Time for tires | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the OEM Hankooks are great, used them in snow too. You should have opted for the Continental $850 upgrade to Z rated summer only tires then bought dedicated winters. I will next time on my 16/17MY.

Speaking of tires looks like China owns Pirelli now too.......

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chemchina-to-buy-pirelli-for-77b-87970.html

idk how many miles are on yours..but my car only has 19K and the rears are getting pretty far down there and they are a bit noisy ect.

Light rain the other night didn't feel safe on highway at all

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many times have you rotated them? Do you use the front to back and back to front or the crossover method? It would seem strange to see the rears wear down considering the vehicle is basically FWD. Has the alignment been checked?
I can't comment much on the Hankooks from personal experience. I had them removed from my 2011 Explorer the day I picked it up. I have them on my MKT and find them very quiet. I use dedicated Winter tires so the Hankooks won't have many miles on them by the time my 3 year lease is up. Only about 4400 miles base on last Summer's mileage of 1456 mi.

Peter

How many times have you rotated them? Do you use the front to back and back to front or the crossover method? It would seem strange to see the rears wear down considering the vehicle is basically FWD. Has the alignment been checked?

Peter

I got the alignment sheet from the dealer. The front tires have good tread...backs not really. I have only had the truck 1.5 weeks now

I got the alignment sheet from the dealer. The front tires have good tread...backs not really. I have only had the truck 1.5 weeks now
Perhaps the previous owner had them on the front and moved them to the back. If he/she did a lot of quick starts it might explain the wear. I think the dealer should be able to pull up the past service records.

Peter

Perhaps the previous owner had them on the front and moved them to the back. If he/she did a lot of quick starts it might explain the wear. I think the dealer should be able to pull up the past service records.

Peter

Ya when i go in this week i will ask. Before me it was a ford rep car in Michigan. But with the rears not great...will have to replace soon. I don't mind as i am not a fan of these tires at all :)

idk how many miles are on yours..but my car only has 19K and the rears are getting pretty far down there and they are a bit noisy ect.

Light rain the other night didn't feel safe on highway at all

12,574 miles

Now that I've got just over 5,000 miles on my Explorer, I think I can offer some input.

Having picked up the car in November, I decided to keep the regular Hankook tires on it. New York wasn't really hit with snow through December and January, but it made a frequent appearance through February and early March. To my surprise, the Hankooks handled beautifully on thick snow. I read all of these negative opinions about how the traction is so poor in snow, and even not too good in rain, but didn't find this to be the case.

From my experience to this point, they're great tires for the Explorer. They're soft, smooth, quiet and handle well in poor conditions. I'll see what they're like when they're much more worn, but at the 5,000 mile mark they're still going strong.

Now that I've got just over 5,000 miles on my Explorer, I think I can offer some input.

Having picked up the car in November, I decided to keep the regular Hankook tires on it. New York wasn't really hit with snow through December and January, but it made a frequent appearance through February and early March. To my surprise, the Hankooks handled beautifully on thick snow. I read all of these negative opinions about how the traction is so poor in snow, and even not too good in rain, but didn't find this to be the case.

From my experience to this point, they're great tires for the Explorer. They're soft, smooth, quiet and handle well in poor conditions. I'll see what they're like when they're much more worn, but at the 5,000 mile mark they're still going strong.

I kind of wish i got a chance to review them when new..but i got them with 19k miles so thats where my review starts unfortunatly

I got my 2015 Explorer Limited in late Jan and had plenty of snow in northern NJ (same weather as Westchester, generally). The Hankooks performed fine. I didn't do any long trips but it had no problems in slush and climbing short steep hills that populate my area. My driveway has an incline and is often icy due to lack of sun. Many a vistor's car has encountered trouble but the Explorer was fine - didn't even use snow mode.

Not to downplay the idea of saving money (believe me, this is the same conundrum I find myself in every time I buy tires), but if you consider the difference in cost between the tires you want and the offsize ones you're considering settling for (and not because they would offer you some benefit), keep in mind most people can get at least 2-3 years or more out of a set of tires....so is it possible that 300-400 bucks' difference over the course of <whatever your typical period of ownership is> maybe isn't all that crazy? Just something to consider.

Also, if you want to stick with the stock size, I would highly recommend the Nitto NT 421Q. At Discount Tire Direct, they're only $203/each. I've been running them (and loving them) on my 2011 Explorer and just bought them for my 2008 Infiniti EX35 last week:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=filterTireProducts.do&fl=&yr=2014&pc=15283&counter=0&ar=50&rd=20&vid=025336&cs=255

Tim

Thanks for the feedback and Nitto recommendation. The thing is, it's not JUST about saving money. I believe I saw that some of the 2015 Explorers have 245/50R20 tires on them (at least it said so in a brochure I saw). And I am comparing the exact same tire (Michelin Latitude Tour HP), just different sizes of it (I'm not sure I have a preference on size). So I was just trying to find out if anyone has had any experience with 245/50R20 or 265/50R20 size tires on their Explorers, and if they do, what their experience is, especially if they also have experience with 255/50R20. I also have dedicated winter wheels and tires (Bridgestone Blizzak 245/60R18 on black Rage R20 wheels).

I would concur with that as well. Mine did fine in some deep snow (10"+) this winter, both with and without Snow mode. It was actually a pleasant surprise considering all the negative reviews, and for now, I have no interest in searching for any new tires until these wear down. I still wish the Goodyear Fortera Triple-Tred was available in this size, but I'm sure these will be fine for several years at least.

Does anyone have the Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia tires?

I have a set of brand new Pirelli Scorpion 255/50R20 that will be installed on Wednesday in place of the Bridge stone Blizzak 245/60R18. (Along with brand new RTX Allure 20" mags)

They seem to be reviewed in the top 3 along with Michelin.

I will give some feedback on how they handle. As far as longevity goes we'll have to wait to tell but tread is warrantied for 65 000

New replacement tires on 2011 XLT

Just wanted to let everyone know a couple of things.

1. I got 66,500 out of the OEM tires on the 2011 Ex. Thought that was outstanding, and could have probably gone another 4-6,000, but...

2. Firestone was having a sale. Buy 3, get one free. Put a full set of Destination LE2's on today, and what a difference! Smoother, and you can't even hear them at highway speeds, much less in the city.

Everyone has their favorites, but these are worth looking into. Got great reviews on Tire Rack.

I replaced the OEM's with the same size: 245/60/18. Thought about going a little narrower, but decided against it at the last minute.

Just my $.02

why did you consider going more narrow?

Bridgestone Dueler Tire

I have 55,000 miles and time for tire replacement. After researching different tires reviews I found that Bridgestone Dueler tires have good quality. Any experience with either Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 800AA or Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia 640 AA?

I have 55,000 miles and time for tire replacement. After researching different tires reviews I found that Bridgestone Dueler tires have good quality. Any experience with either Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 800AA or Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia 640 AA?

I'm running the Alenza's on my Touareg. I plan on putting them on the Ex. (18's). Excellent wear and performance thus far. 800 wear rating, and 80,000 mi. warranty.

I have the Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia on my Nissan Murano. Nice, quiet, smooth riding tire. Also gave me good traction this winter. They are supposed to increase gas mileage, I'll let you be the judge of that, but I'm pleased with the tire. They are much better than the Goodyear Eagle tire that came on the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back