Sync 3 | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3

That's interesting that you would include a Volvo Station Wagon/SUV in the same class as an Explorer, I never put them together as competitors.

While Volvo has an excellent reputation I dont see how they are in the same class. Where is the 3rd row?

IMHO I have never found the Volvo styling very appealing, but that's a personal choice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cant believe no sync-3

I could understand keeping the old MFT radio system in the base model but If I am purchasing the 2016 platinum edition I don't want a 5 year old infotainment system (I know that it has been patched and some of the absolutely horrendous problems have been fixed but still it is an old system).

I really wanted to order a new platinum explorer but now I will be looking elsewhere since it is looking like ford has it set that they will not be offering the new radio infotainment system until 2017 even in the platinum editions. That is a shame given that they know the old radios are very dated and have been superseded with the new sync3 system.

This is old school thinking and Ford needs to understand that 5 year old tech needs to go, or at least be stuck in the cheap cars and not the top of the line models. :(

I could understand keeping the old MFT radio system in the base model but If I am purchasing the 2016 platinum edition I don't want a 5 year old infotainment system (I know that it has been patched and some of the absolutely horrendous problems have been fixed but still it is an old system).

I really wanted to order a new platinum explorer but now I will be looking elsewhere since it is looking like ford has it set that they will not be offering the new radio infotainment system until 2017 even in the platinum editions. That is a shame given that they know the old radios are very dated and have been superseded with the new sync3 system.

This is old school thinking and Ford needs to understand that 5 year old tech needs to go, or at least be stuck in the cheap cars and not the top of the line models. :(

I'm quite sure if it was ready for the Explorer it would be in it.

Trust me, the people working on the Explorer platform want MFT gone as fast if not faster than you do.

As SYNC3 is fully integrated into the vehicle's HVAC and multi media systems it had to be tested thoroughly with all the Explorer models.

The testing did not pass and as such it will not go into production until 2017.

I agree with you it should have been tested and approved while the 2015 was in production and ready to go for Job1 2016 refresh, but it didn't happen and we will wait till 2017.

It's only 6 months till you can order a 2017 in March, with production shortly thereafter.

It is not difficult to integrate the HVAC and other systems into the radio head end units. In fact they already have done, it and it is called iDatalink Maestro. I bought a Kenwood receiver for my Mazda and all of the OEM controls are still available on screen along with lots of more information not available in the standard radio. I checked their latest model and it will integrate into the ford explorers Ford SYNC system and you'll be able to retain voice-controlled features, steering wheel audio controls, and factory audio functions and add lots more to the package. you can check it out here: http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/ddx9902s/

In any event I cannot wait 6 months or more to purchase a new SUV so I am going to look elsewhere.

Trust me, the people working on the Explorer platform want MFT gone as fast if not faster than you do.

As SYNC3 is fully integrated into the vehicle's HVAC and multi media systems it had to be tested thoroughly with all the Explorer models.

The testing did not pass and as such it will not go into production until 2017.

I agree with you it should have been tested and approved while the 2015 was in production and ready to go for Job1 2016 refresh, but it didn't happen and we will wait till 2017.

It's only 6 months till you can order a 2017 in March, with production shortly thereafter.
Wow, that's disappointing. Everything I'm seeing about SYNC 3 says it's way better than MFT. Not really excited about waiting almost another year for such a seemingly simple (yet significant) upgrade.

Wow, that's disappointing. Everything I'm seeing about SYNC 3 says it's way better than MFT. Not really excited about waiting almost another year for such a seemingly simple (yet significant) upgrade.

Sync 3 is much easier and faster to do what you want it to do. The navigation still fights me some, but that may be me more than the system. One thing I notice is sometimes, it gives long advance notice of a turn coming up and other times, it doesn't prompt until almost too late if I'm in the wrong lane.

It is very poor design by Ford to control HVAC over SYNC, especially third row. I remember waiting for my new APIM for three weeks and I did not have controls working for third row, period. It should've been some override option in BCM if APIM is not operational then activate third row controls in the center console.

Thanks for all the info everyone. My wife and I have decided not to purchase a Platinum Explorer since SYNC 3 will not be included. It was fun while it lasted. :wavey:

We'll watch the XC90 Electronics

I've been eyeballing the new XC90 as well, but after spending some time on a Volvo forum, everyone is having electronic gremlins with this vehicle, mostly related to iPad'ish infotainment system. You might want to look into this before committing right now. I'm in the market to replace my 2006 Explorer with the new Explorer Platinum, XC90, MDX, and Honda Pilot. Outside of the MDX which hasn't changed much and seems pretty stable, it seems the XC90 and Pilot are having some chronic issues related to either infotainment and/or electronic "features". I'm taking a wait and see on all of these for a number of months to see if these issues sort themselves out via updates.

And someone else mentioned isn't the Volvo in a different price range, the answer is only if you choose an "Inscription" or "R-Design". If you take a base Momentum and just add on all the electronic helpers and leave out the upgraded audio system(the base system is quite good, I've test driven one), the air-bag suspension, and the upgrade interior..and lets face it, the base interior is pretty stunning... you end up at $55,445, but right now no Volvo dealer will move on the retail price. Explorer Platinum can typically be had for about $51K. So yes there is still a fair price difference but not crazy. I also suspect discounts on the Volvo's will come with time. All that said, the Explorer Platinum is more fully loaded than any of the luxury or near luxury brands for much less. I mean, if you want massaging seats most brands reserve that for their 80K vehicles if they have it at all. I'm babbling though. Good luck with the Volvo, it looks pretty sweet, but check out the forums though, you might want to be aware of common issues they are having and some of them are serious enough to cause buyer remorse right now.

R.

Thanks for the heads up. I will watch. If I may, I would like to make it perfectly clear that we are Ford fans. We own their in the bucket stock and have owned Fords for years. We really want to upgrade from limited to Platinum but we don't want to wait another six months for Sync3. Our primary objective is to retain the same cargo space as the Explorer. Until we discovered the 2016 XC90 we were pretty much stuck with the Explorer with or without MFT. Luckily, money is not a big issue, at least the difference between the Platinum and the XC90. What really grabbed us was all of the features, even at the base level. It doesn't have massaging seats, or even air conditioned seats but the electronics are just awesome. If they're having a bunch of issues with the 2016 model then maybe we'll hang on. That said if you read all of the blogs you can find a bunch of problems with any of the vehicles. For sure, we won't be buying a Ford with MFT. We've put up with it for five years and we'd be crazy to buy a brand new Ford that we had to live with for another five years poking at an MFT.

I know it's probably still a bit early but knowing what y'all know about Ford release cycles, when would y'all estimate that the Sync 3-equipped 2017 Explorers will start hitting the streets?

I know it's probably still a bit early but knowing what y'all know about Ford release cycles, when would y'all estimate that the Sync 3-equipped 2017 Explorers will start hitting the streets?

2017 Order bank likely opens in March 2016 with builds starting June/July approximently

Hi sgt1411. Will the 2017 explorer have sync 3 and do you know if the platinum 2017 will have more interior color options. Thank you.

We Give Up!

Thanks for the heads up. I will watch. If I may, I would like to make it perfectly clear that we are Ford fans. We own their in the bucket stock and have owned Fords for years. We really want to upgrade from limited to Platinum but we don't want to wait another six months for Sync3. Our primary objective is to retain the same cargo space as the Explorer. Until we discovered the 2016 XC90 we were pretty much stuck with the Explorer with or without MFT. Luckily, money is not a big issue, at least the difference between the Platinum and the XC90. What really grabbed us was all of the features, even at the base level. It doesn't have massaging seats, or even air conditioned seats but the electronics are just awesome. If they're having a bunch of issues with the 2016 model then maybe we'll hang on. That said if you read all of the blogs you can find a bunch of problems with any of the vehicles. For sure, we won't be buying a Ford with MFT. We've put up with it for five years and we'd be crazy to buy a brand new Ford that we had to live with for another five years poking at an MFT.

After agonizing study we have decided to stick with the 2016 Ford Platinum. Two primary reasons: the XC90 is fighting lots of electronic bugs and after spending some serious time with the iPhone 6 Plus, we decided we don't really need Sync 3 anyway. We would sure love to have all the latest safety features offered in the new XC90 but we'll take our chances. Without spending $65k we'll be getting the air seats, massage, BLIS and other goodies.

Sorry to have been such a crank. I'm still pissed about the timing of Sync 3 but it is what it is so I guess we'll live with it.

Come on Ford!:notworthy

Hi sgt1411. Will the 2017 explorer have sync 3 and do you know if the platinum 2017 will have more interior color options. Thank you.
I'll let Sgt1411 answer the colour options part, if he knows, but the 2017 Explorer will have Sync 3.

Peter

2017 Order bank likely opens in March 2016 with builds starting June/July approximently

Thanks for the info. Given the current Platinum availability (or lack thereof), I figure it will be December before they start hitting dealer lots in significant numbers, January before I'd be able to test drive one, and April before I'd be able to take delivery of one. If that's the case, I might as well just wait till March to place the order, get a 2017, and [hopefully] take delivery of it in the summer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back