New Ford Explorer Sport: Fuel-Efficient, High-Performance SUV | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Ford Explorer Sport: Fuel-Efficient, High-Performance SUV

I was very aware that my last '99 Explorer had the drag coefficient of a parachute. Driving less than 60mph I got 20-21 mpg. 65 got it down to 18 mpg. 70 mph = 17 mpg. 75+ mph = a little over 15 mpg. Throw in a headwind and I had to stop at every gas station.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it fast or quick ?

Hello fellow Explorer guys. The question may seem odd but since I haven't test drove one yet I wanted to ask opinions. I currently own 2 explorers. My 03 EB and the wife's 04 XLT. Both V8 trucks. Love the V8 both for punch and because the V8 seems to have always just moved the truck easily. No hard work for every day, stop n go.
In reading about the Sport, I can't find any consistent numbers on the sport. 0-60 from 5.9 to 7.1 ? Big spread. For what is about a 10K jump in price. (With a bells and whistles included of course ) is the truck fast?

Also, with mention of the suspension being tighter on the sport, is it noticeable when driving over local roads? I live in the northeast. With last winter being snowy, all of the roads are pothole fixed and cracked. I have a back road/ 35 minutes daily commute and would rather have a "car like ride " than a "sports car like ride ". I drive 25K a year and I just don't want to feel like it wasn't worth it . Thanks for any input guys

Paul

Love the forum. It's helped with numerous radio swaps, headlight bulbs, and door code finds :)

Hello fellow Explorer guys. The question may seem odd but since I haven't test drove one yet I wanted to ask opinions. I currently own 2 explorers. My 03 EB and the wife's 04 XLT. Both V8 trucks. Love the V8 both for punch and because the V8 seems to have always just moved the truck easily. No hard work for every day, stop n go.
In reading about the Sport, I can't find any consistent numbers on the sport. 0-60 from 5.9 to 7.1 ? Big spread. For what is about a 10K jump in price. (With a bells and whistles included of course ) is the truck fast?

Also, with mention of the suspension being tighter on the sport, is it noticeable when driving over local roads? I live in the northeast. With last winter being snowy, all of the roads are pothole fixed and cracked. I have a back road/ 35 minutes daily commute and would rather have a "car like ride " than a "sports car like ride ". I drive 25K a year and I just don't want to feel like it wasn't worth it . Thanks for any input guys

Paul

Love the forum. It's helped with numerous radio swaps, headlight bulbs, and door code finds :)

I too have an '02 V8 and have not driven a new Sport. I can say that '02-05 Ford Explorer V8's will run roughly 16 seconds flat 1/4 mile times stock. Sports will run about 14.5 seconds flat stock. Location and weather play a factor, but that's roughly what I've noticed.

Add a tune and the '02-05 can get down to mid-15's and the Sport will get down to mid-13's. I've had my Explorer for 8 years and starting to get the itch to get a newer Sport just for the extra power and ease of making more power.

Paul

It will ride night and day better than your EB.... I owned 06 EB Explorer V8 as for being quick it is, but in my book it is not fast.

I would say go drive one just to see what you think. I LOVE mine !!

It will ride night and day better than your EB.... I owned 06 EB Explorer V8 as for being quick it is, but in my book it is not fast.

I would say go drive one just to see what you think. I LOVE mine !!

I figured any of the 5th generation explorers would ride a notch above last decades. I too, have the itch and there are very FEW cars/trucks I have any interest in. But the looks, sound and feel of this new sport has me hooked.. Maybe I just don't like the 48k price.... But looking at f-150s with packages. It's the same range.

I would say, for those wondering- go drive one. I've been a bowtie guy forever, that being said-my wifi wanted a AWD or 4WD SUV. Her current car was a a 2013 Malibu LTZ with the 2.0 Turbo (Tuned, new exhaust and down pipe) I looked at every car manufacture and decided on the Xsport, I went into it very sceptical. I was hooked after the first test drive. Keep in mind, Ford in my mind was the last option. Wow was I wrong.

IMG_1027_zps7cd0248b.jpg

Mike

I would say, for those wondering- go drive one. I've been a bowtie guy forever, that being said-my wifi wanted a AWD or 4WD SUV. Her current car was a a 2013 Malibu LTZ with the 2.0 Turbo (Tuned, new exhaust and down pipe) I looked at every car manufacture and decided on the Xsport, I went into it very sceptical. I was hooked after the first test drive. Keep in mind, Ford in my mind was the last option. Wow was I wrong.

IMG_1027_zps7cd0248b.jpg

Mike

Beautiful!!! Welcome to EF!!! :thumbsup:

Does the Sport have the same ground clearance as the XLT? I saw a Sport the other day and it looked as low as my Focus SES.

Thanks.

Bob

one year on our Sport and counting

Beautiful!!! Welcome to EF!!! :thumbsup:

We have one year to go on our two year lease on our '14 ingot silver Sport with all the bellls and whistles. My plan at the moment is to turn it in with 24k and miss all the torque, power, looks and speed. I'm still pissed about the wind tunnel characteristics which suck every piece of dust, dirt, and road spray and deposit it on the rear window and deck lid. I guess it's an endemic problem as I see the same design on Land Rovers, Lexuses (sp?) and all SUV crossovers. Seems like a strange consensus on aerodynamics between brand engineers. It's impossible to keep that rearend clean. After 17k and 21 to 22 mpg, I'm happier than I was...ow especially with $2 gas.

Does the Sport have the same ground clearance as the XLT? I saw a Sport the other day and it looked as low as my Focus SES.

Thanks.

Bob

The Sport is lower (and stiffer) than the XLT.

IMG_1027_zps7cd0248b.jpg

Mike

What % tint is that? I want it to look like that and match the back as best as i can. I am guessing 20%?

Is that an after-market tint or can you order from the dealer/factory the percentage you want?

You can't order tints from the factory over and above the OEM tint. Usually different jurisdictions have different laws governing what is and isn't allowed. As for me, I've always been happy with the OEM.
In British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia, it's illegal to have any tint at all on driver and passenger side windows.
http://solcontrol.ca/tint_law_chart.php

Peter

Is that an after-market tint or can you order from the dealer/factory the percentage you want?

that is aftermarket..can't order from factory no matter where. MA legal limit is 35%....but i am going with 20%.

(helps that i know a statie and a place to pass inspection :D)

Yes it's after-market. As others have stated, there is no option for front window tint from the factory.

Mike

Sport has great acceleration and mileage compared to my '05. The ride is better with the 18 inch rims and sport tires over the 18 inch rims on the other models. Certainly noticeable on rough roads and potholes but it is stiffer and corners far better than the other E Models. The overall ride and handling is much improved. The worst was my '93 with cross beam suspension.
When you get on the gas, the Sport really moves. It does help to improve mileage by using the paddle shifters to over-ride the automatic to the higher gear once you are at speed.

Sport has great acceleration and mileage compared to my '05. The ride is better with the 18 inch rims and sport tires over the 18 inch rims on the other models. Certainly noticeable on rough roads and potholes but it is stiffer and corners far better than the other E Models. The overall ride and handling is much improved. The worst was my '93 with cross beam suspension.
When you get on the gas, the Sport really moves. It does help to improve mileage by using the paddle shifters to over-ride the automatic to the higher gear once you are at speed.

Did you swap wheels? Otherwise, the stock Sport wheels are 20" ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oops. Typo. Yes, it has 20 inch wheels and the ride is better than with 18 inch in other models. Road bumps not as harsh.

Back