Like the stock low beams but not the high beams | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Like the stock low beams but not the high beams

How well do you like your 3rd Gen. headlights and foglights

• I like the low beams

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I like the high beams

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • I like the foglights

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I don't like the low beams

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I don't like the high beams

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I don't like the foglights

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tankentaisha

Reaction score
City, State
Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I like the stock low beams on my 2002 Explorer and think they're the best I've ever had, not to mention the fog lights too, but the high beams are nothing but bright flood with no additional throw over the low beams and I'd like to find out what options I have for adding throw for the high beams alone.

If the best option is a mod then I'm interested and if it requires changing the whole headlight assemblies I'm interested.

When I go to high I want to see further down the road than the low beams already accomplish but with so much spread to the high beam pattern all the additional light just gets wasted in the trees.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think all three function as they're supposed to. What you want is a set of 'driving lights.' These will focus the beam out in front of you, but not illuminate the sides like the high beams do.

I have to say I prefer the high beams over the low. But I live in very rural area, and have hit deer before, so I like having the tree line lit to watch for the eventual emergency that will definitely present itself again.

I too live in a rural area -- I hate my low beams, I can easily overdrive them. I bought the vehicle used with about 26k miles on it, no body damage or repairs done. I don't think they are out of factory specs, but I'm slowly raising them until people start complaining. Then maybe my high beams will be too high. aaarrrgghhh

It's funny how we're all describing the same headlights and yet taking away a different view of them!

I'm very rural too and have moose on regular basis to worry about, but the low beams on mine give better throw than any vehicle I've ever had.

My high beams on the other hand offer less additive distance to the low beams of any vehicle I've ever had and I don't get much better moose-notification than I'm already getting from my combination low+fog setting.

Makes me wonder if there were any variations in reflectors during manufacture from different vendors or if it's just our differing preferences??

Your best bet is retrofit them and add hids, also install a pair of led pod lights in the high beam housing, you could also put a light bar in the lower part of the bumper, those things throw a stupid amount of light and you will be able to see everything ahead of you! :)

Should have said I don't like bling and am a stock appearance fan.

If there's a retrofit that would still look stock but give better throw on the high beams it would definitely be on my radar.

Your best bet is retrofit them and add hids, also install a pair of led pod lights in the high beam housing, you could also put a light bar in the lower part of the bumper, those things throw a stupid amount of light and you will be able to see everything ahead of you! :)

Those LED light bars put out a lot of light (not sure what direction.) I'm half tempted to run the next guy off the road that has them on, coming at me. :roll: Worse than those idiots that drive with high beams on and don't dim them with oncoming traffic.

I simply swapped my high beam bulbs for 55 watt 4300K HID's. They light up the dark farm roads like a football stadium.

Also put Philips 9012 HIR's in the low beams.

those retro fit hid lights aren't legal actually. And they are very dangerous. They are not made to spec, have no filtering, and a whole list of things wrong with them.. Be cautious using them..

those retro fit hid lights aren't legal actually. And they are very dangerous. They are not made to spec, have no filtering, and a whole list of things wrong with them.. Be cautious using them..

Actually since I am using them for only high beams they are perfectly legal. There is no limit on how bright high beams can be because you are required by law to turn them off when there is approaching traffic. I've passed many local and state cops hiding 20 feet off the side of the dark road with them.

I specifically put legal Philips 9012 Halogen in the low beams to keep them legal.

Haha! What dingle berry told you that, I've retrofitted tons of headlights and have not had one come back to me or someone complain they got in trouble, putting a hid in a projector is the legal way, now if they are in a housing with no optics then that's a different story, last time I checked my projectors throw perfect light, check out my post buddy.

Should have said I don't like bling and am a stock appearance fan.

If there's a retrofit that would still look stock but give better throw on the high beams it would definitely be on my radar.

Totally understand, I've had a customer just want a plain retrofit p
(He wanted as close of a stock look as possible), no halos, leds or paint, looks pretty good, almost stock, it was a 2003 sport trac. If you are ever intrested just pm me, I can totally make you a set for the right price. :D check out the ones I made for my 2004 it's in the "modified" section under "2004 explorer retrofit"

Actually, HIDs in a regular composite housing (ie no modification) are illegal. Headlights are made to be DOT approved, and have to follow this law. As soon as you change the bulb to a different type other than what was "factory", that housing is no longer DOT approved/compliant. Also, right on the box of an HID bulb kit, is says for off road use only.

Now I'm not saying that someone is out there writing tickets for these things (although they should - they are dangerous to on-coming traffic as they blind people), but that doesn't make it right either.

Actually, HIDs in a regular composite housing (ie no modification) are illegal. Headlights are made to be DOT approved, and have to follow this law. As soon as you change the bulb to a different type other than what was "factory", that housing is no longer DOT approved/compliant. Also, right on the box of an HID bulb kit, is says for off road use only.

Now I'm not saying that someone is out there writing tickets for these things (although they should - they are dangerous to on-coming traffic as they blind people), but that doesn't make it right either.

I'll assume you're replying to someone else...

High beams have no cut off and blind people no matter what bulb is in them, that is why it is illegal to not turn them off for oncoming traffic.

Let me try to be as clear as possible.

If your headlights have separate low beam and high beams like our generation of explorers do there is no reason not to install a HID bulb in the high beam, just do not install one in the low beam.

If your headlights use a combo bulb for low/high DO NOT install a HID bulb. Something like Philips Night Guide Platinum are going to be the best you can do with that.

Now I can't speak for other states but here in Texas the law is you can not have more than 4 lights over 300 candlepower on at the same time on public roads. Our 3rd gen explorers hit this limit with the high beams on because they do not turn the low beams off. But say you have a 4th gen with the single combo bulb, you could add two auxiliary high beams.

If I had not put HID's in my stock high beams I probably would have put two 130 watt halogen spotlights the bumper to turn on instead of my stock high beams.

The biggest reason NOT to install HIDs in place of regular halogen bulbs is that they are for off road use only. Every box I have ever picked up says right on it, for off road use only.
They are not DOT approved.
Your Headlights no longer are DOT approved when anything but the specified bulb is used (H11, 9006, 9005, and on...)

Doesnt matter high beams or not. Plain and simple, your headlights are only DOT approved when the specified bulb (ie DOT approved bulb) is used.

That is what makes them illegal. Exactly like an aftermarket x-pipe with no cats, it says right on the box, FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY. This is so they can sell it, and not get sued when someone gets a ticket for it, because it is not approved.

Last I checked, this was an automotive standard across the board, in North America, all headlights must be DOT approved.

Not going for a fight here, just informing that you COULD get a ticket for it (or be pulled off the road for a safety inspection), if the cop decided to be a #####.

I like the stock low beams on my 2002 Explorer and think they're the best I've ever had, not to mention the fog lights too, but the high beams are nothing but bright flood with no additional throw over the low beams and I'd like to find out what options I have for adding throw for the high beams alone.

If the best option is a mod then I'm interested and if it requires changing the whole headlight assemblies I'm interested.

When I go to high I want to see further down the road than the low beams already accomplish but with so much spread to the high beam pattern all the additional light just gets wasted in the trees.

I have an actual project for you try.

A:

Get the harness connector from a Mountaineer and cut out the Explorer connector and splice in the Mountaineer connector. Then get the dual element bulb for the Mountaineer and install it in place of your low beam. This way you have the throw of the Low Beam that you like, just much brighter.

A: Optional:

You could also wire it up so that you could have all 6 elements going at the same time. The Low Beams, the High Beams of the dual element bulb, and the stock high beams too.. This would be 55W + 60W + 60W = 175W in each Lens Housing. That would really light up your view!
B:

Take Mountaineer Lens Housings and install them into your Explorer along with the Mountaineer harness connector. They use a single, dual element bulb with a large reflector.

A:

Get the harness connector from a Mountaineer and cut out the Explorer connector and splice in the Mountaineer connector. Then get the dual element bulb for the Mountaineer and install it in place of your low beam. This way you have the throw of the Low Beam that you like, just much brighter.

A: Optional:

You could also wire it up so that you could have all 6 elements going at the same time. The Low Beams, the High Beams of the dual element bulb, and the stock high beams too.. This would be 55W + 60W + 60W = 175W in each Lens Housing. That would really light up your view!
B:

Take Mountaineer Lens Housings and install them into your Explorer along with the Mountaineer harness connector. They use a single, dual element bulb with a large reflector.

I don't think dual filament bulbs are designed to handle the heat of running both filaments at the same time.

Tomorrow I will look in my Wiring Book and confirm the Mountaineer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A:

B:
I like these two ideas the most and just need to figure out which way to go with it.

Ideally I'll keep the original fixtures and have two high beam bulbs going at once which sounds perfect.

Back