Rusty Tailgate Posts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rusty Tailgate Posts

2001 Sport Trac, basic. The tail gate posts, right where the tailgate "hinges" are mounted, are rusting out. Not critical yet, but won't be long on the passenger side. Has anyone out there had experience in repairing these? Are there rust repair parts available? Any help would be appreciated!:help:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rust is an evil bi-otch.
Post some pics to help diagnose.

/home/stephan/Desktop/photo 1.JPG
/home/stephan/Desktop/photo 2.JPG

Hope this helps. No access from the backside. Pretty limited room.

Well...that didn't work. Linux computer. May have to go to a windows computer.

You need to go to a image hosting site and upload them. Then use the url from there.
tinyoic works well, imgure does not work ... maybe photobucket will also work.

Thank you sir......appreciate the tip!

8.jpg

8.jpg

Hoping this works......

yeah thats pretty significant.

I see at least one panel that needs to be replaced.

I have seen "rust repair"parts for other trucks for this area, but find none for Sport Trac. Does one exist to your knowledge? Or is this a situation where we would have to fabricate and weld, once cut back to solid metal? My biggest concern is not messing up the painted sheet metal. Is there a way to pull that back enough that it would allow access for some sort of cutter, and not be affected by the welding heat? Appreciate any tips you might have.

I am not aware of any rust repair panels specifically, but you can get direct replacement panels from Ford.

I am not completely familiar with the Sport Trac's, just lookin at the pic it seems the panel in question is a separate piece, it also appears to not be attached to the outer panel. I gotta give some other Sport Trac a closer look.
Either way, that piece is pretty heavy duty. If I am a betting man, I would bet it runs the length of the back end, top to bottom.

Thanks. I have been rooting around the internet....found the part number, but it appears to be an integral part of a larger assembly, as you suggest. I'll try to attach that exploded view. No longer in production.

2ak07mb.jpg

That pretty much leaves me with trying to cut all or part of one out of a wrecked unit, or cutting out the bad back to good metal, and piecing it back. Either way, it will be as you say, a "bi-otch". The truck is in great shape and worth the effort, but, man......

up hill battle, but it seems worth it.

I realize this is an old post but for anyone with the same problem, the three pieces shown in the parts breakdown are actually all factory welded together. Only available from a wrecking yard. bolted to plastic pickup box and rear two box hold down bolts go through it. I had to remove it at the wrecking yard myself. Have to lift box off of frame to remove.

Thanks. I have been rooting around the internet....found the part number, but it appears to be an integral part of a larger assembly, as you suggest. I'll try to attach that exploded view. No longer in production.

2ak07mb.jpg

That pretty much leaves me with trying to cut all or part of one out of a wrecked unit, or cutting out the bad back to good metal, and piecing it back. Either way, it will be as you say, a "bi-otch". The truck is in great shape and worth the effort, but, man......
Awesome! My buddy might need this part number diagram for his 2001, we will be working on it right after we finished installing the new brake kit on the current Ranger project.

You can't remove the rust that is too much on your tail gate. What you can do is buy a new one and really tightly seal the holes and a sealant.

Rock auto has certain panels and mounts to weld in, but not sure if its what you're looking for specifically. As you probably know, the only way to stop rust is to remove it completely, and that still sometimes isn't enough.

Back