestly, I don't understand this distrust of Ford's published maintenance schedules.

Ford has a vested interest in building reliable vehicles that last. The higher the resale value for used vehicles, the more likely customers are to buy that brand again.

Dealers have the ethical challenge in that once a sale is made, there is more money to be extracted from the customer through service charges.

I personally would be suspect of any dealer recommendation that contradicts Ford's published maintenance schedule. If the dealer is recommending a service, I would explicitly ask "what is the basis for that recommendation?". Did the dealer observe a symptom or condition that warrants performing a service not documented on Ford's published maintenance schedule?

Granted they are technically not the same technology, take a look through the other forums on this site for the older Explorer Models. They each have several threads for members to brag about the number of miles on their Explorers. You will find many members with Ultra-high mileage without having done anything more than frequent oil changes.

I personally have a 2000 Explorer that has over 257,000 miles. I had a 1995 F-150 driven to the scrap yard with over 236,000 miles. All with little more than regular oil changes and following the maintenance schedule. The engine outlasted the body on both. Yes that's only two personal data points, but I was amazed at how many on this site have Explorers with much higher mileage while following the Ford maintenance schedule.

Ford is already taking a reputation hit for a crappy infotainment system. They don't need the extra hit questioning the reliability of their engines/powertrain.

Unnecessary services at best inflate the cost of ownership, at worst accelerate a component failure. Flushing solvents and fluids through a system will always increase the risk of a seal failure. Flushing a solvent or fluid may make sense if there is an observed condition that warrants it. Flushing a solvent or fluid to prevent a condition that doesn't exist doesn't make sense to me.

Just my 2¢.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dropped my wife's Explorer off at the Ford Dealership for an oil change. Well they just called me and said they noticed we haven't gotten our 60,000 mile service. I was thinking what in the world is that. He started rattling off things like a transmission flush, evap cleanout, etc.. Said it was going to be like $500. I just snickered and said no thanks. I checked the manual and the transmission is good until 150,000 miles...no mention of the other things he mentioned. Nice try dealership....not going to get me.

I will try and get a complete list when I pick up the car.

Most of these "needed services" are not coming from the manufacturer, they are the dealer's way to make some additional money. Always check the Owner's Manual for the maintenance schedule and follow it. Changing oil at 3,000 miles today is ridiculous, but I also think waiting 10,000 is just as bad. I change mine every 5,000 and that's what my dealer recommends. Probably a bit of overkill but that's OK.

I learned my lesson on a transmission "flush" back in 1979 when I had a transmission flushed at around 35,000, which was recommended back then. Less than 6 months later I had a transmission failure that cost me $1400 back then to have the tranny rebuilt. I will never have another done.

As good as today's transmissions and fluid are, I seriously doubt that it's necessary to service a transmission before 100,000. And then I still wouldn't do the complete "flush."

Back