Like the stock low beams but not the high beams | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Like the stock low beams but not the high beams

How well do you like your 3rd Gen. headlights and foglights

• I like the low beams

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I like the high beams

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • I like the foglights

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I don't like the low beams

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I don't like the high beams

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I don't like the foglights

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Not sure plan B will work, wouldn't you have to swap a mountaineer front end on the explorer so that the lights will fit, cause the explorer and mounty ones are way different.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hood, fenders, bumper and header panel would all have to be swapped.

The factory low beams and high beams on my 04 are by far the best lights of any vehicle I've had. The driving/fog lights also work terrific. I thought about HID's but they just aren't needed. The entire highway is light up just as it is.

The best headlights I have used are the ones in our 2007 Suburban. Great throw for the low beam and awesome on the high! While our explorers just make everything brighter from the low beams, the highs in the chevy throw MUCH further.

Try test driving a chevy with these headlights to see what I mean. I think that the bigger the lens you have to reflect the light the more effective and more efficient they are. (not our suburban in pic)
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/GM-Chevrolet-Tahoe-Headlight-Bulbs-Replacement-Guide/GM-Chevrolet-Tahoe-Headlight-Bulbs-Replacement-Guide-001.JPG
vrolet-Tahoe-Headlight-Bulbs-Replacement-Guide-001.jpg

I didn't know they still made Chevy?

Bob T

The best headlights I have used are the ones in our 2007 Suburban. Great throw for the low beam and awesome on the high! While our explorers just make everything brighter from the low beams, the highs in the chevy throw MUCH further.
Yeah, further is what I'm wanting from the high beams!

Haven't spent any time on it yet but I'm going to take a look at the above suggestion to put a 9007? in the low beam position so that I'll get both high and low out of the low beam reflector. Maybe I'll go look through some of the junk cars we've got tonight and see if I can find the high/low connectors.

Try test driving a chevy with these headlights to see what I mean. I think that the bigger the lens you have to reflect the light the more effective and more efficient they are. (not our suburban in pic)
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/GM-Chevrolet-Tahoe-Headlight-Bulbs-Replacement-Guide/GM-Chevrolet-Tahoe-Headlight-Bulbs-Replacement-Guide-001.JPG
vrolet-Tahoe-Headlight-Bulbs-Replacement-Guide-001.jpg

My brother has a 2009 chevy tahoe and they are ok but are not drastically better, I've retrofitted my one coworkers toyota sequoia with the Fx-r 3.0 d2s projector and nothing can come close, the amount of light it throws at low beam is ridiculous, then when the high beams are turned on and the bixenon feature turns on, the projector throws out 100% light, by far the brightest headlights I've ever seen in person, so bright a picture or video can't do justice!

Yeah, further is what I'm wanting from the high beams!

Haven't spent any time on it yet but I'm going to take a look at the above suggestion to put a 9007? in the low beam position so that I'll get both high and low out of the low beam reflector. Maybe I'll go look through some of the junk cars we've got tonight and see if I can find the high/low connectors.

If less flood and more spot is what you're looking for what you need is a different 9005 type bulb in the high beam. You need to find a alternate that will bring the bulb filament further back towards the lens. You can see this demonstrated with focus-able flashlights. Bulb goes back more spot, bulb goes forward more flood.

If less flood and more spot is what you're looking for what you need is a different 9005 type bulb in the high beam. You need to find a alternate that will bring the bulb filament further back towards the lens. You can see this demonstrated with focus-able flashlights. Bulb goes back more spot, bulb goes forward more flood.
This is exactly the kind of response I've been waiting for!

Can you make a suggestion as to which company/model would do that for me?

This is exactly the kind of response I've been waiting for!

Can you make a suggestion as to which company/model would do that for me?

Never come across anything like this other than with LED bulbs. Some have a adjustable focus where you can slide them in and out.

I would look into a way to make a spacer to bring the proper 9005 bulb further back.

Just got a 2004 Explorer and drove to work this morning. At 5am, in the country, while driving in the drizzle, it was very dark. HATE the low beams. My motorcycle's 1 headlight lows does better than that. I don't think I have ever had a car with such weak (or maybe low pointing?) low beams. I don't have fogs, so get no help there.

The Hi's are great though - push out front and to the sides so when there is no oncoming traffic (most of the time), I'm all set.

Just got a 2004 Explorer and drove to work this morning. At 5am, in the country, while driving in the drizzle, it was very dark. HATE the low beams. My motorcycle's 1 headlight lows does better than that. I don't think I have ever had a car with such weak (or maybe low pointing?) low beams. I don't have fogs, so get no help there.

The Hi's are great though - push out front and to the sides so when there is no oncoming traffic (most of the time), I'm all set.

Odd, I like my low beams but I have Philips 9012's in them.
Check their aim or have it checked...
Also be sure there is no oxidation on the lens blocking your light. If so, get Mothers NuLens Headlight Renewal Kit Mothers NuLens Headlight Renewal Kit - Walmart.com

Your high beams sound like mine but with your low beams I'm suspecting a problem somewhere because mine are better than I've ever had and with stock halogen bulbs.

The fog lights are very worthwhile picking up from a wrecking yard. Last night it was snowing hard enough for a while that I was having problems seeing the road until I killed the headlights and ran just with the fog lights.

I've found the regular low beams to go out more than down.

Depending on the road material, whether or not it's wet and the road surroundings (ie flat and open, or with trees etc close to the road) you either have great visibility or sometimes think the lights are off.

I've found the regular low beams to go out more than down.

Depending on the road material, whether or not it's wet and the road surroundings (ie flat and open, or with trees etc close to the road) you either have great visibility or sometimes think the lights are off.

Maybe that is it. The road was wet and it was misty/rainy with trees right on top of the road. I did wonder if the lights were off or the bulbs were out (but knew that wasn't the case).

I'll check for oxidation of the lens this weekend and maybe check to see what kind of bulb is in there. Finding a level place around here to check out the aim is a challenge though ;)

To aim the headlights you park about 10 ft from a wall and aim them so that the top of the low beam light output is level with like the hood or the headlights

Maybe that is it. The road was wet and it was misty/rainy with trees right on top of the road. I did wonder if the lights were off or the bulbs were out (but knew that wasn't the case).

I'll check for oxidation of the lens this weekend and maybe check to see what kind of bulb is in there. Finding a level place around here to check out the aim is a challenge though ;)

Mine were horrible when I got my Exp. I found the old bulbs to be probably 5+ years old, no wonder they looked like candles. That combined with oxidation.

BTW, if anyone comes across this thread in the future with bad oxidation, rather than do all the sanding and buffing, new fixtures at quite affordable at RockAuto.

Back