Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 56 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stuff I still want to do with the Explorer:

Replace cracked windshield.
Convert my portable Puma 12 volt compressor to on-board air.
Seats need work.
Relay mod for high/low beam switch.
Clearance rear tire rub.
Air Bumps (later).
37" tires (much later).
Maybe plate the inside edge of the front bumper to give it a cleaner look.
Maybe improve cage.

There is really nothing much else I can think of that I still want to do. I am running out of modifications.....cool.

Other vehicles:

Silverado needs new rear shocks (ordered them from Rock Auto). Ordered Again
RV fridge still not getting cold enough (take back to service center).
Would like to freshen the RV graphics, but am still trying to talk Mike into air brushing them. Most of you probably did not know that the owner of the Green Machine is a artist (draws, paints, air brushes murals, etc.).
Horse trailer camera needs replacing.
Horse trailer divider needs to be repaired/modified to stay open with the rear door shut.
Saturn Vue XR needs to go back to the dealership for the fourth time to fix the "random misfire" that started when a oil leak was repaired. Fixed

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sounds like you got a lot on your plate!

What? Done with the Explorer? What kinda crazy talk is that?

Maybe the Saturn you should just leave at the Dealer and never come back :D

What? Done with the Explorer? What kinda crazy talk is that?

Maybe the Saturn you should just leave at the Dealer and never come back :D

I thought about it but my brother works there and knows where I live. Its actually a good car. Its an Equinox with a nicer interior.

I wonder if the Lincoln Navigator seats are to wide?

r-l-4wd-4-door-front-seats_100253830_l_zpslfw8qhw0.jpg

They are nice bloody seats, yes

The f150 seats we're pretty wide. There pretty close to same. I would say only if you got rid of the center console.

But since no one is giving seats away...it really doesn't matter :D

Never hurts to try... I was just planning on redoing the seats I have. They are comfortable, and fit.

Haven't done much to the Explorer lately. The front left side well nuts pulled out of the roof rack while in the garage, of all places. I think I over-tightened the bolts and pulled them out of the holes. I removed the rack, and sealed the well nuts in with some 3M marine grade "through hull" sealant. I have used it before on some water tanks and it makes a permanent, flexible seal. Reinstalled roof rack but this time just snugging up the bolts so the well nuts can grab without putting too much pressure on them.

Also made an adaptor for my Hi-Lift Jack so I can use it on the tube part of my sliders to help keep it from slipping off. Its modeled on the tubing adaptors you can buy for $60, but it was free. I tested it in conjunction with limiting the front axle with a tree strap, and my short jack lifted the front tire. Something I was concerned with was not being able to safely change a tire while out by myself. I have Hi-Lift slots in the front bumper, and when I built the rear bumper I cut the back half of the bumper to accept the jack on the corners, but the sliders are a little lower. The OEM jack does not go up enough to be even close to working, and has been under my work bench for several years now. I don't want to carry a bunch of wood blocks to make up the space difference, and a Hi-Lift. I really don't trust Hi-Lifts, but they are the best option for an off-road jack. Making it much more stable with the tubing adaptor gives me more confidence. By limiting the suspension the jack does not have to be so far off the ground and starts lifting the tire almost immediately. If I did not limit the suspension, even the taller Hi-Lifts would not lift the front tire.

Have you seen the products that this company makes?

http://safejacks.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=15&Itemid=23

I want the bottle jack kit myself, as like you, I do not trust the Hi-Lifts much either.

They do make a couple Hi-Lift products to help, the Base they have looks interesting enough.

I like this one, and it would fit in the box I stow all my recovery gear into, but I think I can make it for less than $20.00. http://safejacks.com/collections/hi...afe-jack-stabilizer-lift-jack-stabilizer-48in
Actually, this gives me an idea........

Their bottle jacks are way too expensive, and then there is that much more weight and space taken up.

I trust the highlift. Like any tool it is only safe if you use it properly. The highlift has gotten me out of more jams than changing a flat. It's has pulled my truck back on a snowy road, seated tires, etc. It's a great tool, you just can't be stupid with it. Or you will die! Haha!

My highlift has a massive layer of dust from sitting unused for easily a decade plus. Every offroad vehicle I use hits the dirt typically with both a floor jack and a scissor jack. My scissor jacks lift 24" so no matter what vehicle I'm out in I can usually get it under a suspension component to lift for changing flats. Even if I'm carrying a floor jack, I still have the scissor as back up. I've been in a race where we used the floor jack on the truck to prep the truck with no issues and then changed all 4 tires the day before the race also with no issues. Come race day, we get a flat and the darn thing has leaked or something and won't pump up past half way. Scissor jack may not be the fastest but it's reliable. I now actually couple it with an electric impact and it's actually pretty quick too even.

High lifts scare me, they have a place but well, in the last decade I've never missed not carrying it. Now that I say it, I should probably toss it in for this weekend's adventure just cause though! LOL

Hmm... Be cool to weld a hook to the frame & axle, then use a chain to limit the droop when jacking up the vehicle to change a tire. :scratch:

No need, just wrap a tree strap around the axle and up over the frame. Secure it with a "D" ring. Done.

No need, just wrap a tree strap around the axle and up over the frame. Secure it with a "D" ring. Done.

Brilliant! :D

You guys are lucky not to have to deal with mud, and axles covered so thick you can't even see it. The tree saver method in those conditions, would be miserable.

The High lift off road accessory kit comes with a chain block attachment.

When you are lifting from the bumper you run the chain straight under to the axle. As you lift the axle comes up with the rest.

Then all you are adding to your recovery kit is 4' of chain.

Or go DIY with a longer chain than this example.

The%20two%20grab%20chains%20fitted_zpsezevzxfn.jpg

I got the kit when I got the Hi-Lift. Both were gifts. Has a tree strap, gloves, D-ring shackle, chain, hook and chain mount. Now it has a tube adaptor.

I prefer to strap the axle to the frame, and let the jack work independently.

I've ditched my hi lift in favor of an H1 scissor jack that's modified to run off a cordless impact. I also made a threaded extension with a notched end to fit the axle tube and so far it's been working out great.

Back