Remote start smart phone app ? | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote start smart phone app ?

mine takes 1 to 4 minutes. the think it depends on your cell network traffic

In the test I have run, alert time has ranged from 10-40 seconds or so. seems sufficient. I suspect its all about how clear of a network signal the kit has at the time of alarm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks guys, likely mine is not acting normally then and I will have to start testing it to get some average response times.

Also when you get the first response it asks you to send a reply back in order to get the specific alarm trigger right?

Hi Everyone,

I changed my occupation and work in the auto industry now. So, i choose to park in the back 50, to keep my vehicles safe. However summer is approaching and knowing how hot it will get here- I am looking to add this feature to my Ex. Our sister Lincoln dealer shared they could add this at cost.

My question is, I park a minimum of 3 football fields away from my office, is that distance too significant to work? If this does work, I may add to the other cars in my fleet.

Thank you!

Hi Everyone,

I changed my occupation and work in the auto industry now. So, i choose to park in the back 50, to keep my vehicles safe. However summer is approaching and knowing how hot it will get here- I am looking to add this feature to my Ex. Our sister Lincoln dealer shared they could add this at cost.

My question is, I park a minimum of 3 football fields away from my office, is that distance too significant to work? If this does work, I may add to the other cars in my fleet.

Thank you!

AZmom, I have the phone remote start on my EX and work in Manhattan while I live on the border of Long Island and Queens - that's about 25 miles. I can easily start my car. I once tried starting it from Las Vegas and it worked, also from Puerto Rico and it still worked. Granted I had cell service and the car was not in a garage. I don't think your 3 football fields away is an issue. I constantly start my car while I am in movie theaters just before the movie ends so its nice and toasty warm in the winter also.

Tip, ive had mine for about 2.5 years and haven't paid the annual membership ever...you may get lucky also.

It has nothing to do with distance. The Ex needs to have a cell phone signal for it to work. The module has a sim card in it and operates via cell phone tower. If it has a signal it will work anywhere in the US and you can be anywhere with your phone uaing the signal or wifi.

That's great info. . Thank you! There's no issue with cell service, my car is open to the elements for now, we have plans to do construction. So until then, this is what I need to do, before it hits 100 plus ridiculous temperatures here.

Thank you, now I need to call Lincoln to schedule. Yay

AZmom, I have the phone remote start on my EX and work in Manhattan while I live on the border of Long Island and Queens - that's about 25 miles. I can easily start my car. I once tried starting it from Las Vegas and it worked, also from Puerto Rico and it still worked. Granted I had cell service and the car was not in a garage. I don't think your 3 football fields away is an issue. I constantly start my car while I am in movie theaters just before the movie ends so its nice and toasty warm in the winter also.

Tip, ive had mine for about 2.5 years and haven't paid the annual membership ever...you may get lucky also.

Must be nice to have that range. My 2015 xSport has nowhere near that range with the keyfob :(

Must be nice to have that range. My 2015 xSport has nowhere near that range with the keyfob :(

Let us know if you are interested in perhaps the long range system or the cellular system to improve this.

-Benny

It has nothing to do with distance. The Ex needs to have a cell phone signal for it to work. The module has a sim card in it and operates via cell phone tower. If it has a signal it will work anywhere in the US and you can be anywhere with your phone uaing the signal or wifi.

It also seems to work fine anywhere in North America, I have been at my house in AZ and unlocked it for someone in Vancouver and it only took a few seconds.

since I have a new job that has me working in the auto industry, I happened to stop by the Lincoln dealership (sister store). And the Ford rep was there, when Bob and I were discussing what I wanted as end result, she piped up and mentioned that there were new parts and showed the Ford parts brochure. Bob is hunting down my final pricing before we add it. Does anyone know or experienced these new parts? Are they enhancements? While I was there the Sales Director was asking me about the new Mustang so I was conducting two conversations at one time...ugh

Let us know if you are interested in perhaps the long range system or the cellular system to improve this.

-Benny
As a matter of fact I am. Do you guys have a website that I can look at?
Also is it possible to add the long range using the same keyfob I have? Or will I require an additional transmitter?
Also how far of a distance do I get if I get the cellular system.?

Also is it possible to add the long range using the same keyfob I have? Or will I require an additional transmitter?

I have the cell system. You can start your Ex from anywhere in the world. As long as you have cell reception. It's the one of the best purchases i have made. My vehicle is always heated or cooled to 22 degrees when I get in it. No matter if I'm a mile away or just getting off a plane at the airport. I can't start my Ex. It also has an alarm that sends me text messages when my alarm goes off. Love it.

Yes we do here is our Explorer Section http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/2011-2015-ford-explorer-accessories-c-29_97.html

We cannot extend the range of the original remote, The Long Range system will contain it's own smaller key fob.

Please let me know if you have any other questions,
-Benny

I have a 2013 Explorer Sport which has the factory remote start. I purchased the VSS installed it without any issues. I'm thinking of adding the RMU which seems an even easier install but I have a question. Does the installation of the RMU require the use of FORD IDS at any point eg activation? It seems from the installation instructions that IDS is only needed if you have key start ie not factory remote start - do I have this correct?

-mick

I have a 2013 Explorer Sport which has the factory remote start. I purchased the VSS installed it without any issues. I'm thinking of adding the RMU which seems an even easier install but I have a question. Does the installation of the RMU require the use of FORD IDS at any point eg activation? It seems from the installation instructions that IDS is only needed if you have key start ie not factory remote start - do I have this correct?

-mick

No IDS needed but a dealer does have to run the activation side of things through their dealer computer system.

-mick

No IDS needed but a dealer does have to run the activation side of things through their dealer computer system.

This is correct as no IDS is required since you have factory remote start but no dealer visit is required either for the RMU if purchased from us. We activate the RMU's over the phone for our customers as a courtesy.

Let us know if you are interested in more information

-Benny

I appreciate the reply's - looks like I'm good to go for another home project!

-mick

PS Benny, I've sent you a PM.

I managed to install the RMU and get it activated this week. Notifications via text and email are pretty much instantaneous from what I've seen so far. All works a treat. Thanks for the help!

-mick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Benny, I have sent you a PM.

~A

Back