Explorer hood vibrates | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer hood vibrates

Welcome to the Forum earlanderson.:wavey:
I'm pretty sure that the noise you are hearing is coming from the cowl that runs along the bottom of the windshield. There have been a few posts like yours and the cowl was the problem.

Peter

Not sure that I agree about the cowl being the source of the noise, but if it is, what is the fix for it? In our case, there was a perceptible vibration visible at the end of the hood just forward of the cowl. Pressing in a piece of split pipe insulation over the existing gasket seems to have at least temporarily alleviated the problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Usually if it is a problem with the hood, then it is because the hood has become from the bracing on the underside. If it is the cowl, then usually the dealer will replace it if they can reproduce the issue. There have been members that taped the cowl to see if the noise disappears. That is one way to try and isolate the source.

Peter

I have a buzz at 70+ and thought it was coming from the wipers. Did the "push" test on the hood and it didn't not feel solid at all.

Whipped out the ol' clip tool and pulled the hood insulation pad down and found that the foam/sealer had broken from the center support. The rest of the foam points looked good.

Another poster said the dealer re-foamed this area and it deformed the hood. I bet if you used a low/minimal expanding foam like the ones for window and door frames it would work well.

I could easily fix this myself, but I'm gonna take it to the dealership so that Ford has a warranty record of this. I would hope Ford is monitoring warranty claims like other OEMs I have worked for do.

Pics:

fr_304_size640.jpg

fr_303_size640.jpg

fr_307_size640.jpg

The hood vibration problem completely went away several months ago on my 2013 Explorer Sport after placing another piece of foam under the rear (windshield) end of the hood. I used split cylindrical foam that is intended for pipe freeze protection.

cowl issue

Hi all,

newbie here. We purchased our 2014 Explorer XLT last year with aprox. 7k miles on it. Off the bet we noticed the humming noise. We took it to the closest dealer (AutoNation Ford in Katy, TX) and they replaced the cowl which eliminated the humming. Just yesterday the same dealership replaced the purge valve (was stuck) as well as the instrument cluster since we had intermittent outages on the small screens to the left and right of the speedometer. After getting the car back the car was very jerky and was very slow. I contacted the the service adviser who stated that replacing the instrument cluster required for them to flash the ECU (i believe) and that the car will for next 30 miles or so undergo adaptive learning. This means ECU will for next 30 miles learn my driving style and adopt accordingly. So i took it on a 30 mile drive and that's when i noticed once again the humming noise and the hood. movement. Called the dealer today to make him aware that the humming noise is back and he said they will order a new cowl in to be replaced on Monday next week. So this is the second cowl replacement in less than a year of owning our car. I forgot to mention the hood to the adviser but will do when i go in on Monday.......After the 30 mile drive the car drives normal once again.......I hope the cowl replacement is not a yearly thing as my wife and i really like the car and i would hate to let it go.

Cheers,
Bo

2016 Explorer with same problem

I've had my 2016 Explorer for two weeks now. On the drive home from the dealership, I noticed a humming noise that sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side when I'm going 65+ mph. Of course the dealership was closing as I was leaving that Saturday so I couldn't call them about it. I took it to a local dealership last week. The technician put about 20 miles on my car driving it back and forth to the interstate but wasn't able to figure out the issue. He has a call into Ford but I haven't heard back. I was looking here for some possible answers. Would it be wrong for me to suggest looking at the "cowl"? After all, they are the service people and should be aware of these issues.

It is very aggravating to have a new car with issues. I talked with the dealership that I purchased from and the best they offered was $15 per day towards a rental. Sure wish they still had my trade!!!
:eek:

I just found this forum and joined because my wife's 2015 Explorer is having this same issue. Unbelievable! The service manager we talked to stated that another owner had the same issue and brought the car in 8 times. Ford engineers supposedly looked at it and called it "normal". As an engineer myself, this looks to me like a design issue that hasn't been fixed in several generations of vehicles. Is this the "normalization of deviance" at Ford? I've been pretty impressed with Ford to this point; we've owned a 2012 Fusion and 2013 and 14 Mustangs. If we can't get this fixed, it'll be the last Ford we buy.

I am glad I have found this thread.. I have been having the same issue with my '16 sport. I have noticed that the rubber seemed to be maybe not sealed all the way against the glass (right below the wiper blade). For other people with the problem is this the same case with yall? I thought about getting glue or something to see if that would fix it, but I don't want to do anything that would cause the dealer to not fix it if that didn't work.

After the 30 mile drive the car drives normal once again.......I hope the cowl replacement is not a yearly thing as my wife and i really like the car and i would hate to let it go.

Hi gkibo83,

I'm Todd, and I'm helping Tricia out on the forum while she's away on a short vacation. I'm glad to hear everything is running smoothly again. I'm here i you have any questions.

He has a call into Ford but I haven't heard back. I was looking here for some possible answers. Would it be wrong for me to suggest looking at the "cowl"? After all, they are the service people and should be aware of these issues.

I just found this forum and joined because my wife's 2015 Explorer is having this same issue. Unbelievable! The service manager we talked to stated that another owner had the same issue and brought the car in 8 times.

I am glad I have found this thread.. I have been having the same issue with my '16 sport. I have noticed that the rubber seemed to be maybe not sealed all the way against the glass (right below the wiper blade). For other people with the problem is this the same case with yall? I thought about getting glue or something to see if that would fix it, but I don't want to do anything that would cause the dealer to not fix it if that didn't work.

Pleased to make your acquaintance, folks. I'm going to look into further options on my end. Please send me a PM with your full name, phone number VIN, up-to-date mileage, and servicing dealership.

Thank you.

Hi gkibo83,

I'm Todd, and I'm helping Tricia out on the forum while she's away on a short vacation. I'm glad to hear everything is running smoothly again. I'm here i you have any questions

Pleased to make your acquaintance, folks. I'm going to look into further options on my end. Please send me a PM with your full name, phone number VIN, up-to-date mileage, and servicing dealership.

Thank you.

Hi Todd,

I'll respond to you later today. Heard from the dealer that the car is fixed, so I'll update status once we drive it. I'm being told now there is a Ford TSB associated with it, which I am assuming is a Ford Technical Service Bulletin. Will try to get more specifics at the pick-up. Andy

Hi Todd,

I'll respond to you later today. Heard from the dealer that the car is fixed, so I'll update status once we drive it. I'm being told now there is a Ford TSB associated with it, which I am assuming is a Ford Technical Service Bulletin. Will try to get more specifics at the pick-up. Andy

Sounds like a plan, andyfoster1. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Todd

Ok, gang, it looks like car is fixed, though my ability to get to the speeds (>70 mph) where it occurs was limited. I'll know more in the next few weeks. If you have this problem and a 2015 model, the associated Technical Service Bulletin is TSB 15-0111 which replaces the cowl panel. The cowl panel is the black plastic panel that fits in the gap between the hood and the windshield below the wipers. It's only about a one hour repair.

Ok, gang, it looks like car is fixed, though my ability to get to the speeds (>70 mph) where it occurs was limited. I'll know more in the next few weeks. If you have this problem and a 2015 model, the associated Technical Service Bulletin is TSB 15-0111 which replaces the cowl panel. The cowl panel is the black plastic panel that fits in the gap between the hood and the windshield below the wipers. It's only about a one hour repair.

I have a 2016 but the same issue.. I went to my dealer and they said they were aware of the bulletin but they said it was a 3 hour job but that they were backed up and if I dropped it off yesterday it would be next week before they could fix it.. What a joke. I guess I need to find a different dealer to get it serviced.

I'm glad things are back to normal, andyfoster1! Let me know if you have any questions moving forward.

I have a 2016 but the same issue.. I went to my dealer and they said they were aware of the bulletin but they said it was a 3 hour job but that they were backed up and if I dropped it off yesterday it would be next week before they could fix it.. What a joke. I guess I need to find a different dealer to get it serviced.

Hi jadam320,

This isn't the experience I want for you. Shoot over a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and your dealer choice.

Thanks,

Todd

I'm glad things are back to normal, andyfoster1! Let me know if you have any questions moving forward.

Hi jadam320,

This isn't the experience I want for you. Shoot over a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and your dealer choice.

Thanks,

Todd

Hey Todd, I PM'ed you the info yesterday.. Thanks.

Glad I found this thread,,, Thought I was going Krazy..
Mine a [2015-Sport] seemed like it started after I installed my lowering springs and test drove it.
I don't always get to drive it as the wife has it most.

My question is... If this has been going on for what I read years..
Why hasn't Ford made a change to fix it???
I see the 2016's are doing it also...

Yep, some of the 2016s are doing this also. My wife took our '16 Sport in to get the driver's side weatherstripping and the rear passenger window replaced due to me finding them damaged before driving off after the sale. While there, she told them about the hood vibrating, which distracts the hell out of me when I drive it. They said it's normal and a characteristic of a lighter hood??!! Haven't noticed any humming, but the radio is on 99% of the time. I'll be on the look out for that this week. I'll also look into taking it to a different dealer next time.

Yep, some of the 2016s are doing this also. My wife took our '16 Sport in to get the driver's side weatherstripping and the rear passenger window replaced due to me finding them damaged before driving off after the sale. While there, she told them about the hood vibrating, which distracts the hell out of me when I drive it. They said it's normal and a characteristic of a lighter hood??!! Haven't noticed any humming, but the radio is on 99% of the time. I'll be on the look out for that this week. I'll also look into taking it to a different dealer next time.

My 2016 was fixed last week. The shop manager knew exactly what the issue was... The cowl was not sealed properly and they replaced some pins that hold the cowl into place under the hood? I think that is what they told me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2016 was fixed last week. The shop manager knew exactly what the issue was... The cowl was not sealed properly and they replaced some pins that hold the cowl into place under the hood? I think that is what they told me.

Was your hood vibrating? I'm guessing our cowl is fine, as I haven't heard a humming noise the few times I've driven it. My wife likes listening to music, so it's doubtful she will ever hear it, even if it's there. lol Was your cowl separating from the windshield at all? I'll do a visual and a test drive later this week when she's not working.

Back