How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

LEDS used

Very nice! So you just eliminated the chrome housing part altogether? Looks like it will work just fine! Where did you find those LED's?

If its still relevant here is my conglomeration....

Headlights....

(these are insane and put HIDS to shame! have a brand new extra set I will sell for a reasonable price. some modification to the rear of the bulb will need to be done if you want to use your rubber seal)

Fog lights/DRL....

front map lights.....

vanity lights.......

(have 8 leftover if anyone needs some)

2nd row map lights.......

3rd row map light.....

cargo area light on the driver side.......

puddle lights which they included free licenses plate lights with the purchase.......

Glove box.......
Forgot where I got it, but I'm pretty sure it was a side firing 6 smd led....

happy modding!!! big thanks to everyone who put in their time and write ups on this thread! I used them along with some of my own ingenuity to complete my setup!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any pics of the fog lights after they are installed? I assume a little wiring has to take place since the fog lights do not normally light unless the headlamps are also shining.

Thanks for this great thread, I am going to start with my map lights (non-sunroof) and thinking of removing the light assembly but curious on the best/easiest/non-damaging way of removing the unit? - please advise.

So I was able to get the map light (front) assembly out but for some reason my left (driver) side one won't light up with the LED bulb but the right side will. tested by LED and OEM blubs. OEM still works, on the L/H one, but not the LED. no bent tabs from what I can tell ... any ideas?

Some bulbs just need to be flipped around. Try that and also try swapping it to another location. You may have a faulty bulb.

Some bulbs just need to be flipped around. Try that and also try swapping it to another location. You may have a faulty bulb.

That's what I thought but then the other LED wouldn't work in the left side but did on the right (in either direction) but the original bulb works on leftside.

Very strange.

That's what I thought but then the other LED wouldn't work in the left side but did on the right (in either direction) but the original bulb works on leftside.

Very strange.

That's very odd. I'm wondering if you are getting the right amount of voltage to that side? I'm not sure what it is supposed to be, I would guess 12v, but you could put a voltmeter on the terminals and see if its low. If I get a chance I'll see what mine read and let you know.

Yeah I will do that, but i did order another set of bulbs <just in case> but will certainly measure if this doesn't work. Thanks for the offer!

If its still relevant here is my conglomeration....

Headlights....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stock-Hi...amp-/281608213783?hash=item4191285517&vxp=mtr
(these are insane and put HIDS to shame! have a brand new extra set I will sell for a reasonable price. some modification to the rear of the bulb will need to be done if you want to use your rubber seal)

Fog lights/DRL....
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/20W-High-Power-CREELED-Fog-Lamp-Assemblies-p/70-760.htm

front map lights.....
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/9-SMD-T10-LED-bulbs-158-161-168-2825-2821-p/10-001.htm

vanity lights.......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111347435547?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
(have 8 leftover if anyone needs some)

2nd row map lights.......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310788108377?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

3rd row map light.....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251341334129?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

cargo area light on the driver side.......
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/5W-CREE-High-Power-578-211-2-LED-Bulbs-p/10-108.htm

puddle lights which they included free licenses plate lights with the purchase.......
http://drivebright.com/home/shop/v4-extreme-led-puddle-light-pack-brightest/

happy modding!!! big thanks to everyone who put in their time and write ups on this thread! I used them along with some of my own ingenuity to complete my setup!!

nice:salute:

Any pics of the fog lights after they are installed? I assume a little wiring has to take place since the fog lights do not normally light unless the headlamps are also shining.

I've been slammed at work. I'll get you some photos. As for the wiring, I went to the negative terminal of the battery and then into either 91 or 78 of the fuse block in the engine bay. This allowed them to only come on when the engine is on or started and won't run when accessories are powered.

I've been slammed at work. I'll get you some photos. As for the wiring, I went to the negative terminal of the battery and then into either 91 or 78 of the fuse block in the engine bay. This allowed them to only come on when the engine is on or started and won't run when accessories are powered.

Damn! 169 for fog lights? :eek: I hope they are worth it. I installed those headlights you sent me, and they are awesome! I'm looking for some for my F150 but cant find any.

Damn! 169 for fog lights? :eek: I hope they are worth it. I installed those headlights you sent me, and they are awesome! I'm looking for some for my F150 but cant find any.

Yeah they are worth it. Wanted DRL but also led fog lights. I always try to keep everything clean and as close to OEM as possible so those fogs with out any modification or adhesive crap, it was a no brainier. Same with those LED headlights, you get what you pay for. What bulb size does the F-150 use?

Very true, I've found out that the hard way many times. Quality isn't cheap. It uses an H13 for the headlight. I found some other brands but none had the 9000LM or 90W output like the ones you found.

On a side note I just ordered these for the fog lights on the Explorer:

I love the white light of those headlights on the Explorer, what a difference!

Edit: I just found the Philips kit for the F150, but only a 6000lm. Hmm seems that's the highest.

Very true, I've found out that the hard way many times. Quality isn't cheap. It uses an H13 for the headlight. I found some other brands but none had the 9000LM or 90W output like the ones you found.

On a side note I just ordered these for the fog lights on the Explorer:

I love the white light of those headlights on the Explorer, what a difference!

Yeah the 6k is the way to go, for me aesthetics as well as visibility at night.
F48F71D4-AFE5-4708-8716-4B4EA178E594.jpg

12A81F2E-60A2-41E2-A2C1-51555FFBF8C2.jpg

Just some quick shots as wifey was backing out for work. Photos really don't do them justice. I'll get some better ones another day.

Here is the exact ones, just h13. They are the Philips led's. That's what I always try to use. I've built two LED fixtures for my fish tanks and that's all I try to use is the Philips. They are awesome. More expensive but worth it.

This shows how much of an LED ***** I am....
B8F07AED-C66F-4BC9-B354-1782289313E5.jpg

Dang why couldn't I find those! They seem to be worth the money but Ill probably wait till I replace my headlight housings on the truck. They are pretty yellowed so no use putting sweet white LED bulbs in yellowed housings. Thanks for the link! Your Explorer looks great too, the fogs seem just as bright as the headlights!

Yeah they are pretty bright, I'm pleased, FYI it's the wife's grocery getter! I drive it maybe once a month. Got a deal on a magna flow exhaust off the forum and some dvd headrests on their way too for the kids then I'm done. Try a baking soda toothpaste, let it dry a little on the headlight and then get a buffer for your drill and hit your headlight. Works like a champ. Then get a sealer and they should look good as new.
85128599-7858-49F9-A1D4-B1E0FC8DF364.jpg

Side view with her 22's and caliper covers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've tried a good restoration kit and it cleared them up but didn't remove the yellow. They are 11 years old, not too worried about replacing them. The Explorer is my wife's too, don't get to drive it much either lol.

Back