5.0 tuning

carlover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fontana,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XL
Is there anyone on the forum still who does ecu tuning? I know Henson did back in the day but cant find any info on him anymore. I need a 91 octane tune and PATS disabled for a project vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hensonperformance on facebook.

He's alive and well. You can contact him via email.
He probably won't be quick to respond right now as he's in the middle of a big project spending long hours in the shop.

Yes, James is moving on to other things.
James performed a service at a very, very reasonable rate. I think its going to be very difficult to find a replacement.

I'm having issues finding anyone local to do this.

The simple tune you describe can be done by anyone remotely if you have the SCT device. I never visited James and he made all sorts of changes to my programming. You might contact SCT and ask for a shop near you.

http://www.sctflash.com/#3

We are going to miss James.

You might contact SCT and ask for a shop near you.

http://www.sctflash.com/#3

We are going to miss James.

[MENTION=61294]vroomzoomboom[/MENTION] tried calling SCT with absolutely no success. It would seem that as soon as you mention 'Explorer' everyone runs scared.

[MENTION=61294]vroomzoomboom[/MENTION] tried calling SCT with absolutely no success. It would seem that as soon as you mention 'Explorer' everyone runs scared.

Calling SCT was useless. They told me to do a google search because they don't have a record who does remote tuning, and yes, I did call a few places and as soon as I said explorer they told me no. The only place so far that said they will do a remote tune (well on my truck at least which I'm sure isn't easy) was brooks speed http://www.brooksspeed.com/. I do t know anything about them (if they are good or bad or how fast they are) so I don't know what to expect

[MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION], i had called Lasota, and i cant remember if he said he cant do my truck because of the mods, or if it was because it was a explorer. i have also emailed vmp and havent heard from them.
i wished i could remember which place i called but one of them also recommended blue oval chips https://www.blueovalchips.com/ but i havent got a hold of them yet

James emailed me that he really wants to do some remote tuning on the side. Right now is a very bad time for him as he's busy finishing up projects before closure of his shop and focusing on his new endeavor.
He felt he should be ready to take on some tuning in about 6 weeks. Once things have settled he can decide if he has the time and desire to continue remote tuning.

James

James emailed me that he really wants to do some remote tuning on the side. Right now is a very bad time for him as he's busy finishing up projects before closure of his shop and focusing on his new endeavor.
He felt he should be ready to take on some tuning in about 6 weeks. Once things have settled he can decide if he has the time and desire to continue remote tuning.

That would be great if he could still do remote tuning. He has been an asset to the explorer community and it would be a shame to lose his expertise totally.

I am surprised that other tuners would say no to tuning just because it is an Explorer.

I am looking for a tune as well. He is my #1 choice. He has done 1 tune for me already but I am doing a mild build over the winter. I am hoping he will be available to do a tune for me by next spring.

that's chicken **** that that won't tune it because its an explorer

give me a shout and i'll take care of you

five oh four six oh six oh five three two

Tuner

Hey this guy "decipha" knows his stuff, we are lucky to have him stop in.

Welcome to the Explorer forums!

thanks for the welcome 4point

I've been a member just hadn't frequented the forum in quite a while, seems like I came back at the right time

sucks that yall were having such bad luck finding a tuner, tuning an explorer is no different than any other ecu or engine, I don't know why they would run scared

Tuning Explorers

I think that some of the other tuners are more interested in tuning the newer PCM's since that is the mainstream stuff now (at least in the world of reflashing PCM's).

I am fortunate enough to do my own tuning and can see how an Explorer is not much different than a Mustang of the same year.

I use the SCT AdvantageIII and Live Link Gen2. They work, are user friendly to a point, but there are still some down sides to reflashing instead of chipping.

Some of the guys here already have 400.00 invested in X3's or X4's, so it might be a leap for them to switch to a Moates/Chip set up. Any chances you might look into becoming an SCT dealer/tuner?

How is the resolution in the datalogs from the Moates 1/4 horse?
The SCT datalogs I have been using are not that great, I have been hitting rev limiter(6250rpm) and the datalog was showing 5900 at the highest point. I had to look at the wide band going crazy and fuel source changing to see it happening. The torque source PID doesn't even work for my PCM. Got to love it. lol.

Considering the quarterhorse is cheaper to purchase than even just the SCT pro racer package I'd say its a great option. It also sounds like its logging is super fast from what I have read. This and making changes on the fly seems pretty awesome.

Two things slowing me down are that my strategy REAC is not currently supported. This might not be a big deal as I 'think' another supported strategy could be used that starts life as a Ford 5.0 with a 4r70w trans.

The other issue is the battery needing replacing every few years. Can any one confirm just how frequently it should be replaced?

The quarterhorse does seem to be a fantastic way to go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back