Popping, Clicking noise from front. Newer TSB | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Popping, Clicking noise from front. Newer TSB

Mine is in the shop (dealer) (yesterday) for the exact same reason w/20700 clicks on the ol'odo.

Let's see what they have to say.

BM

As soon as I get a diag will post.

BM

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are several threads on front end noises and diagnosis.

Peter

Great! I'll look forward to seeing updates from both of you. :D

Crystal

Crystal,

Just got my EXP from the service department and they performed the following:

1) Recall 14S06 - Electric Power Steering.
2) Front suspension noise: CHECKED VEHICLE CONDITION USING CHASSIS EAR TOOL FINDING NOISE COMING FROM RIGHT STABILIZER LINK DUE TO EXCSIVE WEAR PROCEEDED TO REPLACE 5486a KIT - STABILIZER BAR LINK - FRONT AND BB5Z-5K484-A (LINK)
3) CHECK VEHICLE CONDITION AND PROCEEDED TO INSTALL A THRUST WASHER ONTO BOTH FRONT HALFSHAFTS ACCORDING TO TSB 13-5-14 (130514B); BB5Z-7G273-B (WASHER THRUST); W712435-S439 (NUT); W714890-S440 (NUT AND WASHER ASY - HEX)
4) FRONT WHEEL ALIG.
5) INSPECTION/TEST DRIVE SUP.

So far, NO NOISE.

All the best,
Bobby :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just had this TSB done to my '14 Sport. Started hearing the clicking/popping at around 7500 miles. Build date on my Sport is April 2014.

14 Limited with 12k miles going in for same reason.

When's your appointment, anonymous? Let me know if you need any help from my neck of the woods. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Crystal,

Well, it's been two weeks and we're still waiting on parts! It seems like Ford is trailing GM in it's ability to fix vehicles promptly. This is the 2nd time that we've had to wait on parts to repair the vehicle out of approximately 3 visits. GM always seemed to be able to get the part that day or the next day at the latest.

Is this symptomatic of Ford or our dealership?

Thanks,
Scott

Would this be covered under the power train warranty. I am guessing no but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Crystal,

Well, it's been two weeks and we're still waiting on parts!...

Hi Scott,

I'd like to look into this to see how I can help. To get started, send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll research this further.

Would this be covered under the power train warranty. I am guessing no but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Your dealership will be in the best position to make a warranty determination, foxtemple. Let me know if you decide to head in to have this diagnosed.

Crystal

My Wife's 2012 started making this noise a few months back....thought it to be the cv assembly....this might be a more obvious culprit since it seems to be heard turning both directions, forward and reverse...wonder what the warranty coverage was on a 2012 for this stuff?

I doubt the warranty coverage has changed on the 5th generation Explorer. It should all be covered in your Warranty Guide.

Peter

2014 Ford Explorer - clicking noise from driver side wheel.

I got this annoying wheel scretching noise like its metal scraping or clicking sound. I only get it when turning the wheel at parking speeds or when I'm in reverse. Took it into the dealer and was told it's the Thrust Washer so they replaced it. They said its a common issue with this explorer. Now only a few months later it's doing the same damn thing. Once again they replaced it. They said ford doesn't really have a fix for this issue.

Anyone else experiencing this sound with a 2014 Ford Explorer LTD? Like I said it sounds like metal clicking noise when I turn the wheel.

A search on 'Thrust Washer' brought up this thread and yours has been merged with it.

Peter

I'm noticing a slight metal on metal clank going from park to reverse with the windows down in my garage. It's not very pronounced nor does it sound out of the ordinary, to me. I figured it was just normal transmission operation. Does anyone have an audio link as the sound that requires the TSB to be performed??? I don't even have 1K miles on my Sport yet... But want it addressed if this is a problem! Thanks in advance!!!

For those of you that had the front end noise did it sound like it was coming from the front on the passenger side? We have 90k miles on our 2011 Explorer and when we turn the steering wheel you can hear/feel noise. Almost like a coil spring releasing.

Steering Noise

New to the forums guys!

2014 Explorer XLT 39,*** Purchased the other day... now having second thoughts!!

I had a popping issue when I was in parking lots. Dealer replaced both struts, balanced tires and aligned. Now, I still notice a popping when pulling into a parking lot or a slow like approach. When sitting still, I can steer the wheel left to right, when it gets to a certain point, it will pop on the drivers side. Steering either way, but there is no noise coming from the right side (when under the vehicle.) only the left.

I am thinking CV joint. Any input or suggestions? I guess the CV joints are covered in my Powertrain warranty?

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum jlittle2212.:wavey:
I have merged your thread with this one but I'm not sure if you have the same issue since the posts seem to concern 2011 models but your description seems almost identical. According to the Warranty Guide constant velocity joints are covered under the Powertrain Warranty.

Peter

Back