Sync 3 | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3

Hey Sharin, thanks for your response. We actually planned on not opting for the navigation anyway, so I suppose thats not very important to us. We just felt that our phones are more than adequate in providing navigation. So I thank you for reinforcing that for us.

About the hands free, my question is more about the future of technologies like Bluetooth. If a new technology replaces it as the standard by which our phones pair with other devices, will MFT become useless? Same with newer cellular technologies like 5g, etc. I have no idea if these things are even real concerns, and I know that a loss in some functionality is inevitable, but in a handful of years, I'll be pretty upset if the only thing that my infotainment system can do is turn on my heated seats. I suppose this will be true of everything eventually, but does Sync 3 significantly future-proof me more than MFT?

I don't think we can worry about the technology. It will be a long time before the hardware becomes unusable and Ford will likely keep their software up to date in solar as basic system is concerned. I don't think the will ever be able to walk away from the millions of users.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all,

I know that there is no right answer to this question, but I was hoping to get some advice from those of you with the experience and expertise.

I'm in the market for a new vehicle for my wife and she's decided on an Explorer. We love everything about it, except we are worried about Sync MFT, having heard all the horror stories. The thing we're wondering is whether we should buy a '16 or wait until next year.

I've read a lot about Sync 3, and although it'd be great to have the additional features, we're wondering whether it is truly worth waiting for. My main concern for my wife is safety, and she currently adores her hands free calling - but with the advances in phone technology, will she lose this ability in future years? Are there any other future technologies that will make MFT unusable down the road? We plan to own this car for a long time, and don't want to lose all usability while we still own the vehicle if all we had to do is wait until this spring to place the order rather than right now.

Like I said, I know that there's no answer to this, but for those of you with MFT, or those with a lot of knowledge on the subject, should we wait given our concerns?

Since you indicate you plan on keeping the vehicle a long time, I would wait for Sync 3. I bought a 16 Expedition Platinum and it has Sync 3. It so much more user friendly than MFT (particularly the nav) I'm glad I canceled the Explorer Platinum.

But the other issue is finances. The vehicle we will be replacing is more than 10 years old, and it will probably need around $1000, plus maybe new tires, to make it through the winter. The car is only worth a few thousand anyway, so I'd maybe be taking a little bit of a hit if I were to wait until next year. At that point, I guess Sync 3 has a bit steeper price tag.

If you wait for the 2017, that's 6 months without a payment. So you're probably still well ahead, even with the 2017 price increase. And your new vehicle will have one less Michigan winter on it.

If you wait for the 2017, that's 6 months without a payment. So you're probably still well ahead, even with the 2017 price increase. And your new vehicle will have one less Michigan winter on it.

Thank you all for your opinions. We have decided to wait a few months until we can order a 2017. Just like you said, since it's later in the model year, we only have to wait a few more months - and we'll get Sync 3 instead of being stuck with a vehicle we would potentially dislike due to MFT.

So I was digging around, and it looks like for this model year, you could begin ordering in March, and delivery was around June. Is that likely the timeline for next year as well?

Wow, if only Explorer could get the Sync 3 now!

Thank you all for your opinions. We have decided to wait a few months until we can order a 2017. Just like you said, since it's later in the model year, we only have to wait a few more months - and we'll get Sync 3 instead of being stuck with a vehicle we would potentially dislike due to MFT.

So I was digging around, and it looks like for this model year, you could begin ordering in March, and delivery was around June. Is that likely the timeline for next year as well?

Looks like you made the right decision. Here's a review of sync 3 from Cnet that appeared yesterday.

http://www.cnet.com/videos/fords-sync-3-shows-lightning-quick-layout/
:)

See SYNC3 is just like MFT when it first came out. It will take forever and many updates for it to become what everyone wants it to be, if that even ever happens. That's why I wouldn't would base a vehicle purchase on having SYNC3 versus SYNC2.

Ford will promise it will do this and that but until it happens don't bank on it.

"[Sync 3] doesn't allow you to browse your phone's music library on the screen." Really??? :(

When connected via Bluetooth. When "hard wired" it does allow browsing. At least that's what I remember.

When connected via Bluetooth. When "hard wired" it does allow browsing. At least that's what I remember.

Oh, ok. As long as it pulls your songs and playlists when connected by USB.

MFT was co-developed with Microsoft and came to market in 2011 and promised to revolutionize auto infotainment. However it was met with tones of complaints and finger pointing between MS and Ford. Ford worked with Microsoft to release several software updates but negative feedback remained overwhelming. Towards the end of 2014 Ford announced it was dumping the MFT in ALL of its vehicles and replacing it with the new Sync 3 system made by QNX which also makes infotainment systems for BMW, Audi, and GM. The new system provides an all-new “multi touch” touchscreen and a new user interface that incorporates a voice recognition system that really works well. The new system also provides the ability to provide an in-vehicle Wi-Fi network and the ability to use the I-phone auto and apps with Siri Eyes Free, as well as Google auto and apps for android users. SO as you can see it IS a huge improvement.

This is misinformation. MFT was not developed at all by Microsoft when it came to Market. MFT was a user interface written on top of Microsoft's AutoPC (Windows Auto) OS. MFT is flash mobile based, and developed mostly by a company called BSQUARE. I believe MS came in and consulted or developed for the performance upgrade (3.0?) when Ford had so many negative reviews of vehicles due to MFT. The windows auto platform is awesome, MFT is not a result of a bad product by Microsoft.

Fords managing director Pim van der Jagt at the Mobile World Congress stated that original Sync 1 and 2 development was done with Microsofts base system... However, Ford did not like the original Microsoft auto pc interface and outsourced the interface GUI development to a company called BSQUARE Corp. BSQUARE is made up of ex-Microsoft employees, and was contracted to create MyFordTouch graphical (GUI) components of the Ford's infotainment/hvac system on top of the MICROSOFT AUTO BASE SYSTEM... and yes, all of them both point fingers at each other as the cause of all the problems. That is why the SYNC 1 and 2 is dead and will not receive much love in the future.

Fords managing director Pim van der Jagt at the Mobile World Congress stated that original Sync 1 and 2 development was done with Microsofts base system... However, Ford did not like the original Microsoft auto pc interface and outsourced the interface GUI development to a company called BSQUARE Corp. BSQUARE is made up of ex-Microsoft employees, and was contracted to create MyFordTouch graphical (GUI) components of the Ford's infotainment/hvac system on top of the MICROSOFT AUTO BASE SYSTEM... and yes, all of them both point fingers at each other as the cause of all the problems. That is why the SYNC 1 and 2 is dead and will not receive much love in the future.

Yup! I had an original Clarion Auto PC with the windows mobile OS. It was awesome, and being an MS developer it was even more awesome because I could write apps for it. I'm still very angry App Link never made it to MFT as promised in 2010

How that app would connect to vehicle if it sits at an airport parking lot with no internet?

Vehicle would have a cell module in it with a service contract, much like the current remote start solution from Ford.

Anyone go to the Connected Car portion of the LA Auto Show?

Supposed to be all the new next generation in vehicle multimedia systems on display.

Yes Sync3 is really good.... only problem I have is that it is not coming until the 2017 explorer and I need a new car now, so ford and Lincoln have lost my business. I wont buy the 2016 suv with the old sync 2 system. I am going to the car show and am leaning to the Volvo or the Bmw at this point. I have heard some good things about the tech package on the kia as well so I will also check that out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

George the new 16 Edge Sport is gorgeous, especially with the optional 21" flat black wheels. Only complaint is you cant get the Edge SPORT in Magnetic, that colour option only available in the other models.

SYNC3 is in the 16 Edge already as well.

When I used SYNC3 I expected a Graphic User Interface (GUI) that was impressive, given the issues with MFT I perhaps expected too much.

As you can see from promo materials it's a very basic GUI.

Performance wise its fine, and in no way has the issues MFT had in its infancy. Its ready for public consumption I'm just disappointed that to have stability they had to dumb it down so much.

Im not a Dodge fan but I use their U Connect system often at work and out of the gate the functionality with that system is so much better. The GUI is intuitive and much more fluid.

I guess Im just over optimistic for the next gen Ford systems given the last few years of frustration. While MFT works well now, the guys on here who started in 2011 will agree it was a long journey.

Everyone has a different level of technology expectation when they use these systems, mine is perhaps a little more demanding. Others may have a totally different expectation.

After I saw Apple CarPlay in person Im not as concerned now because I will be using that almost 100% if, and when it's available.

Only 3 months till order banks open for 17 Explorer!

Back