• Register Today It's free!

Question regarding Towing

lstraiton

Reaction score
City, State
Magnolia, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Lmtd
I've had my 2015 Explorer Limited for about a week now and it has the tow package on it...However, when looking at towing sites, I need to calculate GCWR that is supposed to be on the data sticker on the vehicle....However, on mine it only shows the information for the vehicle, and not the combined allowed which is to specify exactly how much I can "safely" tow along with the vehicle and cargo....I've towed 45' Travel Trailers and would love to get one that I can safely tow with my new Explorer, obviously a tad smaller...but want to make sure I know what I'm talking about before I go shopping, as the trailer dealers just want the sale...I want to be safe!! Thanks for any help, Lisa

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should be in your owner's manual or a ford towing guide.

I've had my 2015 Explorer Limited for about a week now and it has the tow package on it...However, when looking at towing sites, I need to calculate GCWR that is supposed to be on the data sticker on the vehicle....However, on mine it only shows the information for the vehicle, and not the combined allowed which is to specify exactly how much I can "safely" tow along with the vehicle and cargo....I've towed 45' Travel Trailers and would love to get one that I can safely tow with my new Explorer, obviously a tad smaller...but want to make sure I know what I'm talking about before I go shopping, as the trailer dealers just want the sale...I want to be safe!! Thanks for any help, Lisa

Welcome to the forum Lisa!

You can safely tow a trailer up to 5000 lbs, with the factory tow package, is what the owners manual says. I have the XLT trim and my sticker says what you are looking for is 6160.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

GVWR not indicated

That's what's weird... my sticker on the driver's side door doesn't state 6160 or anything else other than total capacities of just the explorer...

The OP clearly asked for GCWR...not GVWR...

The OP is going to need both so now she has them. Check axle ratings, tire ratings and hitch ratings as well, among other things. Remember, it's not just one rating you have to worry about, it's all of them. Also, you are going to be limited to trailer length by more than "a tad". The wheelbase of the Ex is not really designed for anything close to 45'. I'm thinking you'll probably have to settle for half and probably even less than that.

Regardless of all the math any of you are trying to do, the max weight set by Ford is 5,000lbs. Any DOT you run into that would weigh you would have that number.

So, Lisa. According to Ford, your camper(or whatever you may want to tow in the future) can be no more than 5,000lbs.

I believe Lisa made it pretty clear that her concern was safety not what some DOT weigh master will let her get away with.

It's never prudent to go by just the tow rating when setting up your rig. There are way more factors to consider than just trailer weight when towing.

LOL The only question she could ask and get more opinions and facts is what kind of oil she should use.

Check out the Ford Towing guide. May be in one of the links above as well. http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/15RV&TT_Ford_Explorer_Sep30.pdf

It also has other things to be considered, like the trailer frontal area.

I didn't see where the OP stated whether she had 2WD or 4WD. Ford lists CGVWR as a limitation for 2WD, and vehicle weight for 4WD

Question?

I tow a small 20 foot ski boat that weighs 3500lb boat and trailer fully gassed and loaded. I have the 3.6 EB with the added tow package. Do I need a weight distribution hitch?

I'll wait for the experts to chime in but I thought the OEM class III hitch already had the weight distribution set up.

Peter

I'll wait for the experts to chime in but I thought the OEM class III hitch already had the weight distribution set up.

Peter

The OEM hitch is the receiver. The weight distribution portion is this:

towing-weight-distribution-1.jpg

Question?

I tow a small 20 foot ski boat that weighs 3500lb boat and trailer fully gassed and loaded. I have the 3.6 EB with the added tow package. Do I need a weight distribution hitch?

Check your hitch receiver. There should be a sticker that tells you what the dead weight and weight distribution ratings are.

182RG, obviously I'm not that familiar with hitches etc but isn't there also a way that the hitch is installed to distribute the weight? I thought I saw that some where that the hitch is tied into different parts of the body. Perhaps that is called something else or I could be way off base here.
Learned something new today. Thanks.

Peter

The OEM hitch is the receiver. The weight distribution portion is this:

towing-weight-distribution-1.jpg

I'll have to weigh the tongue and figure it out. I'll probably need a raised ball mount if I'm coming from a full size pickup?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

182RG, obviously I'm not that familiar with hitches etc but isn't there also a way that the hitch is installed to distribute the weight? I thought I saw that some where that the hitch is tied into different parts of the body. Perhaps that is called something else or I could be way off base here.
Learned something new today. Thanks.

Peter

Peter that's it in the picture. That mechanism moves the point that the tongue pushes down on from the location where the ball would be normally be, to a point more forward on the vehicle, closer to the rear axel. The setup in the picture is needed in order to "correctly" pull the full 5000 lbs recommended by Ford.

Back