What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

The Stubby antenna is about four inches long. I did not think of getting a shark fin. If you replace the original with a shark fin doesn't that require more than just screwing the new antenna in? I agree the shark fin looks the best but it sure is easy to just unscrew the original one and screw in a new one that's a lot smaller.

Ive installed sharkfins on 2 vehicles now. Less than 5 mins. Paint is an EXACT match. No signal loss.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Installed my VG sharkfin antenna and CoverCraft sunshade last night. This is my second antenna from VG. I had one for a Pontiac G8 before this and color was spot on as well. Awesome product. LED puddle lights coming next.

IMG_20150811_200249295_zpseodthkkw.jpg

IMG_20150811_200312691_zpsjnvzdtae.jpg

lol - I have a pontiac G8.

how much was the sunshade? how's the quality. I need one for our 2016.

lol - I have a pontiac G8.

how much was the sunshade? how's the quality. I need one for our 2016.

Very nice quality, I have one for my 2006 mustang GT also. They run about $50, but last forever. Seeing that the 2016 is different, you'll probably have to go to their website directly.

If my G8 was a GXP, I probably would still have it and not traded it in on the explorer LOL

Good idea! Today, I ordered LED fog replacement bulbs for the 2016 Limited that I drove home from the dealership last night!

Oh I hate my XLT fog bulbs. I had no idea. Horrible difference. How much are those LED replacements? I'm assuming I could do this on an XLT also?

Very nice quality, I have one for my 2006 mustang GT also. They run about $50, but last forever. Seeing that the 2016 is different, you'll probably have to go to their website directly.

If my G8 was a GXP, I probably would still have it and not traded it in on the explorer LOL

I bet I know you from another website - the screen name is similar but now the same.

I bet I know you from another website - the screen name is similar but now the same.

I'm on a lot of the mustang facebook groups because I work at Late Model Restoration and was on some of the G8 forums and facebook groups.

Had my fire extinguisher inspected and recharged.

image1_zpshyvxvxrl.jpg

I'm on a lot of the mustang facebook groups because I work at Late Model Restoration and was on some of the G8 forums and facebook groups.

Awesome company! Being I just came from a Mustang GT.

Smoked out dthe tail lights today on my 2016 Sport.

I had the tailights wrapped with lightly smoked vinyl tint . I felt they would blend more into the overall blacked out sport theme of the Explorer Sport.

Looks great

Thanks Patsy. How do you like your Platinum? I have never seen one in the wild.

I had the tailights wrapped with lightly smoked vinyl tint . I felt they would blend more into the overall blacked out sport theme of the Explorer Sport.

With tint

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oonn4wr9yvg1glu/2015-08-19 15.19.17.jpg?dl=0

vs. factory

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/51whboo9fa29ezr/AABKXLqGU_qNQwICOmkDzCLTa

Ive been wanting to do this on my 2015, where did you buy the tint? Im affaid ill not get it lined up perfect and you will be able to see bubbles in it or something, or the edges will peel.

Ive found this kit on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-14-Explo...s-/390664470264?fits=Make:Ford|Model:Explorer but im affaid of the quality since its so cheap.

I had this place called United Solar do it for me. It costs 80 bucks installed. To me it was worth it to have it done correctly.

Had my fire extinguisher inspected and recharged.

That looks cool!

I have a BC rated dry chemical fire extinguisher, and its crummy red. Do you think that would work, if something caught fire inside or outside my truck? Where can I get a black one?

And why did you mount yours in the cargo area? Why not along the A pillar or somewhere in the front?

Installed a police interceptor push bar on my 2011 XLT. Really pleased that there was no drilling necessary and the only cut I had to do was a simple snip on the bumper to clear the bracket. It's pretty strong.

F35C80FD-26CC-4BEF-9FCD-2429B39EA716_zpsovaaqnnc.jpg

8003B65D-83F2-44D1-A109-970B08A663E8_zpsroakird6.jpg

7A3FEF78-65ED-4BC7-9F4F-911F74491BF8_zpsfgzprryk.jpg

F6933BC0-DDF3-4BDF-ABA5-355DEF4C19C1_zpscwmp8pmu.jpg

Installed a police interceptor push bar on my 2011 XLT. Really pleased that there was no drilling necessary and the only cut I had to do was a simple snip on the bumper to clear the bracket. It's pretty strong.

That's lookin' sweet! One day I will do this.

That's lookin' sweet! One day I will do this.

It was a really easy install. I recommend the police interceptor bumpers like Go Rhino or Setina push bars instead of those ugly bullbars. Setina also offers an aluminum version that is lighter. I went with the Go Rhino push bumper, steel version, 51 pounds, that I found on Ebay for $200. You might find one on there again for around that price.

The mounts are different depending if you have an Ecoboost or regular 3.5L. So when buying one of these, make sure you get the right mounts for your car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks cool!

I have a BC rated dry chemical fire extinguisher, and its crummy red. Do you think that would work, if something caught fire inside or outside my truck? Where can I get a black one?

And why did you mount yours in the cargo area? Why not along the A pillar or somewhere in the front?

Depends on what you plan on "using" the BC extinguisher for. If you are looking for an extinguisher, find a halon fire extinguisher, as opposed to a dry chemical one.

The ABC-rated dry chemical extinguisher I have pictured is mounted on one side. It's rated A for trash, wood, paper, etc fires; B for fires propelled by liquids such as gas, oil, paints, etc; and C for fires in live electrical equipment. Although I can use my ABC extinguisher for electrical fires in my Ex, I would choose not to because while it will extinguish the fire, the residue left from the extinguisher could damage the truck's paint, finishes, and electrical components.

On the other side of the cargo area (not pictured), I have a black halon fire extinguisher, which leaves no residue, will not harm the truck's paint, is perfectly safe for electrical fires, and will not damage electrical components.

Why two extinguishers, and why both different types? I'm a bit outdoorsy, I travel a bit, and have been in various situations that have educated me on being more prepared for things.

The ABC extinguisher I reserve for A, B, C situations not in, near, or involving my Ex (example: campfire or any other fire with reasonable distance away from my car or any one else's car to avoid damaging mine/their paint or electrical components). This extinguisher is great for A, B, and C situations.

On the other hand, the halon extinguisher, I reserve for A, B, C situations in, near, or involving my Ex (example: engine bay fire, the car near mine is on fire, my car is on fire, whatever). Although this extinguisher can work in A, B, and C situations, it works best in B and C situations, but is a "bit" less of an effective agent in A situations.

But in all seriousness, in a real emergency who has time to grab the right extinguisher?

Me: "Honey! Grab the halon extinguisher.... quick!"
Wife: "Ok! Which one is it?"
Me: "The black one!"
Wife: "WTF? They're both black!!!!!"
Me: :banghead:

I chose specifically not to mount them on any pillar or in the front because of safety reasons. In an accident you don't want two heavy extinguishers flying around... or you don't want to hit your head on any of them.... or most importantly, you don't want their positioning to have an adverse affect on the safety features (ie. the airbags, etc). Thus, the cargo area is the best choice for me.

Back