Explorer Sport - fuel? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport - fuel?

What grade of fuel do you use in your Sport?

• Regular 87

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • mid grade 89

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Premium 91-93

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • I use more than one grade

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I'm tuned I have to run Premium

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters
It's not about being duped. It's about buying a Sport because of the "Sport features" (suspension and engine). If you are going to take a 10% hit on power and not take full advantage of the Sport, then why get it?

Because a Sport minus 10% > Non-Sport. Just my $0.02.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run 87 my sport gets terrible gas milage i see 12.5 and can literaly watch the needle sink as i drive it...lol i only hope gas prices stay down ...

I average 15.8 MPG with only 1350 miles on the ODO. I've been running 91 octane after I ran the 87 out from the initial dealer fill-up. The specs that Ford (HP-TQ) has on the Sport were not done on 86 octane fuel.

To each his own, but I bought a sport to be a sport not a limited.

I don't have a Sport but have the same engine and in my opinion the performance of the Ecoboost using 87 octane is far above that of Limited. I had the 2011 Limited.

Peter

I run 87 my sport gets terrible gas milage i see 12.5 and can literaly watch the needle sink as i drive it...lol i only hope gas prices stay down ...

I run Shell 87 in the 15 sport and getting 21 AVG MPG. I filled up with a tank of 91 today, to see if I notice the difference. 1400 on the OD.

The dealer advised me to use the high octane when I tow, which is only during the summer.

I run Shell 87 in the 15 sport and getting 21 AVG MPG. I filled up with a tank of 91 today, to see if I notice the difference. 1400 on the OD.

The dealer advised me to use the high octane when I tow, which is only during the summer.

It will take more then one tank (ecu needs to learn and adjust fuel trims), but trust me you will feel the difference.

I don't run my vehicle hard. I began using 87 octane and then switched to 91 octane for the last 7 or 8 fill ups and can't really say I've noticed a difference.

Peter

I don't run my vehicle hard. I began using 87 octane and then switched to 91 octane for the last 7 or 8 fill ups and can't really say I've noticed a difference.

Peter

Hmmm... Well in that case, why bother. I drive the **** out of mine. I personally bought the performance engine to perform :D

It will take more then one tank (ecu needs to learn and adjust fuel trims), but trust me you will feel the difference.

I'm on my 4th tank of 91. All I can say, I heard someone say they had a problem paying 50K for an EX. Using 91 plus octane in your Sport, will make you feel better really quick! :D

I'm on my 4th tank of 91. All I can say, I heard someone say they had a problem paying 50K for an EX. Using 91 plus octane in your Sport, will make you feel better really quick! :D

It does make a difference. When I first bought mine, I was disappointed in the performance. Previous vehicle was a tuned 2013 Malibu 2.0 ltr turbo and my expectations were higher than most.

Once I ran three or four tanks a premium thru the ex, I was pleasantly surprised. Still contemplating a tune, just rolled over 2K on the ODO.

Mike

oops!

Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this thread and merged yours with it. There aren't too many things that haven't already been dicussed.
As per the Owner's Guide;

2.0L/3.5L EcoBoost® engines:
Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is
recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an
octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with
octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Premium fuel will provide
improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such
as trailer tow

It is up to you which you wish to use. I started off using 87 and then tried 91 and didn't really notice any difference given my driving style. I have had my MKT almost a year now and have yet to really 'open it up'.

Peter

I put in 89 today for my first fill up. My last tank drank gas like no tomorrow..lets see what this tank does

There have been posts that it may take a few tanks of gas for the sensors to get everything in line. Not sure if that is a fact or not so it might be best to use a few tanks of a particular octane before trying another.

Peter

I've been putting nothing but premium in since I got it, owners wife drove mine for about 3,000 miles before I got it and I dout she put anything but regular in it. I notice a difference between now and when I got it, but I'm still only averaging 17mpg on 50/50 city highway 37 miles each way to work. Old explorer got about 20mpg on the same trip.

can some1 explain the Eco part of this truck? even wen i drive like gran ma ma i can watch the needle drop like it has a garden hose runnin out bak...

can some1 explain the Eco part of this truck? even wen i drive like gran ma ma i can watch the needle drop like it has a garden hose runnin out bak...

That's a funny topic which most folks seem to misunderstand. E.g. my friend was surprised that the eco V6 was less fuel efficient than the stock v6.

The EcoBoost V6 is 'economical' compared to other engines with comparable power, meaning traditional V8 engines.

And I, for one, think that's true. I know several V8 truck guys who are now VERY happy with their EcoBoost V6 full-sized trucks.

Now, all that having been said, the Explorer is no Prius. Never will be. You can't beat the physics. A heavy vehicle with a large, not very aerodynamic profile will always need a lot of power to get going and face very heavy wind drag at highway speeds.

I'm pretty happy to get close to 20mpg on trips in a full-sized vehicle (and that's running un-modified and regular gas.) Might even do better once it's broken in a bit.

^^^:):thumbsup:
BTW, Ford has just rolled out it 5 millionth Ecoboost equipped vehicle.

Peter

That's a funny topic which most folks seem to misunderstand. E.g. my friend was surprised that the eco V6 was less fuel efficient than the stock v6.

The EcoBoost V6 is 'economical' compared to other engines with comparable power, meaning traditional V8 engines.

And I, for one, think that's true. I know several V8 truck guys who are now VERY happy with their EcoBoost V6 full-sized trucks.

Now, all that having been said, the Explorer is no Prius. Never will be. You can't beat the physics. A heavy vehicle with a large, not very aerodynamic profile will always need a lot of power to get going and face very heavy wind drag at highway speeds.

I'm pretty happy to get close to 20mpg on trips in a full-sized vehicle (and that's running un-modified and regular gas.) Might even do better once it's broken in a bit.
I would jump 4 joy @ 20mpg :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would jump 4 joy @ 20mpg :(

You should be getting in the same ballpark I am if you drive similarly. Note that I say "on trips" though, meaning a long drive with only a couple starts. Maybe 2/3 to 3/4 highway. I use cruise a lot on the highway, but I'm usually going 75-80 mph, so not slow.

I got 19.5 on my first trip (about 250 miles up to Maine and back) and very close to that (don't remember exactly) on another trip of about 140 miles last weekend. Calculating it at fill up was pretty close to what the trip computer said.

Now, I work from home and most of my daily trips are short, so I'll be happy if I see 16 on normal day-to-day stuff.

Still, all better than my 2003 Chevy Blazer, and this is a much bigger, faster, more stable, more fun vehicle!

Back