2002 Explorer 4.0L SOHC - Improve Fuel Economy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer 4.0L SOHC - Improve Fuel Economy

sslinn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
My Explorer has 183K KM / 114K Miles on it and I am hoping to keep it for a few more years. This won't be cost effective by me having it serviced in a shop. With advice here and Youtube I should be able to do most things myself.

My question is how can I increase my fuel economy. I just tested it and I am using 17L per 100 KM in the city. This isn't really that bad according to what I have read. I have recently replaced the fuel filter, the PCV valve, cleaned the TB and ran some fuel injector cleaner through. The air filter is good. It runs fine.

Is there an advantage to changing the plugs and wires? That is what the shop recommended last fall. I haven't been the best record keeper and the plugs and wires are either original or were replaced about 100K KM.

If so, any recommendations for plugs and wires. I am in Canada. Will what the parts store supplies be fine or should I get them from a Ford Dealership?

Thanks for your help in advance.

If the plugs and wires are original I would defiantly replace them. Get Motorcraft plugs and wires.

Air filter and tire inflation are crucial. Ethanol free gas is a huge jump in MPG. A tuner would help too, they sometimes come with different economy tunes as firmware. Synthetic lubricants help too, but most of what comes in that truck is synthetic anyway. And I think rolling resistance of different tire tread types can vary too. Also make sure you brakes don't drag too much.

Is there an advantage to changing the plugs and wires? That is what the shop recommended last fall. I haven't been the best record keeper and the plugs and wires are either original or were replaced about 100K KM.

If so, any recommendations for plugs and wires. I am in Canada. Will what the parts store supplies be fine or should I get them from a Ford Dealership?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Yes on changing plugs and wires and don't over tighten the plugs when installing them. The engine has an aluminum block. Do not use "anti-seize compound" on the plug threads, no need to. Changing the plugs on the V-6 is not hard to do. Do a forum search on plug changing and you can read up on some of the tips people have posted. Some people prefer using Motorcraft plugs and wires, but the "Autolite" brand works just as good. Single or double Platinum plugs are preferred. Do not buy the parts from a Ford dealership, you'll pay double for them there. Many in here use www.rockauto.com for buying and shipping their Ford parts. Use your VIN number when ordering Ford parts. Also, change out your "fuel filter" or have some shop do it for you, less messy.

Back