• Register Today It's free!

Power seats

BobbyMarks

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer XLT - 2012
Last year the dealer replaced the two front seat power seat assembly, first was the driver seat early 2014 and second was the passenger seat late 2014, both under warranty, both issues were the same, stuck high position.

This morning I took the Explorer to the dealer as the passenger power seat was stuck in the high position again 5 months after the repair. Very unusual for this to happen again and replacing the part with a new seat motor assembly.

Note: warranty expired March 2015 but have extended warranty.

Anyways, service rep said this is very rare and they will take a close look at the issue.

As soon as I get a diag will revert.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not aware of any other member posting that they had this type of problem. Very strange. Do the other power functions work while the seat is in the fixed upper position?

Peter

I'm not aware of any other member posting that they had this type of problem. Very strange. Do the other power functions work while the seat is in the fixed upper position?

Peter

This is very odd indeed. Other power seat functions are operational, very odd.

BM

...Anyways, service rep said this is very rare and they will take a close look at the issue.

As soon as I get a diag will revert.

Thanks for offering to keep us posted, BobbyMarks. How many miles are on your Explorer now? I'll check in to see if you need my help after getting a diagnosis.

Crystal

Just curious.. when you say stuck in the high position, is it as high as the seat can go.. as in the max height? Not sure how the gearing is designed but if that is the case, I wonder if it is binding/locking and doesn't know how to reverse itself.

As Peter said, I have not heard of this from any other member in the 5 years that this model has been out.

Just curious.. when you say stuck in the high position, is it as high as the seat can go.. as in the max height? Not sure how the gearing is designed but if that is the case, I wonder if it is binding/locking and doesn't know how to reverse itself. As Peter said, I have not heard of this from any other member in the 5 years that this model has been out.

Hi blwnsmoke, when I say high I mean up position, about 3/4 up. When the wife uses the seat it is about that height.
To be honest, i do not know why this is happening. When we need to re-adjust the seat we do not put any weight to the seat/motors.
I did a search [MENTION=248173]for[/MENTION]um and there is nothing for the 5th gen Explorers.

Thanks for offering to keep us posted, BobbyMarks. How many miles are on your Explorer now? I'll check in to see if you need my help after getting a diagnosis. Crystal

Thanks Crystal. 29,500 miles on the clock.

Will let you guys know if help is needed.

Thanks in advance.

They called me mid-morning. Took the seat out, unplugged the motors and switch. It seems that ONE pin was not making good contact.

The put the plugs back in and worked. No charge from the dealer.

:scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch:

BM

They called me mid-morning. Took the seat out, unplugged the motors and switch. It seems that ONE pin was not making good contact.

The put the plugs back in and worked. No charge from the dealer.

:scratch::scratch::scratch::scratch:

BM

I'm glad your dealership got you sorted out, BobbyMarks. Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Crystal

I have a 2013 Explorer Limited with power seats. I wonder if anyone has the same issue that I am experiencing. I cannot tilt the seat forward. I can lower the front part of the seat by pushing the control down but when I pull the control to raise the back part of the seat, the entire seat moves up (not just the rear part of the seat). Even when the front part of the seat is at the lowest position, I am still sitting tilting back. My thighs are resting on the front seat support which is not comfortable on long drives. Does anyone have the same issue? Thanks.

I have 2 XLT's (2011) and both sets of seats operate the way you describe. Front will tilt up and down, but the rear of the seat only adjusts the entire seat height, not the tilt.

I think it is part of the engineering specs (flaws). I figured it was SOP.

On another note, I would give a bunch of money to know how to adjust the travel stops of moving the seat forward or backward. The wife's XLT goes back 1½" further than mine. anybody have any ideas? Nothing on U-tube I can find.

Thanks for your response.

The video that Ford posts on the syncmyride web-site (can be found on Youtube too) shows the front and rear part of the seat tilts independently. Just wondering if mine is broken or it was by design.

Welcome to the Forum LOS88.:wavey:
I believe the seats in my 2011 Limited worked the same way. Just tried the ones in my MKT and they also work as yours and briteboy's

Peter

Thanks peterk9.

I'm having the same problem. The front part of the passenger seats tilts but the rear part is stuck in the highest position. It feels like you're riding a big rig. I identified the motor (the closest to the door) pulled the connector and checked with my multimeter and I'm getting +/-12VDC (depending on the direction I push the button)

Truck only has 42k miles on it and I've only put on 12k of them in the past 12 months. I'll probably have to shell out another $100 for the deductible. I'm strongly considering selling this car. It's been one problem after another!

Back