2015 Explorer Storm Chasing Install/Mods | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer Storm Chasing Install/Mods

The vehicle was delivered to the house this morning. 2015 Ford Explorer 4x4 black in color. This is a pi right after delivery. (The front license plate bracket has already been removed using the trim things that someone on here suggested). A lot more mods to come. All emergency lightning has been orders along with communications equipment.

http://i.imgur.com/3b1CYDGh.jpg

I'm still debating on what to do with the front grill...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, I began to remove the stickers on the visors and after removing the first one I quickly noticed residue left on the fabric. Does anyone know how to remove this?

Also, I began to remove the stickers on the visors and after removing the first one I quickly noticed residue left on the fabric. Does anyone know how to remove this?

Search for the visor post, they did mention the stickers are like baked on, and after removal, they couldnt remove the rectangle shape from the fabric, which was slighlty lighter than the visor.
Cant remember about residue.
Also there was a link for some color matched pads that could be placed over the stickers.

You won't have any problem, I am running Phenix LED lights all the way around with a Havis console,UHF, VHF, Scanner,and Carson Siren. Never had a voltage issue one.

Here is a picture attached also. I can shoot you one of the interior console if you would like.

Attachments

• Drivers Front.jpg
    Drivers Front.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 533

Really nice ride man. Shoot me some more pics if you don't mind!

So my explorer has gone under the knife for four days. Should be getting it back Friday. I'll post pictures when it is complete!

Looking forward to photos!

I mounted five 1/4 wave antennas on my roof with the side rails. The rails are plastic and do not affect the antenna efficiency in any way. I saw no reason to remove it. I also run five radios plus docked laptop and rechargeable flashlight with a Havis console and power isn't an issue. If you were running incandescent warning lights, then power might be an issue. LED's current draw is so low, its not a problem.

I mounted five 1/4 wave antennas on my roof with the side rails. The rails are plastic and do not affect the antenna efficiency in any way. I saw no reason to remove it. I also run five radios plus docked laptop and rechargeable flashlight with a Havis console and power isn't an issue. If you were running incandescent warning lights, then power might be an issue. LED's current draw is so low, its not a problem.

Very nice. Do you have any pictures of the inside?

I am still waiting on a couple of console face plates. When I get everything wrapped up I will get some pics posted of the complete upfit.

I still advocate the Air-El AirDek that acts as a surrogate roof/ground plane for mounting antennas without drilling holes for all of them

FiNall the vehicle is finished! Can't pick it up until tomorrow :(

Thank you for reminding me :)

Interior/Console Image:
http://i.imgur.com/5kpRRXG.jpg
(The labels on the switch box are on order. The ones you see in the pic are from the old setup in my late 08 Escape.

Looking good. Pretty clean setup. Any other upcoming plans/mods for it?

Yup! Getting ready to get the grill painted black as well as the rear chrome strip above the license plate. Then I'm adding a Selina push bumper and a Whelen pioneer flood light. Should look something like this....

http://imgur.com/uLPdBGK

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am getting ready to purchase a 2015 black ford explorer 4x4 base. I found one at a local dealer that was just delivered however it has several things I plan to change/mod/add. The vehicle will be used as a daily driver along with storm chasing and EMS work.

Of course this is the civilian model so it comes with the silver grille and chrome explorer strip on the back hatch. I have searched and read several posts on here about grille mods painting vs. plastidip ect. I think my best, easiest and cheapest option would be to take those two parts to a local body shop and have them paint to match.

Since the roof will get two 800mhz low profile antennas along with a VHF antenna I would like to remove the luggage racks however I have seen several posts on here and it doesnt seem like its a feesable option so I may leave them like they are.

I also will be adding mostly rear emergency lightning (all whelen) for traffic warning along with a HAVIS console with three radios, a traffic adviser control box and switches.

The problem I have is the electrical system. Would I need a 2nd battery? Bigger alternator? What do I need to calculate as far as my lights and radios to see if the current stock alternator will work fine?

Suggestions/Tips?

i have a sound system in my 2013 explorer and i have 4 extra batteries in the back, an upgraded one under the hood, and a high output alternator. now obviously you dont need that much, but i would suggest adding another battery and maybe getting a bigger alternator to keep up. i had a stock one with the old system i had in it which i only had 2 extra batteries and i fried the stock alt

Back