Trans Slip turning left | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans Slip turning left

Ex0888

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 1996
Hi everyone,

First time posting, had a bit of an issue with my 96 explorer today. I went to take a relatively sharp left hand corner, not slow but not too fast either wasn't hooning around or anything, and I heard a sharp squealing noise, went to accelerate and the transmission had slipped out of gear. Grabbed gear again, so I tried it again with another left hand corner and the same thing happened.

Though it was a bit weird so I tried it whilst turning right, and it was fine no noise and no slipping. Though even whilst driving on really long left hand corners it makes the sharp squealing noise but if it is a sharp corner and I have a bit of speed going in the trans will slip.

I checked the oil, it's fine, I really don't know what to look for and have found nothing related to this. If anyone can suggest anything that would be helpful.

Thanks guys.

Sounds like engine/transmission mounts. Try raising the hood and watch while some one gooses the throttle while foot on the brake, engine should torque more that it should if mounts are shot.
Otherwise, you can crawl under the car with a long bar and work the engine/transmission mounts up and down for excess play.
A least that's what I would do. Good luck

Sounds like engine/transmission mounts. Try raising the hood and watch while some one gooses the throttle while foot on the brake, engine should torque more that it should if mounts are shot.
Otherwise, you can crawl under the car with a long bar and work the engine/transmission mounts up and down for excess play.
A least that's what I would do. Good luck

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to give this a go a bit later when I have someone come past. Will let you know how it goes, thanks mate.

Back