Sync 3 | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3

Ford sync service sign-up wants my cell number. Have any signees been sent advertising texts or gotten advertising calls from Ford Motors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford sync service sign-up wants my cell number. Have any signees been sent advertising texts or gotten advertising calls from Ford Motors?
Not sure why they require this unless it has to do with the release of Sync 3 in 2017 for the Explorer. Not sure of all the Sync 3 features and whether or not a cell number may be part of what the service uses for some features.
Please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it appears in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

No they will not call you. It has something to do with linking your account to your vehicle.

I have 2 accounts, no they don't share your number. The number is linked to your account so that you can use SYNC Services. This is assuming you are in the US.

Now I went and did it. I successfully upgraded my software to the latest, then promptly reformatted my USB before reporting the update to Ford. The web site expected to have uploaded an .xml file that tells the site what I did.

Can I just as easily call or chat with Ford and tell them to just set the record straight on their end?

Now I went and did it. I successfully upgraded my software to the latest, then promptly reformatted my USB before reporting the update to Ford. The web site expected to have uploaded an .xml file that tells the site what I did.

Can I just as easily call or chat with Ford and tell them to just set the record straight on their end?
Phoning won't help. Sent you a PM.

Peter

Chat said to run another VHR and that it should convey to Ford what's needed to update my record.

Thanks for the immediate feedback.

Software having been updated, what are the tangible benefits we're supposed to see? Is there an instruction page somewhere that lays it out for users to try?

I got a few links that lays it out.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...s-free-to-legacy-vehicles-with-sync-38-update

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...lay-integration-with-sync-infotainment-system
The first link is actually about the update we have now and not actually about Sync 3. It would be better listed under the existing thread about 3.8.

There are several article on Sync 3 that can easily be found using an Internet search. Nothing as far as I know about being able to give it a 'test' run.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/first-touch-we-sample-fords-sync-3-interface-and-it-doesnt-suck/
http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/?gnav=footer-aboutford

Peter

Software having been updated, what are the tangible benefits we're supposed to see? Is there an instruction page somewhere that lays it out for users to try?

I got a few links that lays it out.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...s-free-to-legacy-vehicles-with-sync-38-update

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...lay-integration-with-sync-infotainment-system

Changes from your previous version would only be the SIRI eyes free and reconnection improvements. Others with older models will get changes that came with v3.7.

Please understand that you have SYNC 2(MFT) not SYNC 3. Your second link is referring to SYNC 3, the first is MFT.

Changes from your previous version would only be the SIRI eyes free and reconnection improvements. Others with older models will get changes that came with v3.7.

Please understand that you have SYNC 2(MFT) not SYNC 3. Your second link is referring to SYNC 3, the first is MFT.

Also, SYNC 3 will not work on Explorers running SYNC 2 (MFT). The hardware is different, which makes it a bummer for those of us driving with SYNC 2.

I wonder when SYNC 2 updates will stop? I hope Ford does not orphan customers like myself who just bought 2016 Explorers.

Also, SYNC 3 will not work on Explorers running SYNC 2 (MFT). The hardware is different, which makes it a bummer for those of us driving with SYNC 2.

SYNC 3 will work on all vehicles starting 2011 model year (which came out with MFT) because it is designed as direct replacement for MFT, just easy swap, but you have to buy new SYNC 3 APIM and reconfigure the vehicle using IDS and this is a bummer because dealer wont do it and some tech is needed to configure vehicle variables properly. Perhaps, there will be configuration tables available on motorcraft web-site and it will make that task easier.

SYNC 3 will work on all vehicles starting 2011 model year (which came out with MFT) because it is designed as direct replacement for MFT, just easy swap, but you have to buy new SYNC 3 APIM and reconfigure the vehicle using IDS and this is a bummer because dealer wont do it and some tech is needed to configure vehicle variables properly. Perhaps, there will be configuration tables available on motorcraft web-site and it will make that task easier.

This will very likely become something car stereo shops will be able to do soon. There is big profit potential here.
Many things a dealer won't do such as the Lock Pick device that allows all functions including DVD while the vehicle is in motion is easy to have done.

This will very likely become something car stereo shops will be able to do soon. There is big profit potential here.
Many things a dealer won't do such as the Lock Pick device that allows all functions including DVD while the vehicle is in motion is easy to have done.
The problem is that I don't think you can't just simply buy a Sync 3 APIM. You will have to wait until some start showing up in wrecker's yards.

Peter

I would sure hope so. There are several companies (like MVI) that do something similar for GM owners looking to upgrade their infotainment system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easy swap? I'll believe it when I see it. If it turns out that way I'll be very interested. Like I said in my previous post, it's not backward compatible with the existing SYNC 2 MFT system and will require quite a bit of work to make it so. It won't be a simple plug and play retrofit of new hardware replacing old. Like Tremor2014 said, a new cottage industry may spawn to convert vehicles to SYNC 3, and it won't be cheap.

Back