Shift to Park Warning | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift to Park Warning

I have 26,000 miles on my 2011 explorer and the problem started about a year ago. Had the vehicle in the service shop many times, but problem still is there. Going to make appt for next week to try and get this resolved now that I read info from this site.

If you first reported it while under warranty and it was never fixed correctly, make sure they do not charge you for the repair.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you first reported it while under warranty and it was never fixed correctly, make sure they do not charge you for the repair.

I had it in under the warranty, but I also have the extended warranty until 2018. I have an appointment for April 30th and I've sent my saleman a email requesting his help. Although he hasn't gotten back to me yet. He should though, my family had purchased 4 explores and 2 Edges though my referral to Dana Ford on Staten Island. If you any pull with them, that would be appreciated.

I had it in under the warranty, but I also have the extended warranty until 2018. I have an appointment for April 30th and I've sent my saleman a email requesting his help. Although he hasn't gotten back to me yet. He should though, my family had purchased 4 explores and 2 Edges though my referral to Dana Ford on Staten Island. If you any pull with them, that would be appreciated.

Sorry! I thought you were someone from Ford who monitors this web site.

Good idea, Blueflame16; come back and tell us how things go at your dealer. I'll continue to monitor this thread in case you need my help.

Crystal
Thank you. Will let you know how I make out. I left various email and phone messages with my dealer and no one has gotten back to me. I wanted to give them a heads up in case they needed to order any parts.

Thank you. Will let you know how I make out. I left various email and phone messages with my dealer and no one has gotten back to me. I wanted to give them a heads up in case they needed to order any parts.

Sounds good, Blueflame16. If you'd like me to get this escalated to your regional customer service manager, just PM me your details and I'll push this up the chain. In your message, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Sounds good, Blueflame16. If you'd like me to get this escalated to your regional customer service manager, just PM me your details and I'll push this up the chain. In your message, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal
I have an appointment tomorrow 4/30 with Dana ford here on Staten Island. I made video and have pictures of the shift to park problem I'm having. Wish me luck.

I have an appointment tomorrow 4/30 with Dana ford here on Staten Island. I made video and have pictures of the shift to park problem I'm having. Wish me luck.

I'm sure you'll be in great hands, Blueflame16. I see that I have another PM from you in my inbox; I'll try to get to it shortly. :thumbsup:

Crystal

So I want to share my frustrating experience with my Ford dealer local to me. Coggin Deland Ford in Deland Florida.

My wife has had an issue with the shift to park, not a big deal. We had a few things to take care of all at once. We had a bad battery with corroded terminals, a window shudder issue, and the shift to park. The first time I brought it down in an emergency because she was barely starting due to the battery. I brought it down and they were actually quite good, got the battery taken care of that day. They didnt have the terminals in stock so they ordered them and said they would be in stock the next day. While I was there getting the battery replaced, I took the time to explain in detail the other issues with the shifter and the window, so my wife would not have to try to explain the next day. The service manager assured me that they would have the battery terminals in stock, and they had the other things in stock to take care of it all the next day (a Friday).

So my wife brings the vehicle back the next morning. The service person that checked her in, acted as if he had never seen or heard of the vehicle we were bringing for service. They had no notes or anything about the things I had discussed and scheduled to get fixed. So my wife calls me, I get it sorted out, explained to them once again all that needed done and we left the car there. They said it would be about 5 hours and everything would be done. Well we dropped it off about 8:30 am. 2pm rolls around and I havent had a call, and I keep getting put straight to voicemail. Finally I get through to them and I find out they havent even touched the vehicle, its just sat the whole time because they didnt have the shifter or the things for the window, or even the battery terminals. Of course I'm upset but I took it easy on them as they were clearly having a rough day. My wife picked up the car, having wasted a day without a vehicle, trying to organize rides back and forth etc.. We spoke to them and we discussed bring it back about 2 weeks later when they had everything and we had time again.

So fast forward to yesterday. My wife brings in the vehicle again and drops it off. They were nice enough to get a rental this time for the inconvenience so that was a nice thing to do. About 8 hours later, 5 pm, they call me and tell me its done. She goes and picks it up. The window is fixed, the terminals are on, and the shifter is installed. She noticed that the shifter was way fatter than the original and has a new button near your thumb with a +/- on it. She thought it may be an upgraded part. These buttons are clearly for shifting with your thumb instead of the paddle shifters. She gives them a try and they dont work. Now keep in mind, this new shifter is quite a bit fatter, doesnt feel as nice because of this either. So these buttons dont do squat. She showed the service manager and he said he would take care of it and order the correct part. She was a bit peeved but took it home.

When she got home, out of curiosity I took it for a spin thinking maybe the buttons only worked in manual, or something wasnt right. So of course, these buttons dont work, and even with my man sized hands, this shifter is BIG. So in my head I'm pretty pissed. I've been down there 2 times already, and things still arent right, but I'm a pretty cool headed guy and decide to give him a call and explain that I'm not happy with this.

I call today and I get Paul, one of the service guys. He instantly tells me to "work with him here" when I told him that this was not acceptable. I told him I'm not going to keep my car this way when the button doesnt work and its uncomfortable. It would be one thing if it worked for shifting like the paddles, but to have a non functioning button will just make it harder for me when we go to sell it.

I told him that now I have to bring this down there for a 3rd time to get this fixed, he's wasted my time, and my wifes time and I want it done right this time. He tells me that "Ford says this is the new part number", basically saying thats just how it is. I told him that clearly its not the right one and that he needs to figure it out. He was quite snippy at this point. I'm sure my tone showed that I was peeved, but I am generally very calm on the phone, I didnt raise my voice or berate him as I really wanted to. Regardless he needs to remain professional. I told him he needs to give us some oil change vouchers or something for wasting my time again, and he says "Oh yeah thats not happening".

I cannot believe the level of incompetence from this dealership at this time. Is it too much to ask to get things done right and do them right the first time, not three times later. I'm not sure what to do at this point. He said he is going to "look for the right one". I told him to either figure out how to make the button work so its not just some non-functioning part on my new vehicle, or get the right shifter. He hurried me off the phone after I told him I expect a phone call tomorrow morning with a solution for this.

Crystal if you are reading this, maybe you can assist. I'm literally in the phase of shopping 2014-2015 F150's which I plan to buy in the next 1-2 months, and this is not making my view of Ford very favorable.

Looks like you had the same issue as cputman in post 109. They also installed the wrong shifter in that Sport. The buttons are for the Explorers with 'Select Shift'. Since the Sport has paddle shifters, it uses a different shifter. The problem with Ford is that sometimes the parts have the same number but are actually different. Somebody at the dealership obviously didn't do their due diligence.

Peter

Looks like you had the same issue as cputman in post 109. They also installed the wrong shifter in that Sport. The buttons are for the Explorers with 'Select Shift'. Since the Sport has paddle shifters, it uses a different shifter. The problem with Ford is that sometimes the parts have the same number but are actually different. Somebody at the dealership obviously didn't do their due diligence.

Peter

Thank you for that information. I do truly appreciate it as I could not determine which vehicle it belonged to. I assumed maybe the 14, or 15 had a revision. I didnt take the time to re-read the whole thread, sorry about that.

I'm going to call him tomorrow and let him know about that. I might just see what comes up in the AllData system as well. Thanks again, Ill let you know how it goes.

Peter

Peter there is NEVER 2 different parts that have the same part number. There is always a differentiator between 2 similar parts.

Thank you for that information. I do truly appreciate it as I could not determine which vehicle it belonged to. I assumed maybe the 14, or 15 had a revision. I didnt take the time to re-read the whole thread, sorry about that.

I'm going to call him tomorrow and let him know about that. I might just see what comes up in the AllData system as well. Thanks again, Ill let you know how it goes.

Boostking, sorry to hear about your dealer experiences.. Unfortunately these are all too common and it is not just Ford. As Peter stated, they ordered the wrong knob.. this isn't a "new" knob for your Sport.. The shift knobs usually vary by one letter so they just ordered the wrong one.

Peter there is NEVER 2 different parts that have the same part number. There is always a differentiator between 2 similar parts.

Just for reference, do you have the correct part number for the 2013 Explorer Sport?

Just for reference, do you have the correct part number for the 2013 Explorer Sport?

I'm actually searching for it now for you. Give me a little bit and I'll post back for you if I can track it down.

I'm actually searching for it now for you. Give me a little bit and I'll post back for you if I can track it down.

Thanks take your time. I appreciate the help. :thumbsup::)

Thanks take your time. I appreciate the help. :thumbsup::)

Based on what I could find.. this is the shift knob itself.

BT4Z7213FA - Shift knob
W/TILT/TELESCOPE COLUMN, 2013, w/3.5 liter, w/leather, w/o auto shift

You have the 3.5 with leather shifter but w/o the auto shift (no buttons on shifter).

Now keep in mind the part number in bold is ONLY the shifter, not the whole assembly. I point this out because there was one member on page 8 or 9 of this thread that bought the knob herself and installed it herself and still continued to have the same issue. There was never a post about what the resolution was.

Everyone has agreed that it is the button inside the shifter and then after that member posted her issue we then started to wonder if it actually isn't the button but something electrical within the whole assembly.

Disclaimer: I'm only as good as the internet allows lol. Part numbers can change so proper research by the vehicle owner is required. The dealership should be able to enter your VIN and the proper part number pops up.

Let me start by apologizing for being lazy by not reading the previous 10 pages of this post. Now to make my apology worth while. Judging by blwnsmoke's post yesterday morning the whole shifter assembly needs to be replaced to fix this problem. Has anyone attempted this install themselves? I called my dealership about the part and said it is about $162. I would rather not pay an extra couple hundred bucks in labor if this is a simple thing that I can do myself. I don't have the service manual, but I have taken part of the center console apart before in an effort to get to the led that lights up the gigantic five gallon bucket size area under the center arm rest.

Let me start by apologizing for being lazy by not reading the previous 10 pages of this post. Now to make my apology worth while. Judging by blwnsmoke's post yesterday morning the whole shifter assembly needs to be replaced to fix this problem. Has anyone attempted this install themselves? I called my dealership about the part and said it is about $162. I would rather not pay an extra couple hundred bucks in labor if this is a simple thing that I can do myself. I don't have the service manual, but I have taken part of the center console apart before in an effort to get to the led that lights up the gigantic five gallon bucket size area under the center arm rest.

Pm lexia, page 8, post 150. She did it herself and was the one that did just the shifter knob in which we then found that didnt solve it.

Also get the correct part number and google "tousley ford discount parts". It will link you to autonation and type in the part number. They sell parts at 10% above cost so it should save you $40+.

The side panels of your center console pop off and you gain access to everything there. Is not a difficult job.

...Crystal if you are reading this, maybe you can assist. I'm literally in the phase of shopping 2014-2015 F150's which I plan to buy in the next 1-2 months, and this is not making my view of Ford very favorable.

Yep, I definitely want to do what I can to help, Boostking. What's the current mileage on the Explorer? I'll get to work on some options for you. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Yep, I definitely want to do what I can to help, Boostking. What's the current mileage on the Explorer? I'll get to work on some options for you. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Hey Crystal. She is currently at 27,000 miles. On Friday, the service guy called and said they had found the "correct part number" and they ordered it. I am waiting for it to come in to bring it in one last time in hopes it is fixed correctly. I will let you know how that goes. I'll also probably stop going to this particular dealership after they resolve this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Crystal. She is currently at 27,000 miles. On Friday, the service guy called and said they had found the "correct part number" and they ordered it. I am waiting for it to come in to bring it in one last time in hopes it is fixed correctly. I will let you know how that goes. I'll also probably stop going to this particular dealership after they resolve this.

Thanks for offering to keep me in the loop, Boostking. If you need me to get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager, just let me know. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Back