What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Depends on what you plan on "using" the BC extinguisher for. If you are looking for an extinguisher, find a halon fire extinguisher, as opposed to a dry chemical one.

The ABC-rated dry chemical extinguisher I have pictured is mounted on one side. It's rated A for trash, wood, paper, etc fires; B for fires propelled by liquids such as gas, oil, paints, etc; and C for fires in live electrical equipment. Although I can use my ABC extinguisher for electrical fires in my Ex, I would choose not to because while it will extinguish the fire, the residue left from the extinguisher could damage the truck's paint, finishes, and electrical components.

On the other side of the cargo area (not pictured), I have a black halon fire extinguisher, which leaves no residue, will not harm the truck's paint, is perfectly safe for electrical fires, and will not damage electrical components.

Why two extinguishers, and why both different types? I'm a bit outdoorsy, I travel a bit, and have been in various situations that have educated me on being more prepared for things.

The ABC extinguisher I reserve for A, B, C situations not in, near, or involving my Ex (example: campfire or any other fire with reasonable distance away from my car or any one else's car to avoid damaging mine/their paint or electrical components). This extinguisher is great for A, B, and C situations.

On the other hand, the halon extinguisher, I reserve for A, B, C situations in, near, or involving my Ex (example: engine bay fire, the car near mine is on fire, my car is on fire, whatever). Although this extinguisher can work in A, B, and C situations, it works best in B and C situations, but is a "bit" less of an effective agent in A situations.

But in all seriousness, in a real emergency who has time to grab the right extinguisher?

Me: "Honey! Grab the halon extinguisher.... quick!"
Wife: "Ok! Which one is it?"
Me: "The black one!"
Wife: "WTF? They're both black!!!!!"
Me: :banghead:

I chose specifically not to mount them on any pillar or in the front because of safety reasons. In an accident you don't want two heavy extinguishers flying around... or you don't want to hit your head on any of them.... or most importantly, you don't want their positioning to have an adverse affect on the safety features (ie. the airbags, etc). Thus, the cargo area is the best choice for me.

Makes sense, it would be deadly for a fire extinguisher to flying around. Thanks for explaining the rating categories. I've been googling some halon fire extinguishers, and they are pricey! Around $300 for the bottle, and almost a couple hundred for just the bracket that holds it?? Im conflicted, but with my luck, the moment i spend the money on a mod, my engine catches fire lol.

why didnt you get 2 halon's??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

View attachment 85534 View attachment 85535 So she got her first hand wash today...dam she's a lot bigger than the 2nd Gen :)...put 2 coats of wax on the rims and exhaust tips...is it me or do these brakes put out a lot of brake dust?...I feel I am cleaning them after every trip...also what are you guys using to shine up the black moldings on the bottom? I put a little tire shine on a rag and hit all the trim I like the wet look a lot better...overall 812 miles in and loving this explorer!!!

Sweeeet! I used to use this stuff called Back to black, but, i find that any of the long lasting tire and trim shine works well. Meguiars makes a good one.

So she got her first hand wash today...dam she's a lot bigger than the 2nd Gen :)...put 2 coats of wax on the rims and exhaust tips...is it me or do these brakes put out a lot of brake dust?...I feel I am cleaning them after every trip...also what are you guys using to shine up the black moldings on the bottom? I put a little tire shine on a rag and hit all the trim I like the wet look a lot better...overall 812 miles in and loving this explorer!!!

Ride looks sweet! I use Meguiar's Ultimate Black for the body trim molding.

That's lookin' sweet! One day I will do this.
Since you haven't added the models of your Explorers to your profile, I just want to say that if you have Adaptive Cruise Control, the added bumper will likely prevent the ACC from working since it appears to cover the area where the radar unit sits.

Peter

Makes sense, it would be deadly for a fire extinguisher to flying around. Thanks for explaining the rating categories. I've been googling some halon fire extinguishers, and they are pricey! Around $300 for the bottle, and almost a couple hundred for just the bracket that holds it?? Im conflicted, but with my luck, the moment i spend the money on a mod, my engine catches fire lol.

why didnt you get 2 halon's??

Yes, halons can be pricey. But it's worth it, especially since it's auto-friendly and has very low maintenance. Visual inspections and weighing are done yearly, recharged every 5-6 years, and hydrostatic tested every 10-12 years. Dry chemical ones have similar schedules, but the contents tend to settle or harden, forcing owners to get them checked/serviced more often.

While two halons would have been okay, I wanted at least one fire extinguisher that performs outstanding in A category situations--and the halons perform okay, but not outstanding in such categories.

Since you likely cannot buy both kinds, if you had to choose either, get a halon.

Yes, halons can be pricey. But it's worth it, especially since it's auto-friendly and has very low maintenance. Visual inspections and weighing are done yearly, recharged every 5-6 years, and hydrostatic tested every 10-12 years. Dry chemical ones have similar schedules, but the contents tend to settle or harden, forcing owners to get them checked/serviced more often.

While two halons would have been okay, I wanted at least one fire extinguisher that performs outstanding in A category situations--and the halons perform okay, but not outstanding in such categories.

Since you likely cannot buy both kinds, if you had to choose either, get a halon.

thanks for the info. I will make this investment. I found this extinguisher in wrinkle black... http://www.lpiracing.com/Safecraft-PB2BW-Fire-Extinguisher-2-50-Lb-Black-Wrinkle-2167p186779.htm

Think this is a good halon?

Well, not today, but the day before yesterday, Betsy got a clear bra installed:
full hood, fenders, bumpers and mirrors. This involved replacing the hood letters as well, but just such a cleaner look than having a cut out in the clear bra for the letters!
Door cups will follow next week.

full hood, fenders, bumpers and mirrors. This involved replacing the hood letters as well, but just such a cleaner look than having a cut out in the clear bra for the letters!

Without pics it didn't happen. :D

Without pics it didn't happen. :D

I can take a few, and if you can tell where the clear bra is (well, I already told you :D )... Then I havd to get back to my installer and complain ;)

thanks for the info. I will make this investment. I found this extinguisher in wrinkle black... http://www.lpiracing.com/Safecraft-PB2BW-Fire-Extinguisher-2-50-Lb-Black-Wrinkle-2167p186779.htm

Think this is a good halon?

This is an excellent one, and I have the same exact type--black wrinkle. Be sure to get the quick-release bracket (flat plate) with it.

After putting the clear bra on, did you put the letters back on top of it? If so, are the letters sticking well on there?

Today I added the XML2 LED fog lights....
(DS still has stock halogen for pic comparison purposes!)

5C958222-979E-46AA-969A-AFA8BBE91667_zpsesocbmey.jpg

371AC79C-7D61-451D-AF12-8E746EC3B495_zpsvgdf25vd.jpg

After putting the clear bra on, did you put the letters back on top of it? If so, are the letters sticking well on there?

Shadow, yes and no. We didn't reuse the old ones, since the glue on them was toast through removing. But I bought new lettering (Levittown Ford, $65.09) to go on.
As of yet it holds up perfectly. Also my installer was very pleased that the lettering came already spaced out, he had an easy job installing it.

Yesterday I finally came around to painting my emblem black. For now just the front, it took a while.
This picture shows the emblem, but also the lettering a little closer on the hood on top of the clear bra.

uhm instead of halon I would use (have used) co2 bottles. I haven't seen one for a while but that's what I would use.

Halon can be very very dangerous - because it's poisonous. it does work for it's function well but per various regulations it's really only intended for aircraft use.

Co2 is equally metal and wireing friendly.

and I'd swear someone was selling some that use aqueous foam (soap and water injected with inert nitrogen)

Shadow, yes and no. We didn't reuse the old ones, since the glue on them was toast through removing. But I bought new lettering (Levittown Ford, $65.09) to go on.
As of yet it holds up perfectly. Also my installer was very pleased that the lettering came already spaced out, he had an easy job installing it.

Yesterday I finally came around to painting my emblem black. For now just the front, it took a while.
This picture shows the emblem, but also the lettering a little closer on the hood on top of the clear bra.

Everything looks good so far!

uhm instead of halon I would use (have used) co2 bottles. I haven't seen one for a while but that's what I would use.

Halon can be very very dangerous - because it's poisonous. it does work for it's function well but per various regulations it's really only intended for aircraft use.

Co2 is equally metal and wireing friendly.

and I'd swear someone was selling some that use aqueous foam (soap and water injected with inert nitrogen)

Even CO2 can be poisonous with varying concentrations. In any case, inhaling any type of fire extinguishing agent is potentially dangerous, and I would suggest anyone to hold their breath regardless of the type they use. And so far, my ABC and halon haven't let me down in various types of situations I've been in.

equally true - but it's a little safer over all.

I used to carry CO2 in my racecar when I would racecar.

I need to look for that aqueous foam device - I like the idea. works damn well on the ramp (we use then off plane, and in our main fire truck)

clear bra - stick on film or that new spray on stuff from 3M

I'm planning on getting the 3 m stuff for my car.

wash, clay bar, wash again (well rinse), then apply spray twice. hood, and perhaps bumper cover. and front edge of fenders.

equally true - but it's a little safer over all.

I used to carry CO2 in my racecar when I would racecar.

I need to look for that aqueous foam device - I like the idea. works damn well on the ramp (we use then off plane, and in our main fire truck)

If you find a 2-pounder in black, let me know. I always got room for one more, or maybe I can retire my halon. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

clear bra - stick on film or that new spray on stuff from 3M

I'm planning on getting the 3 m stuff for my car.

wash, clay bar, wash again (well rinse), then apply spray twice. hood, and perhaps bumper cover. and front edge of fenders.

Stick on film. I'm really happy with it so far. It still smells a little since it takes around a month to fully cure, but car washes are just forbidden for the first 4-5 days. And within the first month any bubbles or stretch marks are supposed to vanish.

Back