Livernois tune experience | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Livernois tune experience

Under heavy Accel right?...how long until it leveld out for ya?

Wife a car nut..i need to find one of those!

BTW the end of the instructions says after tune loads turn ignition off..open then close drivers door and press y..so only 1 hit of the button it looks like
It took about 4 days, so around 200 miles for the trans to level out.

Regarding my wife, I'm really fortunate. That's her in the white Camaro chasing me in my avatar pic.

Just be sure to follow the instructions that the tuner displays. My update cycled more than once. I don't remember how many times or exactly the sequence.

+1 to everything BlackJac says in his post. The car has to be completely quiet. No A/C, no automatic lights, no radio, nothing connected to accessory power or USB, etc. before you start the tune update. I even disabled the BT and Wifi on my phone prior to starting the tune because I used the phone to take the pics. Also, don't let anyone open any doors or disturb the car in any way during the tune. Don't touch the brake, gas pedals turn signal stalk or any other control during the tune upload.

Just be sure to follow the LMS printed instructions and the tuner displayed instructions. Call LMS if you have any questions or concerns, they've always been very responsive when I've called.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got my tunes tonight. Will hopeull have it installed tomorrow night when i get a PC!

It took about 4 days, so around 200 miles for the trans to level out.

Regarding my wife, I'm really fortunate. That's her in the white Camaro chasing me in my avatar pic.

Just be sure to follow the instructions that the tuner displays. My update cycled more than once. I don't remember how many times or exactly the sequence.

+1 to everything BlackJac says in his post. The car has to be completely quiet. No A/C, no automatic lights, no radio, nothing connected to accessory power or USB, etc. before you start the tune update. I even disabled the BT and Wifi on my phone prior to starting the tune because I used the phone to take the pics. Also, don't let anyone open any doors or disturb the car in any way during the tune. Don't touch the brake, gas pedals turn signal stalk or any other control during the tune upload.

Just be sure to follow the LMS printed instructions and the tuner displayed instructions. Call LMS if you have any questions or concerns, they've always been very responsive when I've called.

Now if say i loaded my tune...had to go to dealer for service...went back to stock.....then BACK to tune after service... i assume it would have to relearn it again ect

Now if say i loaded my tune...had to go to dealer for service...went back to stock.....then BACK to tune after service... i assume it would have to relearn it again ect
that's correct. Each reload of the tune is a 'reboot'.

that's correct. Each reload of the tune is a 'reboot'.

With the stock tune going back..would the trans have to relearn that as well..or since it's stock setup..no? Just curious

BTW what does the 93 tune roughly add to HP and torque?

Make sure all accessories (auto lights, stereo, hvac, etc) are off before tuning. Also, unplug all devices from the USB and 12v outlets.

I had an iPod connected that caused the programmer to time out, leading to about 6 tries just to get it back to stock. Anthony at Livernois was a huge help in troubleshooting this issue with me.

Also to go along with a tune I'd suggest gapped plugs to .030", thermostat swap, and 3 bar upgrade.

This will sound stupid...but what's the 3 bar?

With the stock tune going back..would the trans have to relearn that as well..or since it's stock setup..no? Just curious

BTW what does the 93 tune roughly add to HP and torque?
Reloading the stock tune does require the transmission to relearn if I remember correctly (just like when you start driving the car when it is new).

I don'r recall regarding the hp and torque figures. I think I remember seeing them posted here somewhere but I didn't save the link to the post. Don't know how accurate they are however.

pup5581 said:
This will sound stupid...but what's the 3 bar?.
The 3 bar MAP (absolute manifold pressure) sensor can measure the higher manifold pressures associated with higher turbo boost. The Sport's stock MAP can only report to ~14.5 to the PCU (powertrain control module). Boost pressures greater than 14.5 psi in the manifold still report 14.5. This causes problems for the tunes (and ultimately you) because once the manifold pressure exceeds the max value, the tune can no longer know what the real manifold is. From what I understand from LMS, this is no problem for the standard 93 perf tune, because they limit max boost to approximately 14.5 (a relatively mild boost increase of approximately 2 psi over stock). If you want to go further, or if you want to razor tune the 93 perf tune, you need the 3 bar MAP sensor so it can accurately report manifold presssure up to ~29 psi.

The 3 bar MAP (absolute manifold pressure) sensor can measure the higher manifold pressures associated with higher turbo boost. The Sport's stock MAP can only report to ~14.5 to the PCU (powertrain control module). Boost pressures greater than 14.5 psi in the manifold still report 14.5. This causes problems for the tunes (and ultimately you) because once the manifold pressure exceeds the max value, the tune can no longer know what the real manifold is. From what I understand from LMS, this is no problem for the standard 93 perf tune, because they limit max boost to approximately 14.5 (a relatively mild boost increase of approximately 2 psi over stock). If you want to go further, or if you want to razor tune the 93 perf tune, you need the 3 bar MAP sensor so it can accurately report manifold presssure up to ~29 psi.
Also, if you go beyond the 93 perf tune, you're getting into fuel issues / methanol injection territory. The weakest link theory proven!

Also, if you go beyond the 93 perf tune, you're getting into fuel issues / methanol injection territory. The weakest link theory proven!

Higher tunes then 93? I would figure you would get into fuel issues with that unless you change a lot!

I had a buddy who had a tune on his older mustang GT a while ago..93 and he put in a full tank of 91 IIRC and actually got some pinging/knocking..light but it started

Loaded all my tunes...now i can give my cousin back his laptop haha

Higher tunes then 93? I would figure you would get into fuel issues with that unless you change a lot!

I had a buddy who had a tune on his older mustang GT a while ago..93 and he put in a full tank of 91 IIRC and actually got some pinging/knocking..light but it started

Loaded all my tunes...now i can give my cousin back his laptop haha
It's really not only about higher octane, it's about driving the boost up beyond 2-3 psi, etc. Because even the LMS 93 perf tune is pretty much on the edge for a stock Sport, you really cannot run a lower octane gas with the tune. Not surprising that your buddy got some pinging and knocking.

I bet your cousin will be glad to get his laptop back!

It's really not only about higher octane, it's about driving the boost up beyond 2-3 psi, etc. Because even the LMS 93 perf tune is pretty much on the edge for a stock Sport, you really cannot run a lower octane gas with the tune. Not surprising that your buddy got some pinging and knocking.

I bet your cousin will be glad to get his laptop back!

haha...he really doesn't use it :thumbsup:

Shifts are much better...defiantly harsher and like you said should quiet down

I have noticed it has made the air rush and even the blowoff louder since i put the tune in

Shifts are much better...defiantly harsher and like you said should quiet down

I have noticed it has made the air rush and even the blowoff louder since i put the tune in
Enjoy:thumbsup::):thumbsup::)

ANy chance you buy it after lease? Did they give you a buy out price when you signed it? (they should have)

Probably not as I'll probably jump into the '17/18 MY Sport, Platinum, or 2.3L EB once it gets SYNC 3. The buyout was $27k if I remember correctly.

Which brings up a point I want to stress. When anyone decides to do any mod, it's at your own risk, no matter what you've read in my posts or any others. My results are no guarentee of what your results will be. I've broken, blown-up, seized and holed more engines, pistons, cases, blocks, gear boxes and drive trains than I care to recall across the last 4+ decades. If you have a failure related to a mod, it's on you for the repair cost. Your warranty is basically out the window if a failure is even remotely related to the mod. Don't put an asset at risk unless you can afford to pay for the repairs out of pocket. Now, back to the fun stuff !

Fords warranty is 3yrs or 36K miles.. If you can even call that a warranty. Everyone should fully understand that a tune could damage your vehicle, but then again if it was common livernois wouldn't be in business very long.

Ka-pow baby, that's what I'm talk'n about :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Couldn't wait. Loaded the v3 93 perf tune and went for a drive. Here's the before and after. Both just flooring it from dead stop in 'D', 'normal' mode, no powerbraking, no anything special. In my dead stock Explo Sport with ~5,200 miles, the LMS 93 perf tune shaved exactly .5 sec off of my 0-60 times. "before tune" on the left. "after tune" on the right (ignore all the other stats, I was only after the 0-60 time) :

160372435.gif

What you don't see in the numbers above is the change in driveability. Much less torque steer and much less of what I refer to as 'interference vectoring' by the fwd portion of the awd powertrain. It seems the rear wheels are getting more power sooner in normal mode and the shifts are now as close as they can get to our S5's DCS. Upshifts are BANG, bang, bang under WOT, but nice and smooth (but still crisp and firm) under normal driving. Still no rev match on downshifts, but hey, I'm a happy camper.

The 1-2 upshift under WOT is brutal, the other WOT upshifts are perfect. If the 1-2 WOT doesn't soften up a little as the trans relearns, I may ask Jaimie for a programming change. Or maybe not. I'll just use it judiciously (or not).

EDIT 17jun15 : the 1-2 shift has leveled out. All is well now. Nice firm upshifts 1-6 now with no drama. Perfect

I hope the 'turn bog' is gone. I couldn't induce it tonite, but there were our guys in blue all over the place, so I was taking it easy. Time will tell.

Powering out of a low speed 90 degree turn on dry pavement can now invoke the nanny mode in "normal". Finally it's a driver.

Bottom line - why did I wait so long? The only time the stock tune will ever go back on is if I need it to pass emissions testing in Harris county and NYS!

More to come regarding the PC and tuner load process, what happens to your readiness monitors (hint - they reset), etc.

Looking forward to the drive to work tomorrow.

Have you used DashCommand to measure any power or torque gains? I'm not sure how much I trust the results it's giving me - it's reading 450+ hp and 500+ lbft...

Have you used DashCommand to measure any power or torque gains? I'm not sure how much I trust the results it's giving me - it's reading 450+ hp and 500+ lbft...
Hi TF, no I only use Dash Command for the timings. The hp and tq are calculated values based on questionable variables so I don't even look at them. Same for OBD Fusion and Blue Driver. Performance numbers, PID logging and code retrieval are all I use them for. The only hp and tq values I trust would be from a awd dyno.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^
solid advice!

Back