List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Did this guy ever get a return phone call?!?! Kind of riduclous if you ask me, amd im not a super critical person normally. But you drop thousands of dollars and they could give a **** less it seems. Making me start to reconsider my purchase im about to make in a week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't really tell from that picture. Does it feel hard like a weld or does it feel like a paint bubble? From the 2015's I saw on t he lot that are starting I never opened a hood. I ran my fingerss along the lip. If I felt a bump or rough spot that car will have a problem.

From what I remember the bumps felt pretty solid. I'am due for my NYS Inspection in June. I'll get the service departments opinion when I go in.

Did this guy ever get a return phone call?!?! Kind of riduclous if you ask me, amd im not a super critical person normally. But you drop thousands of dollars and they could give a **** less it seems. Making me start to reconsider my purchase im about to make in a week.

I would feel the same way if I was in your position. All I can say is test drive as many vehicles as you can. Once you narrow it to a few check the forums for common issues the buyers are experiencing.

Don't get me wrong I love my ExSport, but once a sign of this issue comes up this vehicle is gone and I'm not looking back. Mine is leased and I am still considering buying it out at the end (if all is well) but what bugs me is even the owners that had the repairs done by Ford are still seeing the bubbles reoccur.

I just found a paint bubble and crack in the paint of the outer edge of my hood. :( Is there a way I could just stop the bubble from getting bigger and just seal it myself?

I just found a paint bubble and crack in the paint of the outer edge of my hood. :( Is there a way I could just stop the bubble from getting bigger and just seal it myself?

Nope

From what I remember the bumps felt pretty solid. I'am due for my NYS Inspection in June. I'll get the service departments opinion when I go in.

Just be careful what their advice is. They might try to down play it and the next thing you know your out of warranty and then the costs are out of your pocket then.

Just be careful what their advice is. They might try to down play it and the next thing you know your out of warranty and then the costs are out of your pocket then.

Yeah that's the mindset I'm in. Expect the worst hope for the best.

2013 Hood Paint Warranty Issue

Is anyone else having a problem with the paint on their hood bubbling on the edge? Was told that the hoods are now aluminum and they weren't coated correctly. Over 1,300 on backorder. So instead of replacing all those hoods, Ford comes up with a "chemical process" to fix it. Yeah, right! My Explorer has been at dealership now for 2 weeks getting a new paint job on the hood. I went to pick it up last Tuesday and they did a crappy paint job on it. Didn't paint all the way over the edge, edges bumpy and rough. Poor service writer (I think he's new), a manager told him to tell me that I would have to take it up with the body shop, that as far as they were concerned Ford had fixed the warranty issue. I don't think so. It looked just as bad as when I originally dropped it off. Had to ask for a Service Manager and then they changed their tune. Ford kept my vehicle and had the hood painted again. Was suppose to be ready yesterday. The Service Manager went to check on it and he rejected the paint job this time. I mean really. Is it that hard to paint a hood? Can I insist on another body shop painting it? Thanks. Dana

Welcome to the Forum agilitymom5.:wavey:
Using the Forum's 'search' program I found this thread and merged yours with it. You can always take your vehicle to another dealer but in this case I don't know if another dealer's body shop would be willing to undertake fixing something that another has worked on. I guess you could always call around. All the 5th generation Explorers have the aluminum hood. Good luck.

Peter

Is anyone else having a problem with the paint on their hood bubbling on the edge? Was told that the hoods are now aluminum and they weren't coated correctly. Over 1,300 on backorder. So instead of replacing all those hoods, Ford comes up with a "chemical process" to fix it. Yeah, right! My Explorer has been at dealership now for 2 weeks getting a new paint job on the hood. I went to pick it up last Tuesday and they did a crappy paint job on it. Didn't paint all the way over the edge, edges bumpy and rough. Poor service writer (I think he's new), a manager told him to tell me that I would have to take it up with the body shop, that as far as they were concerned Ford had fixed the warranty issue. I don't think so. It looked just as bad as when I originally dropped it off. Had to ask for a Service Manager and then they changed their tune. Ford kept my vehicle and had the hood painted again. Was suppose to be ready yesterday. The Service Manager went to check on it and he rejected the paint job this time. I mean really. Is it that hard to paint a hood? Can I insist on another body shop painting it? Thanks. Dana

Really? I haven't heard of anyone having a problem. Haha Read some of the posts.

If you get your hood painted to fix the paint bubble problem let me tell you that it will only last maybe a year or so and it will start to bubble again. I know because they fixed mine that way on my 2011. Great paint job from Ford dealership body shop but it just did last! I would only settle for a new hood in hopes Ford has finally figured out this on going problem.

...Ford kept my vehicle and had the hood painted again. Was suppose to be ready yesterday. The Service Manager went to check on it and he rejected the paint job this time...

Welcome to the site, Dana. I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep around these parts. Have you heard anything from the dealer today? What's the mileage on your Explorer? I'll do some investigating and see what I can do to assist.

Crystal

Hi, Crystal. Yes, I spoke to the Service Writer yesterday. The body shop brought my Explorer back to the dealership late Monday afternoon and the SW rejected it for the 3rd time. I haven't heard from him today. I'm in a rental from the dealership now for over 2 weeks and really need my Explorer back for my business. The current mileage is 23k. It shouldn't take this long to paint a hood correctly. After reading the other posts, it sounds like a new hood should be ordered. What kind of assistance can you provide to expedite this issue? Thanks. Dana

Hi, Crystal. Yes, I spoke to the Service Writer yesterday. The body shop brought my Explorer back to the dealership late Monday afternoon and the SW rejected it for the 3rd time...

Thanks for the fast reply, Dana. I can help by escalating this to your regional customer service manager. To make that happen, send me a private message with your details and I'll get your concerns about the hood into their hands. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Update to Hood issues

Well after a month and a half of leaving messages and waiting for responses from Ford and the local dealership, the local dealership advised me that they have worked it out with Ford. They will replace the hood. Initially they were only going to paint it but now realizing the issue is not the paint, they are offering to replace the hood. The catch.... I have to pay $400 out of pocket. So Ford is realizing there is clearly a defect in the hood however they want me to pay out of my pocket for a defect they are admitting to. When I brought it to the dealership initially for the issue it was over the 36k warranty by 1700 miles!!!The Hood is a $700 part and to paint the hood lets say it is $400 = $1100 lets add in labor for $200 and we are at $1300. So Ford is requiring me to pay 30% of the cost on something that they have admitted was caused by a defective hood that came on the vehicle.... I really thought they would do what was right!! Not only did they not do what was right the experience just got worse because I feel like they were trying to pull the wool over my eyes. They are at fault but want me to pay for their error! They should be fixing any of the defective hoods no questions asked without the owner having to pay anything out of pocket!!

Well after a month and a half of leaving messages and waiting for responses from Ford and the local dealership, the local dealership advised me that they have worked it out with Ford. They will replace the hood. Initially they were only going to paint it but now realizing the issue is not the paint, they are offering to replace the hood. The catch.... I have to pay $400 out of pocket. So Ford is realizing there is clearly a defect in the hood however they want me to pay out of my pocket for a defect they are admitting to. When I brought it to the dealership initially for the issue it was over the 36k warranty by 1700 miles!!!The Hood is a $700 part and to paint the hood lets say it is $400 = $1100 lets add in labor for $200 and we are at $1300. So Ford is requiring me to pay 30% of the cost on something that they have admitted was caused by a defective hood that came on the vehicle.... I really thought they would do what was right!! Not only did they not do what was right the experience just got worse because I feel like they were trying to pull the wool over my eyes. They are at fault but want me to pay for their error! They should be fixing any of the defective hoods no questions asked without the owner having to pay anything out of pocket!!

I'm going through this exact experience right now with my dealer. They are acknowledging all kinds of issues (like paint/rust, wheel bearings failing, brakes sticking, etc.) as defects and then trying to charge me. I have the CPO warranty, extended warranty, and the extended service plan (Ford threw that in to try to appease me, I'm still ticked). I've owned my CERTIFIED Explorer for 28 days now, it has been in the shop 14 days total and it will be at least until next Thursday. I'm awaiting word from the dealer on a total refund for the entire transaction, as my vehicle should have never even been certified in the first place, failing over 30 of the 172 line items on the CPO checklist. I bought it on a rainy day and didn't notice the paint bubbling, I have about 6 different 2-3 inch paint bubbles around the edges of the hood, mainly near the dash.

Welcome to the Forum MCnoHammer.:wavey:
Sorry to hear about al the issues you are having with your CPO Explorer. With all the items you've listed, it makes one wonder what exactly was checked for the certification. If you want further assistance, you can contact Tricia (Ford Service) and she can get in touch with your Regional Customer Service Manager. You can send her a PM (Private Message) using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Tricia will out of the office until Tuesday, May 26.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum MCnoHammer.:wavey:
Sorry to hear about al the issues you are having with your CPO Explorer. With all the items you've listed, it makes one wonder what exactly was checked for the certification. If you want further assistance, you can contact Tricia (Ford Service) and she can get in touch with your Regional Customer Service Manager. You can send her a PM (Private Message) using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Tricia will out of the office until Tuesday, May 26.

Peter

Thanks a lot for looking out for me, I have already been in conversation with Crystal, and have spoken with Paul from Ford multiple times on the phone. At this point I am seeking a replacement vehicle/refund. I'm not sure what they looked at while they checked all the boxes on the paperwork, but they surely were not looking at my Explorer!
It's very sad, I wanted to love Ford again, but after this experience I don't think I'll ever be able to again. Had a 93 Explorer, 97 Explorer, 00 Expedition, 03 Ranger, and this is my first Ford since 2005. Sadly, it looks like it will be my last for quite a while.

I am a new 2015 Explorer owner and have read 6 pages of this thread so far and I am really concerned. It is my fault for not seeing this info prior to my purchase. Should I be regretful? Does anyone believe that this issue has been somewhat resolved at the factory on later models or are we all doomed. I am wondering how widespread this problem is since the Explorer is such a popular vehicle for Ford with millions on the road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I took my Ex in today to the body shop that my dealer uses for 4 days in the shop for a new hood due to the paint bubble issue.

Big $$$ out of my pocket even though Ford is helping some. I do consider this unacceptable for a 4 year old vehicle with only 32k on it. Also have to pay more than a previous poster on this thread said he had to pay. I emailed my CSR and his manager at Ford corporate about that over a week ago and they have been ignoring me even though I followed up with several more ignored emails.

From another thread, my take on the aluminum hood problem:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3424946&postcount=37

Back