Tranny flush question..... | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny flush question.....

Recommended (vs) Suitable

If it were me, I would (and did) use the Lucas Multi-Vehicle (#10418). Did you notice that MERCON V is first on their list of recommended applications? Evidently, this product was specifically designed to be a MERCON V fluid that also happens to be suitable for a number of other applications.

The Valvoline webpage for the Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC MERCON VI [~my link~] states:

"Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required."

The "Product Information" sheet (.pdf)] [~my link~] further states:
Suitable for use in:
Ford MERCON®, MERCON®V, MERCON®SP and MERCON®LV applications
GM DEXRON®-II, DEXRON®-III and DEXRON®-VI applications
Nissan/Infiniti Matic D, Matic J, Matic K, and Matic S applications
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III applications
Hyundai/ KIA SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV and SPH-IV applications
Subaru ATF and ATF-HP applications
Toyota/Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS
Honda/Acura ATF-Z1 (except in CVTs) applications
Allison C4 and TES-389 applications
Mercedes Benz NAG1 applications
Volvo passenger car applications and STD 1273.41
Volkswagen TL52162

There is a difference between recommended and suitable. Given a choice, I would go with recommended over suitable any day.

That being said, the Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc is a Full-Synthetic product and is therefore, theoretically, superior to the Semi-Synthetic Lucas Multi-Vehicle ATF (#10418).

It does bother me very much that Valvoline themselves does not specifically list MERCON V as recommended on their main webpage for this product.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Post #88
News Update: January 15, 2015
Ford Engineers Recommend Against One-Size-Fits-All Automatic Transmission Fluids

Engineers at Ford Motor Company have released a statement that says there is no one-size-fits-all-solution for automatic transmission fluids. The company says Ford transmissions are designed for use in many different service environments and operating conditions, and each transmission has its own set of fluid requirements. All Motorcraft Automatic Transmission Fluids (ATF) have specially formulated properties to meet unique requirements that result in optimal vehicle performance – something that cannot be achieved with just a single product on the shelf.

Motorcraft has boiled down their ATF offerings to eight fluids that service technicians and motorists can use to service all Ford and Lincoln vehicles. While the aftermarket may say there is a one-size-fits-all solution ("universal" ATF), each transmission needs the correct fluid to function properly.

Lucas 10418 appears to be a universal "one-size-fits-all" ATF. Following Ford's statement above,
they recommend using a specific product, in this case Mercon V per the TSB linked in post #95 .

http://lucasoil.com/products/transmission-products/lucas-oil-multi-vehicle-atf

Lucas 10418 appears to be a universal "one-size-fits-all" ATF. Following Ford's statement above, they recommend using a specific product, in this case Mercon V.

I would suggest either the Valvoline Mercon V or the Valvoline Dex/Merc Maxlife, either or both should be available @ your local Oreilly. Both are full Synthetic but the Mercon V isn't labeled that way, you can verify with Valvoline technical engineers. 1-800-TEAM-VAL

^ Bingo! :thumbsup:

These transmissions are finicky enough to be taking chances with universal ATF. Ditto with ALL service fluids including coolant.

Experience?

I have been running the Lucas #10418 for 40,000 miles, so far, with no issues whatsoever, and quite to the contrary, I have experienced improved performance. Do you ( [MENTION=278614]fastgascar[/MENTION] and [MENTION=106710]swshawaii[/MENTION]) have experience with the Valvoline Dex/Merc, or just distrust Lucas on general principal?

I do not hate Valvoline at all. Quite the opposite is true. I regularly use Valvoline motor oils, and do recommend those. The Valvoline MERCON V looks to be a fine product, and I would probably recommend it if I had any experience with it. However, I definitely would not recommend the Valvoline Dex/Merc product, for the reasons I stated above in my earlier post.

The Valvoline Dex/Merc would very much seem to fall into the category of a 'universal' or 'one size fits all' type product. So would AMSOIL. The same goes for the RoyalPurple. So would ALL other Full Synthetics! Are all Full Synthetics to be avoided just because they are tighter spec'd and therefore 'universal'?

The Lucas #10418 does seem to have been designed as a MERCON V alternative, that also happens to be suitable for other purposes, due to the tight spec of MERCON V. Any other brand of MERCON V would also be suitable for these other applications as well. The Lucas #10418 also happens to be affordable. That would also appear to be the case with the Valvoline MERCON V.

Ford wants you to buy Motorcraft products for obvious reasons. They also want you to bring your truck in to the stealership for service, because you are not qualified to work on your own vehicle. Newer vehicles do not even come with a tranny dipstick, to further illustrate this point.

BTW - I do not work for Lucas, but I am currently running it, with excellent results.

[MENTION=278614]fastgascar[/MENTION]: I live in the Lehigh Valley, in PA. Believe it or not, I have no local O'Reilly's. The poster asking the question, Toucan, lives in BELIZE ! I very much doubt that he has a local O'Reilly's either. And he did list the products that are locally available, and asked of an opinion on two of them: The Lucas #10418 , and the Valvoline Dex/Merc. Do you have experience with either of these products sir?

[MENTION=106710]swshawaii[/MENTION] : What are you running, sir?

Please speak of what you have experience with, not of your distrust of a product that you have no experience with.

:salute:

[I have posted no links on this page.]

I am currently running the Valvoline Dex/Merc maxlife, I had the factory Mercon V in the transmission. I have also used Mobil1 Synthetic ATF and have not had any issues. I don't have any experience with the Lucas ATF so I have no positive or negative feedback regarding there product.

Ironically Valvoline is conducting a 2 day symposium here this week. Cannot make contact with coordinators to lodge my "complaint" lol

They are making a drive to take over the market since the three Majors - Exxon, Texaco/Chevron, Shell (partial) left.

I have been running the Lucas #10418 for 40,000 miles, so far, with no issues whatsoever, and quite to the contrary, I have experienced improved performance. Do you ( [MENTION=278614]fastgascar[/MENTION] and [MENTION=106710]swshawaii[/MENTION]) have experience with the Valvoline Dex/Merc, or just distrust Lucas on general principal?

I do not hate Valvoline at all. Quite the opposite is true. I regularly use Valvoline motor oils, and do recommend those. The Valvoline MERCON V looks to be a fine product, and I would probably recommend it if I had any experience with it. However, I definitely would not recommend the Valvoline Dex/Merc product, for the reasons I stated above in my earlier post.

The Valvoline Dex/Merc would very much seem to fall into the category of a 'universal' or 'one size fits all' type product. So would AMSOIL. The same goes for the RoyalPurple. So would ALL other Full Synthetics! Are all Full Synthetics to be avoided just because they are tighter spec'd and therefore 'universal'?

The Lucas #10418 does seem to have been designed as a MERCON V alternative, that also happens to be suitable for other purposes, due to the tight spec of MERCON V. Any other brand of MERCON V would also be suitable for these other applications as well. The Lucas #10418 also happens to be affordable. That would also appear to be the case with the Valvoline MERCON V.

Ford wants you to buy Motorcraft products for obvious reasons. They also want you to bring your truck in to the stealership for service, because you are not qualified to work on your own vehicle. Newer vehicles do not even come with a tranny dipstick, to further illustrate this point.

BTW - I do not work for Lucas, but I am currently running it, with excellent results.

[MENTION=278614]fastgascar[/MENTION]: I live in the Lehigh Valley, in PA. Believe it or not, I have no local O'Reilly's. The poster asking the question, Toucan, lives in BELIZE ! I very much doubt that he has a local O'Reilly's either. And he did list the products that are locally available, and asked of an opinion on two of them: The Lucas #10418 , and the Valvoline Dex/Merc. Do you have experience with either of these products sir?

[MENTION=106710]swshawaii[/MENTION] : What are you running, sir?

Please speak of what you have experience with, not of your distrust of a product that you have no experience with.

:salute:

[I have posted no links on this page.]

Thanks for the calrrification to others!! I, after doing more reading tend to lean more towards the Lucas 10418 (as second choice). My third choice is the Valvoline Merc V Motorcraft V being the first. However it is a matter of availability so will most likely go with the Lucas. Unless, I can get a hold of one of the mobile used car dealers who can easily purchase the best one and bring it down overland for me. These guys are up and down the corridor.

By any means any discussion that can broaden my understanding of the various fluids available is appreciated.

Love the networking!!

Apologies Spuddy, I was confusing the mentioned Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc with their Mercon V specific ATF. Big difference, as you mentioned the MaxLife IS a universal fluid. Interesting enough, Valvoline says the Maxlife meets Mercon V spec in their FAQ's. Toucan, can you get the Valvoline Mercon V in the blue bottle?

Valvoline® ATF for MERCON® V applications
http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/valvoline/automatic-transmission-fluid/35

MaxLife® DEX/MERC ATF
http://www.valvoline.com/products/c...sion-products/automatic-transmission-fluid/37

Only concern with with the Valvoline Mercon V is this note in the product sheet. Avoiding Ford's steep licensing fees?
Ford and MERCON V are registered trademarks of Ford Motor Company. This is not a licensed Ford product

Valvoline ATF FAQ's
http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/system-fluids/automatic-transmission-fluid/

Good find, that was #5 on your list. $10 per quart. :eek:

And I thought Hawaii was expensive. LOL

Good find, that was #5 on your list. $10 per quart. :eek:

And I thought Hawaii was expensive. LOL

I think I will go with that.
Lol Hawaii - Ford here has the same for $13.00!!!

Do I have a tranny problem?

I have the issue too with my truck, when I shift to neutral and reverse engine is on, but in D or 2nd or 1st gear engine shuts off no OD flashing no code. Though engine oil blinks for about 2 seconds. I thought perhaps low ATF, dropped the pan, and got about 6quart. I change transmission filter and refill with new 9quarts of Mercon V. Same issue persist. I rebuilt the transmission 7months back though.
I get the truck to a slope, start engine, shift to neutral-parking brake off, truck rolls then I shift to D and rev up, the truck jerks and keeps moving, shifting all gears till I came to a complete stop. If I shift to N before halt engine stays on but shuts off if still in D.
Do I have a transmission issue or some sensor/electrical problem?.

2001 Ford Ranger XLT V6 4.0L, auto trans.

When stopped, truck surges forward when air vent / conditioner is turned on.

I had a local transmission shop change the trans fluid and filter. Ever since, if I am stopped in at a light and turn on the air, the truck starts surging forward a bit. Turn off the air, no change.

I noticed even turning on the air vent (not air conditioner) is turned on, a belt is kicked in. I would expect the engine to slow a bit, but not have the truck want to surge forward. Maybe the lower RPM kick in the torque converter? The truck drives fine otherwise, but now I am very aware of turning on the air.

I checked the trans fluid level and it seems OK. Can this be a side affect of the wrong fluid or too much fluid?

Thank you in advance!

This wont have anything to do with the fluid or the transmission itself.

The computer should raise the RPMs of the engine when the A/C compressor is engaged to compensate for the load the compressor has on the engine, this is a normal situation.

Maybe your RPMS are a little high to begin with and when the computer raises the RPMS when the compressor is on, its too high. Check for a vacuum leak, maybe they knocked a hose off when they were putting the fluid back in.

Back