Ford Extended Service Plans (ESP) | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Peter, I did not think about that. How can I go about having that refund done? It was a $1800 repair since it damaged my steering box.
That is a very good question. I think I'd start with the dealer who did the work originally and see what they have to say. Perhaps there is a member who has actually gone through this process who can help out.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As a purchaser of an extended warranty (not Ford) my experience was like Jekel and Hyde. I felt secure at first since I was covered for unexpected expenses on the car, however, when it came time to actually use the warranty I lost a lot of sleep due to the many ways the warranty co. tried to get out of paying for the repairs. On a "covered repair" the warranty co. paid $1500 of a $6000 bill! If you can live with that kind of uncertainty go ahead and buy the warranty. I would rather deal with the repair if/when it happens.

Purchase the Ford ESP and you will not have that type of experience....

Wish I had seen this thread before I bought mine. My dealer must have stuck it to me. Charged me $2,599 for a 7/100,000 mile warranty.

They can be cancelled and the refund amount is prorated. Then you could purchase from flood ford or another discounted vendor. Or approach dealer and see if they will refund you some. I also didn't find this until this year and will be taking advantage of it when my limited arrives from plant. I bought many esp at the higher dealership cost so I feel your pain. I don't mind my dealership making a little money but $1000 to $1500 more than the other vendors is too much.

On the diesel forum I belong to, there is a guy who just posted yesterday that the dealership gave him his ESP at dealer cost for the tune of $3,800. I sadly reported to him that dealer cost is $2,775...

You are not the only one that gets screwed over.. unfortunately this is not something that you can just google to find out the cost. You need to have a connection OR have Xray vision to see in the dealers pricing book.

They can be cancelled and the refund amount is prorated. Then you could purchase from flood ford or another discounted vendor. Or approach dealer and see if they will refund you some. I also didn't find this until this year and will be taking advantage of it when my limited arrives from plant. I bought many esp at the higher dealership cost so I feel your pain. I don't mind my dealership making a little money but $1000 to $1500 more than the other vendors is too much.

Prices usually go up October 1st.

Edit:
Sorry, I should say may change on October 1st. This is the annual timeline for a potential price change.

So I called my dealer usually go to and they gave me a quote of $1280 for coverage until June 2017 or 60,000 miles and $1495 for coverage until June 2018 or 75,000 miles. Wasn't sure if this was a good deal because I went onto the Ford owner site and the prices were comparable for 60000 mile but the dealer was about $250 less on the 75000 miles. The only catch is that with the dealer it has to be paid in full whereas the Ford site you set up a payment plan. So then I decided to look around on the web and found a bunch load of other dealers around the country offering significantly less on the same plans with more years. Now I'm confused. Can I trust the out of state dealers?

Yes you can - I bought mine from Ziegler Ford no prob.

If you buy it from a Ford dealer (and its the Ford plan) - then Ford needs to back it up.

So I called my dealer usually go to and they gave me a quote of $1280 for coverage until June 2017 or 60,000 miles and $1495 for coverage until June 2018 or 75,000 miles. Wasn't sure if this was a good deal because I went onto the Ford owner site and the prices were comparable for 60000 mile but the dealer was about $250 less on the 75000 miles. The only catch is that with the dealer it has to be paid in full whereas the Ford site you set up a payment plan. So then I decided to look around on the web and found a bunch load of other dealers around the country offering significantly less on the same plans with more years. Now I'm confused. Can I trust the out of state dealers?
If your factory warranty has run out then you will have to pay for a 'Used Car' ESP which is more expensive. You can only purchase the 'regular' ESP if your factory warranty is still in effect.

Peter

Peter, this is actually for my 2013 Edge that has 35,000 on it right now.

I ended up buying a warranty from Anderson Koch Ford in Minnesota for coverage until 2018 and 75000 miles with $0 deductible for $1225. I did get the lighting and enhanced rental for additional $135. I also had to pay it in full though. Here is their link if interested
http://andersonandkoch-ford-warranty.com/

I ended up buying a warranty from Anderson Koch Ford in Minnesota for coverage until 2018 and 75000 miles with $0 deductible for $1225. I did get the lighting and enhanced rental for additional $135. I also had to pay it in full though. Here is their link if interested
http://andersonandkoch-ford-warranty.com/

You don't have to pay it in full. Ford offers financing of 12, 18 and 24 months of equal payments after a 10% down payment and there is no interest on the term.

Although a $0 deductible is nice, considering the low mileage term you chose, I would have kept with the standard deductible of $100. It will take you 3 visits to break even and 4 visits to be ahead of the game for the price difference between the 2. I doubt you will be visiting the dealership 4 times within the 36-75,000 warranty extension and keep in mind that your engine/tranny is covered for 5yr/60k already.

You don't have to pay it in full. Ford offers financing of 12, 18 and 24 months of equal payments after a 10% down payment and there is no interest on the term.

Although a $0 deductible is nice, considering the low mileage term you chose, I would have kept with the standard deductible of $100. It will take you 3 visits to break even and 4 visits to be ahead of the game for the price difference between the 2. I doubt you will be visiting the dealership 4 times within the 36-75,000 warranty extension and keep in mind that your engine/tranny is covered for 5yr/60k already.

Same for the enhanced rental. JMHO

My Thoughts on "Extended Warranties"

I've had an EW and got reamed royally. Since then I have done some research and have found that if your expected cost to repair is not at least 4X to 5X the cost of the EW, it is not worth the cost! Good luck to all who purchase these "plans" and just remember the seller of these plans continues to stay in business!

I've had an EW and got reamed royally. Since then I have done some research and have found that if your expected cost to repair is not at least 4X to 5X the cost of the EW, it is not worth the cost! Good luck to all who purchase these "plans" and just remember the seller of these plans continues to stay in business!

4 to 5 times? How's that math work? I think ford would stay in business if they sold zero extended warranties.

If you break even with the cpast of the ESP, you are already ahead of the game because you get a rental car for free.

Don't know what you are talking about with the 4-5X the cost of it which makes no sense.

Here are some important facts about the ESP:

-The dealer cost for a FORD ESP is about 50% of the retail price.

-Purchase the ESP within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles to avoid paying an extra surcharge.

-Some dealers will try to sell you a non-Ford ESP, while claiming that it is just as good as Ford's ESP. This may be true but the dealer can make more commission on non-Ford ESPs.

-Always get the Ford PREMIUM ESP.

-Contact Joel Hawley at Two Rivers Ford for discounted pricing:

jhawley@tworiversford.com
(800) 900-1000, ext. 349

These sellers stay in business at low margin / high volume sales. Yes, they make their money, because it's a revolving door investment. Why would they not "stay in business"?

I got the 8-year 125k premium care (bumper to bumper) with 1st day rental included for $2,200 @ 0% from Lombard Ford. The mechanical things are not my biggest worry, it is the electronics. That is what can get costly very fast.

Add to that, the fact that if I ever sell it outright, it will be a HUGE selling point if it is still under warranty with high miles.

Peace of mind goes a long way. I have no idea where you get the 4x to 5x numbers.

As I was opening my third row seat yesterday in my 11 Explorer, which I have only used twice since getting the vehicle in 2014, I noticed one of the seats seams came apart and the leather seat cover is now coming off. Does anyone know if this is covered by my premium care ESP?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got leather cracking on the drivers seat and I was told it was NOT covered by ESP Premium Care, but I haven't dug further into it yet.

Back