List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

My 2016 has a few small bubbles in the front area of the hood, and the few 16s I have seen have the same thing. Obviously Ford has a serious issue on how their hoods are done and do not care about correcting it at the factory level.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MY 2015 Explorer has several raised bubbles on leading edge of hood, I am keeping my eye on them to see if they get larger or break open and I have marked the existing ones so I will notice if new ones start up. My question is; I was under the impression that Ford has resolved this problem, if so when did they do it? and why is there a post with someone with a 2016 with hood bubble problems. Has anyone got a new hood and painted and the bubble come back? This problem needs to go away, 6 years is absurd.

Hello Ford Fam,

Let me look into this further. Please PM your VIN and the mileage. I’ll check my resources on this end! :)

I’m here to document product feedback as well. Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, product feedback, and best daytime phone number. I’ll make sure it’s noted!

By searching the forum, you will see this is a more common issue (the corrosion/paint) and i would engage the Ford Customer Service team on here.

BTW - sorry for your loss.
cwescapexlt4x4,

Thanks for the mention, and enjoy the rest of your day! :thumbsup:

Tricia

Hi Tricia, just pm'ed you about another hood corrosion problem on a 2013 ex :(
Taking it to the dealer in tampa tomorrow, so we will see how it goes.

Hi Tricia, just pm'ed you about another hood corrosion problem on a 2013 ex :(
Taking it to the dealer in tampa tomorrow, so we will see how it goes.

I see it, Kfoss1! Thanks! :) Tricia's out today, so I'm jumping in.

My 2016 limited finally arrived at my dealer from plant this weekend so I stopped by today to look at it before going in tomorrow to sign paperwork. While at dealership which was closed I noticed several spots/lines on the back right quarter panel that had the appearance of a water running down but with a black outline. There were about 3 spots and they did not wipe off when I ran my finger across them. Rest of car looked great but I don't know if something acidic dripped on car during transport or if this is a paint defect. Hopefully if it was like this at plant they would have caught it. I text my salesperson who said they would look at it tomorrow.
Looking for advise if dealer says it needs to be repainted. Seen some horror stories on here about people with similar issues having it repainted. No other vehicles in our color (caribou) with same opitions in a 500 mile radius so not an option to go with another vehicle. I'll know tomorrow but I am preparing myself for worst. Any advise from other that have had similar situation would be appreciated. Thanks.

Congrats on your new ride, stevesmith1328!

Any updates from your dealer visit? We try to check vehicles carefully at the assembly plant and the
dealership, and we usually correct any damage to paint, sheet metal, upholstery, or other appearance items. But occasionally something may slip past us, and a customer may find that a vehicle was damaged before he or she took delivery. If you see any damage when you receive your vehicle, notify your dealership within one week.

Meagan

Thanks Meagan :) I'll post up what they say today.

Ok, just got back from the dealer and it was the same routine as everybody else. They said I was about 2 months out of warranty which I knew, and I explained, thats when everybody starts to notice the corrosion. Anyway they took pictures and will submit them and see what can be done. We also found in the hinge area of the rear hatch, the sealant was cracking and lifting which if not repaired will eventually let water in causing more problems :eek: So thats another area to check out. Of course this is out of warranty too. They said check back by the end of the week to see what kind of "Deal" I can get on all these manufacturer defects.
Meagan I'll pm you the name and # of the people I talked with.

Ok, just got back from the dealer and it was the same routine as everybody else. They said I was about 6 months out of warranty which I knew, and I explained, thats when everybody starts to notice the corrosion. Anyway they took pictures and will submit them and see what can be done. We also found in the hinge area of the rear hatch, the sealant was cracking and lifting which if not repaired will eventually let water in causing more problems :eek: So thats another area to check out. Of course this is out of warranty too. They said check back by the end of the week to see what kind of "Deal" I can get on all these manufacturer defects.
Meagan I'll pm you the name and # of the people I talked with.

Got it! I've replied. :)

Meagan

Well my visit to pick up my new explorer went about like the rest of special ordering a vehicle from ford, horrible!! Got to the dealership and saw that the spot I referenced in my prior post still remained even though the dealer said they were going to buff it out and it was only oil. Upon an inspection of the vehicle I found multiple factory paint defects which consisted of one pea sized dent on drivers door under the handle, 5 places on the back right drivers door and panels above back right tire that look like the paint ran down which is under the clear coat, one paint bubble on the back right passenger door, one paint bubble on back drivers side passenger door, a paint bubble on drivers door, 4 paint bubbles on the hood. And a large scratch on front of hood under the clear coat. The dealer had an on property body shop tech look over car with my wife and I and mark all the issues that we saw. I told them I wouldn't even entertain signing a contract on the vehicle even though they stated they were going to send it out to their body shop to be fully repaired.
Here comes the issue. This is the only limited in that color (caribou) and opitions in a 500 mile radius. Even taking a few opitions away is the same deal. I have a $750 loyalty coupon that expires on 10/31. I inquired about the coupon being extended to see what vehicle looks like when it comes back. They said the coupon was fords deal but that they would try and make it up to me but unless I signed a contract before the coupon expired it couldn't be used. It's not that $750 makes a huge difference but you would figure it's fords fault this issue occurred and that they would make certain allowances due to the situation. I told them we would look at the car after all the issues were repaired and then decide but it doesn't sit well when you buy a brand new car that almost every exterior door and panel has has to have work done on it. How does this even leave the plant in this condition?? The manager said they were in a tough spot because they received the vehicle already into their inventory and didn't refuse it as the damaged wasn't noticed as if should have been.
In an ideal world they would call ford and expedite the manufacture of another vehicle for us but we all know that's not going to happen. I don't agree with anyone having issues even if they are small and realize things happen as this thread details but this is a vehicle that should have never left the plant in this condition. This vehicle sat at the plant for over a month not being shipped and then when it arrives we are in this situation. If my wife didn't love the color and it wasn't the only one around I would walk away now. Take it from me look these new explorers over good. Going to sleep on it tonight and decide tommorow if we are going to walk away or look at it after it is repaired.

Well my visit to pick up my new explorer went about like the rest of special ordering a vehicle from ford, horrible!! Got to the dealership and saw that the spot I referenced in my prior post still remained even though the dealer said they were going to buff it out and it was only oil. Upon an inspection of the vehicle I found multiple factory paint defects which consisted of one pea sized dent on drivers door under the handle, 5 places on the back right drivers door and panels above back right tire that look like the paint ran down which is under the clear coat, one paint bubble on the back right passenger door, one paint bubble on back drivers side passenger door, a paint bubble on drivers door, 4 paint bubbles on the hood. And a large scratch on front of hood under the clear coat. The dealer had an on property body shop tech look over car with my wife and I and mark all the issues that we saw. I told them I wouldn't even entertain signing a contract on the vehicle even though they stated they were going to send it out to their body shop to be fully repaired.
Here comes the issue. This is the only limited in that color (caribou) and opitions in a 500 mile radius. Even taking a few opitions away is the same deal. I have a $750 loyalty coupon that expires on 10/31. I inquired about the coupon being extended to see what vehicle looks like when it comes back. They said the coupon was fords deal but that they would try and make it up to me but unless I signed a contract before the coupon expired it couldn't be used. It's not that $750 makes a huge difference but you would figure it's fords fault this issue occurred and that they would make certain allowances due to the situation. I told them we would look at the car after all the issues were repaired and then decide but it doesn't sit well when you buy a brand new car that almost every exterior door and panel has has to have work done on it. How does this even leave the plant in this condition?? The manager said they were in a tough spot because they received the vehicle already into their inventory and didn't refuse it as the damaged wasn't noticed as if should have been.
In an ideal world they would call ford and expedite the manufacture of another vehicle for us but we all know that's not going to happen. I don't agree with anyone having issues even if they are small and realize things happen as this thread details but this is a vehicle that should have never left the plant in this condition. This vehicle sat at the plant for over a month not being shipped and then when it arrives we are in this situation. If my wife didn't love the color and it wasn't the only one around I would walk away now. Take it from me look these new explorers over good. Going to sleep on it tonight and decide tommorow if we are going to walk away or look at it after it is repaired.

I'd walk away. IMO, there is too much of a chance the repairs won't be durable. If your wife is insistent on that color I'd consider accepting it as is with a significant sweetening of the deal.

I'd walk away as well.. No way I'd accept a "fixed" vehicle with that many paint/body defects. Alignment issues are one thing but when it comes to working with the paint.. no way.

Yes they should have spotted all of this upon delivery... that is the dealers fault in that regard. Many things happen during transit from checkpoint to checkpoint.. rail yard to transport truck etc. I'd be willing to bet the dent(s) happened during transport and not at the factory.

There is no reason your dealer couldn't contact the zone rep and have your vehicle rebuilt as a Priority 1. You'll get it built within a week or so and get it in a couple more weeks. All my vehicles are built as a Priority 1 and I get them in about 3 weeks.

I don't think Ford will extend the coupon however if you place a new order before 10/31, they can lock in your rebates which means the $750 will be locked in even after it expires. The dealer can lock them in through one of their programs on the computer. $750 despite it not breaking the bank is $750... that's 15 a month less in a payment... that is a big deal to me.

How about a $60k truck backed into a $75k truck for transport and drove like this for 7 hours to the dealer??

IMG_20140807_092621_502_zps2ppjjymr.jpg

IMG_20140807_095434_834_zpsvmh0rber.jpg

Best of luck!!

Blwnsmoke,

Thanks for the post. I have only been on the board a short time but it appears you have been around for a while and have a lot of ford knosledge. When I talked to general manager at dealership yesterday they stated they should have caught it as well but indicated that since it was already in inventory it took the ability to order again out of the picture. If they order it on priority 1 does that notify the plant that it is a remake so it is inspected closer? The original order priority was 22. I am worried that maybe there is a issue with this paint since it is a newer caribou color than the prior years. The General manager told me when the plant started shipping trucks in the color they got one that everytime you put a rag to it that there were swirl patterns and that the factory did sometime to color after that. I just don't wanna wait another month and end up in same situation. The dealer was already giving me a good deal on the car ($1250 under invoice) to match another located dealership before all this and it is a dealer I have bought from 4 times before so I am trying to balance my frustration with the situation and come to a resolution. However as you said I am having trouble stomaching the idea of buying an extensively repaired car. I just wish they would have said right off the bat that they would priority order another one. I would rather pay invoice and have it "brand new" then get the current deal I have with them. They also offered me many things like the protection plan for free but the issue still remains that it will be a repaired vehicle. I have an email into the sales zone manager who's information I located on internet to see what they have to say. The photos you posted make me even more concerned.

Are we still seeing hood paint bubbles on:

2014's??
2015's???
2016's????

Thanks.

Yes, posts 383, 384 and 392 are new vehicles.:roll:

Wow! That's terrible. My 2011 Limited had the bubbles. Complained to the dealership while in warranty, nothing done. Then I was way out of warranty, and complained again, only louder. Thankfully it was finally repainted with the help of our Ford Customer Service people here, it was maybe Crystal. Was very happy with the repaint. In fact, the repainted hood was more durable for stone chips and such vs the factory paint. Did over 80,000 miles with the repainted hood and not a mark on it.

After all these years (over 5), Ford has still not resolved this at the factory level. That's disappointing. Especially when a dealership paint shop can do the fix after the fact. Let's do it right the first time, every time, Ford.

Yep! keep a close eye on that 16. Lift the hood and pull the rubber seal down so you can see the seam behind the lip and catch the corrosion early. 3 yrs. max on the warranty repair. :thumbsup:

Stevesmith, I would run away from that vehicle as fast as you can. No body shop can make it back as good as factory fresh. If that dealer won't get you another one to your specs go to another dealer.

On another note... My dealer is wanting me to bring mine in and leave it with them so they can get pictures sent in to Ford for approval to send it over to their body shop.... Not happy with the body shop option. They should replace the hood... Any Ford service people on here that can help me with getting the hood replaced instead of repaired? This is looking like it will be my last ford product. The quality is just not there with the explorer.

Okay just got off the phone with the customer service rep for Florida and they proposed the 50/50 deal which includes the repair of the rear hatch hinge area sealant cracking and lifting and the hood repair. My part will be $700, which is less than half the quote I got yesterday. So I guess I'll schedule it and get it done. :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2013 explorer sports here. 58,000 miles +/- bubbles!!!

Back