• Register Today It's free!

33's on a 4.0 explorer

Swamprabbit

Reaction score
City, State
Forrest City, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0. 30,000 miles on the 4.0. What is your take on 33's. My Jeep Grand Cherokee pulled a set of 33's with acceptable loses with no gear change. Not as much loose in the area's as I thought it would. This is my first explorer. Currently has 265/75 16's on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't see it being a drama. I just put a set of 285/70/17's (which is equivalent to a 33.5 roughly) on my 03 4.6L and don't notice any difference what so ever

Depends on what gear ratio you have. My 265/70/17s made my explorer slow as hell but it wasn't fast to begin with.

im way overdue for a diff upgrade but i havent had too many problems turning my 34x11.50 tires with my 4.0 and 3.55 gears

I ran 285/65/17's on my girl an apart from dropping 60 miles a tank, had no dramas :D

She was a 2004 4.0.

Edit:She had a 2.5"catback an k&n drop in an airbox mod.....an a Jimmy Henson tune but she'd bake the 285's easy :D

Stock diffs too

Thanks guys. Bought it like it is. Time for new tires. Plus I don't like the spacers on it. I've read on here that I can run a 8 inch wide rim with 4 inch BS and do away with the spacers. Stock wheels.
Will check and see what the gear ratio is.
I also want to run a programmer on it at some point.

Checked it today. Mine has 3.73 gears.

Same as mine mate, you'll be right!

Checked it today. Mine has 3.73 gears.

It'll be slower and the biggest difference is it won't hold od on hills much. Gas mileage will be the biggest hit- maybe 2 mpg less. Mine went down about 1 mpg when I upgraded to a smaller tire than your running but it was unchanged/better on a flat highway road. hills kill these combinations though. Guess that's why we have 5 gears!

It'll be slower and the biggest difference is it won't hold od on hills much. Gas mileage will be the biggest hit- maybe 2 mpg less. Mine went down about 1 mpg when I upgraded to a smaller tire than your running but it was unchanged/better on a flat highway road. hills kill these combinations though. Guess that's why we have 5 gears!

Thanks my friend.

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0. 30,000 miles on the 4.0. What is your take on 33's. My Jeep Grand Cherokee pulled a set of 33's with acceptable loses with no gear change. Not as much loose in the area's as I thought it would. This is my first explorer. Currently has 265/75 16's on it.
Just got the gears from Yukon Gear and Axle (1-888-905-5044) two weeks ago, went with the 4.10's, call them up and they set up exactly what is needed, right now my 04 ex is riding on 32 General grabbers AT2's (31.75") , I used a gear calculator to get the proper gear to tire ratio so I wouldn't give up any torq or hp. http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/truck-gear-calculations/

I also did a load of work on the motor, add on mods, exhaust, some timing tweaking, Charlotte04EX is pushing close to 300hp. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=499

If you have any questions shoot me a message or text 732.500.5671.

many more mods to come,

Michael

DON"T FEAR THE GEAR,,

GO with the 4:56 for a real 33 inch tire,,

4:30 is the ratio you really need , but they don't make them for the front,,

just for the 8.8 Rears,,,

Back