New map for navigation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New map for navigation

GSX-WE4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 Explorer Sport
I received a letter today from Ford advising that a new map was available for $149. Ours is a 2014 so we really don't think it's worth $149 for that. Has anyone already purchased that update and do you feel it's worth it? It would have been great customer service if Ford simply offered that map upgrade free to their loyal customers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Funny how nobody seems to think these map updates have any value, yet everybody wants it. I actually listed the A6 update on this forum for $80 shipped and not a single viewer commented or PMed an inquiry...

I received a letter today from Ford advising that a new map was available for $149. Ours is a 2014 so we really don't think it's worth $149 for that. Has anyone already purchased that update and do you feel it's worth it? It would have been great customer service if Ford simply offered that map upgrade free to their loyal customers.
Did they mention a card number? I believe the latest current one is A6.

Peter

So I guess these things are selling like hotcakes huh?

I was actually wondering if anyone noticed any big changes / differences that made it worthwhile. I have the A4 card and it sufficient but could definitely stand some improvement and updates for the area I travel (Southeastern US).

I received a similar letter. How about if they offered the upgrade free for people who are still within the 3yr/36k b-to-b warranty period?

I received a similar letter. How about if they offered the upgrade free for people who are still within the 3yr/36k b-to-b warranty period?
That would be nice but it'll never happen. The only time the cards were given out for free was if the MFT software required it.

Peter

You can buy a brand new Garmin with current maps for that price.

And:
Preloaded with detailed maps of the lower 49 states, plus free lifetime map updates

I got the letter too. I assume it would be A7 but no mention and can't find anything online.

Just a delayed letter for the A6 card. If you want one bad enough I am getting some and they will be $60 each.

Just a delayed letter for the A6 card. If you want one bad enough I am getting some and they will be $60 each.

LOL, That's a huge delay... what, like a year?

One of these days these NAV map companies will go out of business and we will be stuck. Google Maps on my IPhone is free and is awesome. I also have Mapquest which is free, both give turn by turn directions and update their maps all the time and that is free.

I still use my NAV in my explorer but how long can these companies last with competition that gives it away for free and actually works all the time? (Unlike my explorer NAV!)

Just sayin!

What we need is some enterprising person to figure out how to transfer the google maps images from our smartphones to the NAV screen on the Explorer (insert car here). That person will make some $$ and we will be free of being tied into what they are selling at Ford (etc).

One of these days these NAV map companies will go out of business and we will be stuck. Google Maps on my IPhone is free and is awesome. I also have Mapquest which is free, both give turn by turn directions and update their maps all the time and that is free.

I still use my NAV in my explorer but how long can these companies last with competition that gives it away for free and actually works all the time? (Unlike my explorer NAV!)

Just sayin!
I'm not positive but I believe the SD navigation cards are from MapQuest.

Peter

I have some new sealed A6 cards. $65 shipped in the USA for those that may be interested.

Define all versions of MFT? All 11-13s should be running 3.6.2 and 14 and above 3.7 or 3.7.11. It works on all of these.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back