New to me 2010 Mountaineer AWD V8

AZExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
Hi

Started here as with a 1991 Explorer 4.0L 4x4 a few years ago.

Now - i have had a 2010 Mercury Mountaineer Premier AWD 4.6L for an entire 3 days...

Just purchased today:
  1. Gibson 319692 exhaust
  2. TRAXX Front and back lift
  3. Superchips 1842
  4. K&N filter
  5. Double Plat Autolite
  6. Cooper Discoverer AT-3 265/60-R18

Going to have quite a party when the parts all get here and I can start plugging things in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

weeeeell.. looks like the Superchip is not going to work with the V8.. bummer.

4 sail now.. P-(

4 sail now.. P-(

When you get rid of it contact More Power Tuning they should be able to tune that truck. You will need an SCT flasher and a custom tune form them. I recommend it, they transformed my 4.0 truck, some people don´t believe in tuners but I do, they enhance drive ability and make the truck more enjoyable.

Gibson is in, Hypertech tune is installed

Dang, you would think the fellas at Gibson would listen a bit to some of the boards.. The pipe into the rear of the muffler STILL needs to be trimmed about half an inch and the old bolts to the cats WILL NOT WORK.. You need to get some grade 8 or SS to supplement...

PITA #1 was getting the hangers free. Lots of lube...
Hint - CUT the old exhaust behind the muffler where it starts up.. just do it

PITA #2 was the back pipe fitting needing trim.
Hint - go ahead - test it.. but DO NOT FORCE it.. then go ahead and cut it.

PITA #3 lining up the last pipe around the spare tire guide.
Hint - Use blocks of wood to hold it pressed into place and then clamp. I will be having it welded once my neighborhood lift is clear of a 4.0 to 5.0 Ranger swap.

It sounds good. Not my 5.4l Expedition with Headers/High Flo Cats/ Gibson CBack.. but it is nice. I don't like it loud, but this rumbles like a V8 should now.

If you do not want to hear it - just leave the exhaust alone. Really.

Dang, you would think the fellas at Gibson would listen a bit to some of the boards.. The pipe into the rear of the muffler STILL needs to be trimmed about half an inch and the old bolts to the cats WILL NOT WORK.. You need to get some grade 8 or SS to supplement...

PITA #1 was getting the hangers free. Lots of lube...
Hint - CUT the old exhaust behind the muffler where it starts up.. just do it

PITA #2 was the back pipe fitting needing trim.
Hint - go ahead - test it.. but DO NOT FORCE it.. then go ahead and cut it.

PITA #3 lining up the last pipe around the spare tire guide.
Hint - Use blocks of wood to hold it pressed into place and then clamp. I will be having it welded once my neighborhood lift is clear of a 4.0 to 5.0 Ranger swap.

It sounds good. Not my 5.4l Expedition with Headers/High Flo Cats/ Gibson CBack.. but it is nice. I don't like it loud, but this rumbles like a V8 should now.

If you do not want to hear it - just leave the exhaust alone. Really.

You could have referenced the Gibson exhaust thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359385

Transmission fluid drain and filter replacement - mag was fuzzy as expected
Diff fluids drained - back was black, front was clean
Transfer case fluid swapped - clean

Now just waiting to install the TRAXDA and an alignment.

part 4

Truxxx front installed. Side one - 2 hours, Side two, 30 minutes.

Rear go on Tomorrow.

For those doing the transmission pan drop on the 6r80, mine was just 5qt+, not 7qt+. Filling was not fun and the extra qt i tried to stuff in there shot out the hole when I removed the fill tube. messy, messy... I wish I had done the lift first.

4 sail now.. P-(

Fear not! SCT has you covered:
http://www.sctflash.com/products.php?PID=74&VID=466

Or their other tuners (same tune - different device): http://www.sctflash.com/showproducts.php

I use that device on both my Focus ST and 2006 Explorer 4.6L

Of course though, do note, tuners don't make NEAR the power on vehicles with no forced induction vs those that do. For instance on the explorer, it adds maybe 10-15hp, but you don't really notice unless you're on the dang thing.

On the Focus ST (2.0L turbo) - it's like a COMPLETELY different car when I load up the tune.

Also, if you're so inclined, you can load up custom tunes on the device. I know a few reputable tuners if you're interested - let me know. I do this exact thing on my Focus. I have SCT's pre-loaded tune maps, but I also have a custom tuner that has more aggressive files he's created for my vehicle. They can do the same for the explorer.

Back