Shift to Park Warning | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift to Park Warning

Just got ours back from the dealer installing a new shifter. Luckily ours was still under warranty. He said that they have had to replace a few so its a common known issue I would think. Something I did that helped was to spray some WD-40 in the chrome shifting actuator/lever (button you pull in to shift) and this actually fixed mine but being it was under warranty we replaced anyway, so this is something you could try. When it did this you could also flick/wiggle the actuator and get it the light to go off and go into neutral. Apparently the actuator is sticking which isn't allowing the system to know its actually shifted into park.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will give that a try, thanks.

We have a 2013 Explorer Limited and lately it is have giving us a "shift to park" error when it is in park. Sometimes restarting and stopping the engine will fix it, other times we have to just ignore it and leave it. On top of that the battery died for no reason last night. I'm getting really frustrated with this vehicle.

It has 50K miles on it so it is out of warranty.

The search function can be your best friend.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375462&highlight=shift+park

Also, our battery went bad right before our 36k warranty ran up. Saw no signs of it but a battery test was part of the works package for our oil change and it failed their test. So far, have not had any issues with 83k on the clock now.

Just got my 2011 Limited back for the same thing. I have the ESP warranty so it was fixed under warranty. They just replaced the top part for shifter.
According to job ticket it is TSB 15-0047

FullSizeRender.jpg

The fix, as others have stated, is to replace the shifter assembly. I have seen a post of someone doing it DIY, didn't sound too bad. When my car was doing this, I found that you could kind of "flick" the trigger button on the shifter and it would detect park correctly. The issue is in the electrical switch actuated by the trigger button.

Shift to Park caution.

I get a warning telling me to shift to park from time to time. The thing is that it IS in park. I'm sure it's some sort of a sensor. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

I get a warning telling me to shift to park from time to time. The thing is that it IS in park. I'm sure it's some sort of a sensor. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
As blwnsmoke posted, using the 'Search' feature is the first step before beginning a new thread. I have merged your thread with this one, the one he identified.
Also, please add the model of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin when you post. Thanks.

Peter

Shift to Park Issue

Hi guys,
I too have just started having this problem on my 2011 Ford Explorer Limited.
Did anyone get a good and cheap resolution.
Thanks.

The part is a little over $100 on the discount sites. Buy it and replace it yourself.

They haven't put out a TSB on this yet and are still making people out of warranty pay for it themselves??? That's BS. It's an obvious problem, not a recall safety problem, but it is a known issue...

They haven't put out a TSB on this yet and are still making people out of warranty pay for it themselves??? That's BS. It's an obvious problem, not a recall safety problem, but it is a known issue...

TSB 15-0047 SHIFT TO PARK OR TRANSMISSION NOT IN PARK MESSAGE – DISCHARGED BATTERY DUE TO SHIFT TO PARK LIGHT ON / UNABLE TO REMOVE IKT
Publication Date: March 31, 2015
FORD: 2011-2014 Edge
2011-2015 Explorer
2013-2015 Flex, Taurus
LINCOLN: 2011-2015 MKX
2013-2015 MKS, MKT
This article supersedes TSB 14-0209 to add a production fix date.

Issue

-2014 Edge, 2011-2015 MKX, Explorer and 2013-2015 Flex, MKS, Taurus vehicles built on or before 12/01/2014, and 2013-2015 MKT vehicles built on or before 03/16/2015 equipped with a floor shift selector lever may exhibit a Shift To Park message, Transmission Not In Park message displayed while the shifter is in park position, or unable to remove the integrated keyhead transmitter (IKT), or a discharged battery due to the Shift to Park light remaining illuminated.

Action

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Replace the selector lever assembly.
Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-05.
Adjust the selector lever cable. Follow the selector lever cable adjustment procedure in the WSM, Section 307-05.

How come people are still paying out of pocket then?

How come people are still paying out of pocket then?

Because a TSB is not a recall. TSB are subject to the regular bumper to bumper warranty or ESP coverage. A TSB is just something that Ford recognizes as a possible issue and to help a tech identify or diagnose an issue faster. If there is a known issue, they write up a TSB so a tech can search by the description before wasting time troubleshooting. Lays out step by step what to do and how to fix to aide in a faster repair.

At the bottom of every TSB:

"WARRANTY STATUS

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool."

The part is a little over $100 on the discount sites. Buy it and replace it yourself.
Bought PN CT4Z-7210-KC today (2013 Limited) from local dealer ... $150 including sales tax. Do you know if there are any detailed installation instructions available online? I'm not having any luck locating such. Thanks in advance!

Bought PN CT4Z-7210-KC today (2013 Limited) from local dealer ... $150 including sales tax. Do you know if there are any detailed installation instructions available online? I'm not having any luck locating such. Thanks in advance!

I haven't seen any but there is a member in this thread that did it him/herself. I believe the side panel just pops off exposing under the center console and would think you could figure it out once the side panel pops off.

May want to teach through the last 10 pages or so and PM the person who changed it out.

This issue has been popping up for me lately and could be why I recently had to replace my battery.

Finally Fixed!

Finally the dealer replaced the shifter last week which has resolved the issue entirely. This only after 4 service appointments for the issue. Because I had the ESP, and the car is out of warranty, I only had to pay $100 deductible to have it done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This issue has been popping up much more now that cold weather has arrived. Brought my Explorer in for another issue and brought this up as well, they had the shifter in stock and replaced it no questions asked. Just cost me the $100 deductible for both issues.

Back