Sitcoms' 1999 Explorer Sport 4x4 SOHC v6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sitcoms' 1999 Explorer Sport 4x4 SOHC v6

First Explorer; First car.

First car for a young 18 year old, hoping to last through the majority of at least his college career. She's going to go through hell, as I like to push her and Vermont winters are unforgiving on vehicles, but hopefully with some routine maintenance she can make it through it.

She's a Black '99 Explorer Sport 4x4 with the SOHC v6. Most things are stock on her currently, basically only bulbs and a new rear bumper placed on her. Hoping to touch up some of the paint/sun faded spots on the body within a few days. Below is a picture:

KjjobKq.jpg

7HOR8kh.jpg

Modifications will be few and far in between, due to time and funding constraints.

A new bumper was placed on, as the old one was rusting and had holes through it. Below is the before and after.

vhxwztE.jpg

TRl5wfm.jpg

I also will be repainting the pillars just behind the passenger's door and roof rack as they've become faded by the sun. Also debating whether I want to plasti-dip the front bumper. Some rust needs to be dealt with, just along the molding of the doors.

Another thing on the "maybe to-do list" would be about a 1" lift, nothing major but just something to give a little more stance and such.

She also is still unnamed.. Can't stick with one I like haha!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice looking Explorer. Looking to keep her nice and simple, nothing wrong with that!

If you do some searching on the forum, you'll find tons of ways to lift the truck a bit for barely any money at all. The possibilities are pretty endless with these things so go have fun. I really like the two tone scheme you've got going with the truck right now, but if you want to plastidip, lots of people here have had success with it and it looks pretty awesome. I've never had much luck with it, but I'm in the minority there. Keep up the good work and nice truck!

Nice looking Explorer. Looking to keep her nice and simple, nothing wrong with that!

If you do some searching on the forum, you'll find tons of ways to lift the truck a bit for barely any money at all. The possibilities are pretty endless with these things so go have fun. I really like the two tone scheme you've got going with the truck right now, but if you want to plastidip, lots of people here have had success with it and it looks pretty awesome. I've never had much luck with it, but I'm in the minority there. Keep up the good work and nice truck!

Yeah, I just like the way these 2 door sports look when they have a slight lift to them.

Also the reason I'm thinking of plastidipping is because if I don't like the black bumper instead of the gray I can just peel it off.

Still doing some behind the scene's work on this. Might plastidip or bed liner over the fenders/bumper the same or a close color gray, as there is some damage on the back drivers side one, and to try and slow down some of the rust until a long term fix can be done.

Replacing the small plastic ring inside the driver's side door so I can lock it again, replacing the driver's side front airbag sensor as it's gone wonky, replacing my current aftemarket radio with another one that has an AUX port, and trying to find why the #### my door ajar light is back on.

Little update, no pictures however sadly. Found out that my power steering pump was leaking a bit onto my pulley, sending power steering fluid EVERYWHERE! Went to pick and pull and managed to find one that was almost new old stock (sticker wasnt even worn off yet!) and replaced that along with the low pressure hose that connects to the well.

Still working on the door lock issue, airbag sensor and door ajar light. Can't figure out the door ajar again, but the door lock needs a part that I can't seem to find so I'll be ordering it from ford and same with the sensor possibly.

Also plan on coloring the gray trim along the bottom of the doors and wheel wells black possibly, and either clearing up or replacing my headlights.

another update with no pictures sadly (It's dark out, what do you expect!!).
About to pass 150k miles on my explorer, within the next two weeks at most.

Looking for time to finish plasti-dipping my gray trim around the car, as well as locate a used brush guard and possible shackles/etc. Still have to find the part for my door lock, and now my oem button unlock won't work.

What was your method for plastidipping the wheels? Last time I did it it was before I installed them on the car so it was pretty easy. Did you do it with them attached or take em off? Looks good!

What was your method for plastidipping the wheels? Last time I did it it was before I installed them on the car so it was pretty easy. Did you do it with them attached or take em off? Looks good!

Did it with them on there. Basically Just taped off the center caps (Didnt even use paper, just did tape all the way around them), used painters tape and some paper to cover of the sides of my wheels, and honestly stuffed paper towel in the "teardrops" on the rims to block any brake parts/etc behind there. Then used to spray can version of plastidip and did about 5 layers.

Sounds good, I wouldn't really want to spend more effort doing it anyway. Thanks.

Sitcoms, nice looking Sport. 99's rule. Here is ours.
100_0869_zpsh3sxmz7w.jpg

Less than 50 miles from the big 150k. Nothin done to it since last post. Still on the search for a brush guard, and hitting the junk yard on saturday to try and find a door lock, airbag sensor, and a few other odds and ends.

Passed the big 150k miles yesterday, and also replaced some instrument cluster lights with blue LED ones (Replaced Turn signal, high beam, 4x4 High/Low, O/D ones). Taking apart all the crap to get to the instrument cluster KILLED my hands though.

Taking apart all the crap to get to the instrument cluster KILLED my hands though.

It is a PITA to get the dash apart to get to the gauge cluster, when I had the cluster out of my 2000 Ranger I replaced all the gauge bulbs.

It is a PITA to get the dash apart to get to the gauge cluster, when I had the cluster out of my 2000 Ranger I replaced all the gauge bulbs.

Ugh you're telling me.. I've taken it apart at least 4 times now.. tempted to just buy the rest of the LEDs that I need now and finish it off but dont have the time to do it..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will hopefully be putting on a brush guard that I picked up back in August this week. It's an old Manik brush guard that had a little bit of rust, but I payed only $40 for it and just sanded/repainted with rustoleum paint.

Back