Rearview Camera Problems | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hey y'all

Haven't posted for a while, mainly because my 2012 Explorer has been behaving itself. Until recently.

Got the dreaded "camera unavailable please contact your dealer" message a few weeks ago, first intermittently now permanently. Battery disconnect fixed it briefly.

Dealer told me this morning $600 to fix and it's not covered by my ESP that I already paid $$$ for. Plus I have to pay for diagnostic time.

Oh, and they want $2,000 to fix an intermittent fault with the front collision sensor.

All this on a vehicle that's less than four years old?!

Crystal, I sent you a PM ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2013 Explorer XLT backup camera

I'm having the same problem as many others have posted. Intermittent camera black out, sometimes doesn't work at all. Took it to the dealer, they said camera needed to be replaced at a cost of > $500, I told them I couldn't do that. They also charged $115 for the diagnosis. :( I've sent a PM to FordService.

Update: Had a voicemail on Thursday morning from my CSM, called back and left her a voicemail, nothing since. Collected the car Thurs evening, invoiced an hour's diag time to remove / replace rear panel and determine "camera connector corroded".

Following the instructions earlier in this thread I took the rear panel off this morning. I have to say, either the dealership were scrupulous in not marking any of the nuts / bolts with their tools, or they didn't actually remove it at all. Given the crud buildup behind the panel I strongly suspect they didn't.

Pulled the camera, sprayed a little DeoxIT on the connectors. Put it back together and b*gger me if the camera hasn't started working again. The whole enterprise must have taken me less than half an hour; it's a 15 minute job if that, four 10mm bolts and two 11mm nuts. Definitely worth others trying this before replacing the camera (which, incidentally, is available online for less than $100).

So I guess I just saved myself $600. The dealership (Koons in Falls Church) has lost themselves a customer in the process - I don't like people trying to rip me off. And they didn't fix the brake noise they were supposed to check out.

Back up camera

I have had a lot of problems with my 2011 Explorer. The latest was my back up camera not working. I took it to my dealer and was told the camera was dead and had to be replaced. Well over $ 300.00 later it was replaced. Is this a problem with this Bata year? My sync was updated at the same time because I can not up date myself, it has to be done at the dealer. Is this a problem with the 2011? Picked up my vehicle and the camera works, however no sound. Back to the dealer Monday. Any Ideas?

Not a happy Ford guy.:thumbdwn:

I have had a lot of problems with my 2011 Explorer. The latest was my back up camera not working. I took it to my dealer and was told the camera was dead and had to be replaced. Well over $ 300.00 later it was replaced. Is this a problem with this Bata year? My sync was updated at the same time because I can not up date myself, it has to be done at the dealer. Is this a problem with the 2011? Picked up my vehicle and the camera works, however no sound. Back to the dealer Monday. Any Ideas?

Camera problems not specific to 2011. Our 2013 camera starting going intermittent with just over 36k miles. Dealer said out of warranty and extended warranty wouldn't cover either. Contacted Ford Service. Exchanged voice mails with CSM a few times then they stopped calling me all together. This is the first Ford we've owned and will be our last. We've had issues with service since the day we bought the vehicle new. Tried different dealerships thinking one might be better than the other. No dice.

Cuz Ford builds cameras now? lol. Find a good dealer.

I love the sweeping statements "this will be our last" I am sure every other maker has no issues. Good luck with your GM/Chrysler product - because you're biggest worry wont be a camera, it will be "what faulty thing on this may kill me today?" Or have they already been checked off your list?

Cuz Ford builds cameras now? lol. Find a good dealer.

I love the sweeping statements "this will be our last" I am sure every other maker has no issues. Good luck with your GM/Chrysler product - because you're biggest worry wont be a camera, it will be "what faulty thing on this may kill me today?" Or have they already been checked off your list?

LOL...must have struck a nerve. No need to be hateful.

All makes have issues, some much worse than others but in the 35 years Ive owned vehicles (Jeep (pre Chrysler), GM, Chrysler/Jeep, Mazda, Acura, Honda, and Toyota, I've never had this much of an issue with service after the sale from 2 different dealers, and for other issues besides camera. So let me rephrase, perhaps I was being a bit too unreasonable. Unless we get better service on our next visit, which will be for oil dripping from bottom of engine, (hopefully something not tight after last oil change) we may be inclined to not purchase another Ford product. And you're right...I do need to find a good dealer, I just haven't yet.

Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
As mentioned, the camera issues are not limited to the 2011 model. It seems the issue is beginning to creep into other earlier model years as well as you can see in this thread. When you say "no sound" I assume you are referring to the rear sensors. I don't believe there is a connection between the two features. They may have done something to cause them to stop working while removing/installing the camera. As far as MFT updates, some were dealer install but many of the latest were owner self installs.
It would also be helpful if you added the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin every time you post.:thumbsup:

Peter

Maybe I have missed the answer in viewing the past threads but I have a 2013 Explorer Limited 302A and the backup camera is doing the same thing, sometimes working sometimes not and also getting the black screen. What has been the best solution for this problem?

Maybe I have missed the answer in viewing the past threads but I have a 2013 Explorer Limited 302A and the backup camera is doing the same thing, sometimes working sometimes not and also getting the black screen. What has been the best solution for this problem?

Clean the contacts at the electrical connector on the camera and if that doesn't correct it replace the camera.

People are seeing camera failures. Here is my reasoning and you can argue if you want. The camera is exposed to the elements: acid rain, salt, mud, snow, temperature changes (especially when washing a vehicle which brings up another point - high pressure washers), etc. I doubt any camera is 100 percent weatherproof...sure they can be weather resistant but not proof.

I personally wouldn't expect a camera to last. The more "weather" it sees and and the more "extremes" it sees the less it's lifetime will be.

Will I be happy when mine goes...no I won't especially if warranty doesn't cover it (I have the top of the line extended Ford warranty) but it won't be a surprise that it goes bad.

I also want to add in case people haven't read it (think it is covered in this thread somewhere) but replacing the camera doesn't involve just the physical replacement of it.

The camera itself retails for like $135 I believe.
Then there would be the labor of replacing it and we all know how dealers charge an arm and a leg for labor.

****Once the camera is replaced the dealer has to hook it up to the IDS (ford programming software) and initialize the camera for use with your vehicle. Such things such as the back up grid, etc may not work until this is done.

So with diagnostic time and labor and programming I can see it getting expensive. If you are a do it yourself-er....grab a camera on line for about $100, replace it yourself and then go to the dealer and have them program it. Yeah they are going to charge you for that but overall much cheaper than having them do all the work.

Clean the contacts at the electrical connector on the camera and if that doesn't correct it replace the camera.

People are seeing camera failures. Here is my reasoning and you can argue if you want. The camera is exposed to the elements: acid rain, salt, mud, snow, temperature changes (especially when washing a vehicle which brings up another point - high pressure washers), etc. I doubt any camera is 100 percent weatherproof...sure they can be weather resistant but not proof.

I personally wouldn't expect a camera to last. The more "weather" it sees and and the more "extremes" it sees the less it's lifetime will be.

Will I be happy when mine goes...no I won't especially if warranty doesn't cover it (I have the top of the line extended Ford warranty) but it won't be a surprise that it goes bad.

Thanks for the advice! I will start there and see if that helps with the inconsistencies.

We bought our 2013 Ford Explorer used about a month ago. Love this vehicle, never thought I'd end up in an Explorer.

Last night the backup camera started acting up. Went black screen and said Camera not avalable, contact dealer. The next time I put it in reverse it worked. So it's currently working about 75% of the time I'd say after only a month's worth of driving.

I see it's got several pages here worth of data on this problem. We haven't even had a chance to look at extended warranty info but it sounds like that won't cover it anyway even if we were to add that.

I'll try the fuse button pull and see if that corrects it for now. I can tell you my hubby won't be happy to be replacing a backup camera on a 2 year old vehicle especially for the range of dollars people are showing it's been quoted for, which by the way shouldn't that be fairly standardized cost instead of all over the place from different dealers? That seems a bit on the odd side as well.

We bought our 2013 Ford Explorer used about a month ago. Love this vehicle, never thought I'd end up in an Explorer.

Last night the backup camera started acting up. Went black screen and said Camera not avalable, contact dealer. The next time I put it in reverse it worked. So it's currently working about 75% of the time I'd say after only a month's worth of driving.

I see it's got several pages here worth of data on this problem. We haven't even had a chance to look at extended warranty info but it sounds like that won't cover it anyway even if we were to add that.

I'll try the fuse button pull and see if that corrects it for now. I can tell you my hubby won't be happy to be replacing a backup camera on a 2 year old vehicle especially for the range of dollars people are showing it's been quoted for, which by the way shouldn't that be fairly standardized cost instead of all over the place from different dealers? That seems a bit on the odd side as well.

Dealers have their own hourly rate, diagnostic rate, etc. They are not required to charge the same.

Does anyone have the full part #, for a back up camera on a 2011 explorer limited? I've got the partial part #(19G490), off the ford parts site, but after searching, I'm finding numerous full part #'s.
I've found these linked to the explorer after searching:
FC3Z19G490A
BB5Z19G490-A
DB5Z19G490A

Bb5z19g490a

My Similar Problem with camera

Hi all
So suddenly, ONLY when my car is cold, I get the "Camera Unavailable" message on my SYNC screen. Once my car (Ford 2013 Escape) has warmed up - it works fine. Seems the initial 'connection' to SYNC just doesnt quite make it. Took to dealership (Its an after market install) - said they fixed it - exactly same problem the following day. Any ideas please?

Hi all
So suddenly, ONLY when my car is cold, I get the "Camera Unavailable" message on my SYNC screen. Once my car (Ford 2013 Escape) has warmed up - it works fine. Seems the initial 'connection' to SYNC just doesnt quite make it. Took to dealership (Its an after market install) - said they fixed it - exactly same problem the following day. Any ideas please?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
FYI, there is a Ford Escape forum but it doesn't appear to be very active;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=170
I don't know if the Escape has the same setup for the rearview camera as the Explorer or not. If I had to guess, I would think that perhaps an electrical component in the camera may be on the verge of breaking down altogether.
I'm sure others may have their own ideas.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all

If it is aftermarket I am suprised the dealer even looked at it. The display (is it the 4.2" or the 8") is not "seeing" the video input therefore it is throwing the error. You have a wiring or camera problem.

Back