Time for tires | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was very happy with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires. Found that they have a little more aggressive tread than the Hankooks. In fact I had them installed the same day I picked up my 2011 Limited from the dealer.

Peter

Ditto what peter said. Excellent tires in the light snow we have had in Philadelphia. If you end up getting these tires make sure the place install them correctly. they are directional tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ditto what peter said. Excellent tires in the light snow we have had in Philadelphia. If you end up getting these tires make sure the place install them correctly. they are directional tires.
Good point. I actually had to go back the next day to the place I bought them as one side was installed backwards.:eek:

Peter

I just put the Nitto NT 421Q's on our 2011 Explorer and I feel like this tire sounds like an all terrain tire. I feel like I can feel the vibration in the brake peddle and steering wheel. Due to nails I actually had a bridgestone, firestone and two michelin tires that I thought were more smooth and quiet than these four new tires.

Do any of you think something else might be going on?

These have been the best SUV tires I've used on the Explorer. They are quiet and do well in rain and light/medium snow.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/dueler-hl-alenza

They are excellent thus far. 80,000 mi wear warranty. I put them on the Touareg, as a replacement for the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes which were TERRIBLE.

I'll probably put them on the Explorer as well, however the factory Michelin 18's have performed very well thru 60,000 miles and are still going. I may replace them with the OEM Michelin Lattitude HPs.

These have been the best SUV tires I've used on the Explorer. They are quiet and do well in rain and light/medium snow.

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire/dueler-hl-alenza

With all the snow you guys are getting this winter if you say they do well in snow, that would be a tested testimonial. We've had about 10" of snow all winter and melts within a day, so personally don't see the need and expense here for dedicated snow tires and wheels. When the time comes for tires will keep those on the short list, neighbor swears by them also.

tinner(bluesfan)

Not quite sure what region that pricing is based on, the Firestone dealer in my area has them for $189.:scratch:

I just put the Nitto NT 421Q's on our 2011 Explorer and I feel like this tire sounds like an all terrain tire. I feel like I can feel the vibration in the brake peddle and steering wheel. Due to nails I actually had a bridgestone, firestone and two michelin tires that I thought were more smooth and quiet than these four new tires.

Was it like this before the new tires? If not then it's the tires...if so maybe something else

Not quite sure what region that pricing is based on, the Firestone dealer in my area has them for $189.:scratch:
If you're referring to my post with the link, those are Canadian prices. While you can get the wheels here for about a third of the U.S. price, tires are another thing completely. A couple of members in the Chicago area actually came over to buy their Winter wheels in Windsor, Ontario.

Peter

Mine did that briefly for a couple hundred miles but seemed to smooth out.

I actually do think something else might be going on. Although a couple others have reported some minor road noise with the 421Q's at highway speeds, I cannot claim the same. Ours have been smooth as silk and not noisy in the least. These are not BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain tires and you should not be feeling the tread through the brake peddle or steering wheel.

For the road noise which others have reported, one thing I would recommend is to check your tire pressure. A lot of dealers/tire installers often inflate new tires as high as 50 or so pounds to ensure a good seal against the bead, and although the "good" ones will always go back and re-adjust the pressure to proper specs, not all do. Having a significantly over-inflated tire would certainly cause amplify road noise, although the vibration sounds more to me like one or more a poorly balanced wheels--or perhaps even a tire which is out-of-round and cannot be balanced.

I would head back to whomever mounted them, and have them take your truck for a spin to witness the issue. Please keep us posted on what the issue turns out to be.

Tim

I have a 2012 Explorer Limited AWD with the polished aluminum wheels. I have been looking at tires and like what I have been hearing about the Michelin Latitude Tour HPs. What I was wondering is has anyone put 245/50R20 or 265/50R20 tires on their Explorers? I know the stock Hankooks are 255/50R20, but the other sizes are within the 3% range. The reason I ask is that both the 245 and 265 are $75-100 per tire cheaper than the 255. Not sure why such a difference, but there is. I couldn't find any results in the forum searching for "245/50". Any recommendations would be appreciated.

You are right. No other posts on a 245/50. I can't account for the big difference in price like you mentioned. I did, however, find that the OEM size in that brand is a little cheaper in Canada which I find very strange. $300.99 here vs $323 on Tire Rack. Usually the tires here are quite a bit more $$ but the wheels are far less. Good luck.

Peter

I have a 2012 Explorer Limited AWD with the polished aluminum wheels. I have been looking at tires and like what I have been hearing about the Michelin Latitude Tour HPs. What I was wondering is has anyone put 245/50R20 or 265/50R20 tires on their Explorers? I know the stock Hankooks are 255/50R20, but the other sizes are within the 3% range. The reason I ask is that both the 245 and 265 are $75-100 per tire cheaper than the 255. Not sure why such a difference, but there is. I couldn't find any results in the forum searching for "245/50". Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Not to downplay the idea of saving money (believe me, this is the same conundrum I find myself in every time I buy tires), but if you consider the difference in cost between the tires you want and the offsize ones you're considering settling for (and not because they would offer you some benefit), keep in mind most people can get at least 2-3 years or more out of a set of tires....so is it possible that 300-400 bucks' difference over the course of <whatever your typical period of ownership is> maybe isn't all that crazy? Just something to consider.

Also, if you want to stick with the stock size, I would highly recommend the Nitto NT 421Q. At Discount Tire Direct, they're only $203/each. I've been running them (and loving them) on my 2011 Explorer and just bought them for my 2008 Infiniti EX35 last week:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=filterTireProducts.do&fl=&yr=2014&pc=15283&counter=0&ar=50&rd=20&vid=025336&cs=255

Tim

The stock hankooks in the bad are getting near wnd of life. I wont dare keep them next winter. Even in the rain they are not good at all and they are not great comfort wise Will be replacing come summer with the bridgestone dueler line

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back