Help - Weathertech Mudflaps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help - Weathertech Mudflaps

sslinn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I ordered a bug deflector and mudflaps for my new 2015 Explorer from Weathertech and they arrived today. The bug deflector was fairly easy to install, but the mudflaps are a different story.

I am on step 3 of the instructions and the two screws just keep spinning when I try to remove them. Any tips?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That plastic crap again, you'll need to get some pressure from behind the plastic screw, a putty knife blade might help,and either put pressure on the blind end of the screw or try to lift under the screw head while turning counter clockwise.

Another option is to use pliers, to put the screw under tension, like you're trying to pull it out, while turning the screw. Just don't try and "force" it out-you might break the screw.

Thanks for the responses. I took another try at them and didn't want to be to forceful. No success. I will likely pay a body shop to install them.

Are these the plastic screws that go into the plastic holding like the push pin type holder? If so do not apply pressure against it when trying to unscrew it. Doing so just defeats the purpose of unscrewing it (your pushing it right back in). Even if unscrewing it "lightly" doesn't work take a flat blade screw driver and push it between the "washer" part of the screw holder and the vehicle and twist the flat blade screw driver slightly to put pressure on the "washer" so the screw unscrews while you take it out.

Body shop got them off. I guess I could have been more forceful. Thanks for the help guys.

Weathertech Mud Flaps

I just went through the same thing. I am going to try and find some longer replacement screws to install in place of the factory ones. There is not much "bite" there after you install the mud flaps.

I just went through the same thing. I am going to try and find some longer replacement screws to install in place of the factory ones. There is not much "bite" there after you install the mud flaps.

Yeah there is one I want to replace. Haven't quite had the time to find them online so please let me know if you do or the part number. I had am issue because I assume the rear and front rivets / screws were the same. They are not.

New question on an old thread.

I just received my mudflaps, and I'm wondering what size socket, box wrench, and allen wrench I need? I really don't feel like carrying the whole toolbox down to the vehicle (live in an apt building) when I can just take what I need to get the job done.
Also, can I use a trim tool to remove the fasteners, or is using the screw the best option?

Thanks for the help.

Back