How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

C55B7ADA-B159-4D93-87E1-364984A194FF.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice! So you just eliminated the chrome housing part altogether? Looks like it will work just fine! Where did you find those LED's?

I'll post up my conglomeration of LEDs once I leave work today.

And no I utilized the chrome piece in both locations I just removed the little black ring.

Has anyone else been experiencing problems with their LED bulbs over the licence plate? I ordered a bunch of cheap 194 LED's off Amazon a couple years ago when I first replaced all the lights. All the interior LED's are working perfectly. But I've had to replace a failing LED over the licence plate 5-6 times in the past 2 years. The LED panels begin to fail and blink, giving the exterior of my Ex a disco vibe. It's an easy replacement but it gets annoying being told by cars following me there is something wrong with my plate lights.

I'm just curious if I need to buy higher quality LED's (if so, which suppliers have others used) or if I need to think of another resolution. FYI, I have tried LED's over the licence plates with a resistor and without. There is no difference in failure rate.

3rd row led upgrade

Has anyone had any luck on the 3rd row dome light upgrade yet?

Welcome to the Forum 2015 Xplorer.:wavey:
I believe the answer to your question is YES. It may even be in this thread but I'm sure it has been done.
Also, it would be very helpful in addressing future concerns if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so it always shows in the margin.

Peter

Yes 268 & 269. What is needed to make that happen.

Thanks Peterk9 I think it's done right.

Yes 268 & 269. What is needed to make that happen.

All the information you need is listed in this thread. Some of it just a page or two prior to your posting. Take a look.

A thanks guys. I'm new here. Feel like a tourist. Haha.

Anybody took a stab at the vanity replacements to led on a 2015 Explorer? These lights are extremely small and look similar to the 168 wedge bulbs.

Peter thanks I checked out 114 and it seems simple enough. Thanks for your help.

I did the vanity lights but didn't use a direct led replacement. I cut out the original bulb and socket and soldered a 194 directly into the harness. My wife wanted them much brighter however some others have said it becomes too bright with 194's.

I've ordered some T5 led bulbs the guy said there should be 3 led lights on one "bulb". We shall see. T5 was $3.50 each. I have found an extremely great lighting company out of Houston Texas called Fyre Flys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Changed the vanity lights on my 2015 Xplorer. Extremely easy. The T5 LED lights work great. Slide the lens over and remove. There is two Phillips screws behind the lens. Remove both screws and the entire mirror fixture will come off. On the back there is a snap on light housing. The bulb is a pain to remove (I used middle nose pliers carefully) and it will pop out. Take a small pocket screwdriver and bend the prongs inward to make a tighter fit for the LED bulb. Then reassemble. Easy.

Back