How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

Yes, the replacement bulbs are SMD194 wedge bulbs. In the front dome lights I used bulbs with 9 individual LED lights on it and in the rear I used the shorter ones with only 5.

As for the removal of the 3rd row/ 2nd row without sunroof, you can pry a flathead screw driver under the side that doesn't have the "light on/off" button. It will simply pop out. However getting to the bulb is a whole different story. I havent figured out how yet.

http://www.daytimebrightlites.com/LED_Dome_Lights.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kudos to DriveBright and Dan along with this thread for assistance. So far I have swapped out to LED on the puddle lamps, license plate and now, interior. I am sending my rear dome light to Dan @ DriveBright for them to do the conversion, and I will be all set. I could not be happier with the interior LED's - they give you a new look at this fine vehicle's interior that you never get to see at night. The rear cargo light actually serves a purpose now. Mostly, I like that the mod still looks "stock", almost how the car should have came, matching the LED head/tail/running lights.

Note: Some have stated that the LED map lights have been too bright for them. While they are MUCH brighter than your conventional map lights, the cool light of the LED makes it comfortable and will be very easy to get used to.

I will post pics once the dome light is complete. Dan said they usually turn it around in a day.

I've done with interior LED swap, looks great and much nicer than before. I would say totally different look. I installed canbus error free LED's everywhere just to avoid potential problems of awkward light behavior. They are not so much more expensive anyway.
I have panoramic moon roof so had to deal with third row dome light only.

Anyone have a link to the puddle light replacement write up? where the cutting is required? I tried scouring the thread but didnt find it.

Anyone have a link to the puddle light replacement write up? where the cutting is required? I tried scouring the thread but didnt find it.
Not sure there is one. There is one on replacing the mirror itself.

Peter

So I have the opposite problem. I have kids who want to use the lights while driving at night. Has anyone swapped the 2nd row lights for a different color? We put blue lights in our F-150 and it helped a bunch. I Also have an infant on the 40 seat of the 40/60 bench, and would love to turn her side of the light off so when the doors open she isn't blinded and woken up every time. Any suggestions? Right now the only thing I can think of is to essentially tape off half of the 2nd row pod light so the light on her side doesn't shine on her.

So I have the opposite problem. I have kids who want to use the lights while driving at night. Has anyone swapped the 2nd row lights for a different color? We put blue lights in our F-150 and it helped a bunch. I Also have an infant on the 40 seat of the 40/60 bench, and would love to turn her side of the light off so when the doors open she isn't blinded and woken up every time. Any suggestions? Right now the only thing I can think of is to essentially tape off half of the 2nd row pod light so the light on her side doesn't shine on her.
Members have changed bulbs to LED but I don't recall anyone changing bulb colours. As for the interior lights coming on with the opening of the door, this has been an issue since day 1 of the 5th gen Explorer. Every other vehicle I've had gave the option to turn the light off under any condition. The Explorer, for some unknown reason, does not.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317684&highlight=interior+lights

Peter

I've replaced my 2nd row lights for powerful white LEDs and had the same problem - my daughter always fall asleep in her baby seat. Every time anyone opened a door, she woke up from the light hitting her in the face. So I bought a LED dimmer for these two lights and reduced the brightness to a minimum (you can adjust the brightness as you like and have different settings on either side). But only when opening the doors, when light button is pushed its full LED glory :)

Bought mine from Diode Dynamics, but there should be similar products all over Internet.

I've replaced my 2nd row lights for powerful white LEDs and had the same problem - my daughter always fall asleep in her baby seat. Every time anyone opened a door, she woke up from the light hitting her in the face. So I bought a LED dimmer for these two lights and reduced the brightness to a minimum (you can adjust the brightness as you like and have different settings on either side). But only when opening the doors, when light button is pushed its full LED glory :)

Bought mine from Diode Dynamics, but there should be similar products all over Internet.

This is precisely the type of solution I was hoping someone had come up with, and that I was stumped on. Thank you!

Look on page 13, post 256. I consolidated all the write-ups into one post including the puddle lights. Its super easy!

Members have changed bulbs to LED but I don't recall anyone changing bulb colours. As for the interior lights coming on with the opening of the door, this has been an issue since day 1 of the 5th gen Explorer. Every other vehicle I've had gave the option to turn the light off under any condition. The Explorer, for some unknown reason, does not.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317684&highlight=interior+lights

Peter

There is a "dark car" feature than can be enabled by the dealer that will keep all the lights from coming on at all when the door is opened.

Anyone have any experience with the Sylvania "ZEVO" LED bulbs? I think they make the 194/168 which should fit. QC should be a million times better then these little things we buy from various sites. Only downside is I think they are rather pricey.

Anyone use them here?

Anyone have any experience with the Sylvania "ZEVO" LED bulbs? I think they make the 194/168 which should fit. QC should be a million times better then these little things we buy from various sites. Only downside is I think they are rather pricey.

Anyone use them here?
Just a quick FYI. A 'Search' in this thread shows your post as the only one with the word "ZEVO" in it. That doesn't mean someone hasn't used them, they just haven't posted. Curious to find out myself for future reference.

EDIT: Expanded my search and found this thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404754&highlight=ZEVO
Peter

Thanks for the search, I always forget you can search inside each thread. Hopefully some people chime in with reviews.

Few questions, its tough with so many LEDS out there and cheapo ones.....

Anyone have insight on whether you still need the radio shack resistors in the interior if the bulbs are "canbus error free"?? Also will these canbus-error free bulbs work in the turn signals and prevent the hyper flashing?

Thanks!

Few questions, its tough with so many LEDS out there and cheapo ones.....

Anyone have insight on whether you still need the radio shack resistors in the interior if the bulbs are "canbus error free"?? Also will these canbus-error free bulbs work in the turn signals and prevent the hyper flashing?

Thanks!
Theoretically canbus error free LED should do its job and no resistors shold be needed but practically if you chose to buy cheapo staff from ebay/amazon you never know, the only way to find out is to test drive them in real life. I doubt though canbus error free are good for turn signal due to heating issues, better way to go with resistors and mount them on vehicle body for better heat dissipation.

Zevo LEDs are BRIGHT!

So I picked up a pair of Sylvania ZEVO (194) for my map lights. These have the new style led chip in them and WOW are they bright! It's just a single led bulb, and I don't see that I would want anything brighter than this.

WalMart sells them for $9, and Autozone sells them for $12 in case you looking. A little pricy, but you pay for convenience of in-stock bulbs... They are the white 6000K style, with NO blueish tint.

Too bad they didn't have any 168 styles in stock...now I'm searching for those for the 2nd row...

So I picked up a pair of Sylvania ZEVO (194) for my map lights. These have the new style led chip in them and WOW are they bright! It's just a single led bulb, and I don't see that I would want anything brighter than this.

WalMart sells them for $9, and Autozone sells them for $12 in case you looking. A little pricy, but you pay for convenience of in-stock bulbs... They are the white 6000K style, with NO blueish tint.

Too bad they didn't have any 168 styles in stock...now I'm searching for those for the 2nd row...

UPDATE: So I just realized that it says "For Offroad Use Only" on the back of the package. WTF?! They sell these at WalMart and Autozone, and they aren't street legal?!

I had bought four more at WalMart. Two for 2nd row (moon roof) and two for the exterior license plate. I'm happy with the interior, but not with the license plate.

The light brackets on my 2013 Limited both "point to the right"...instead of having the bulbs both face inward towards the license plate. It leaves a dark spot on the right side of the tag. I tried to turn the right side around, but there was not enough slack in the wire. Does everyone's license plate lighting point this way?!? Maybe I'll just add some Foil to redirect it back some...or buy a LED that has Side LEDs.

My OCD does not like the light pattern...what's wrong with me? ;-)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I changed my interior to all LED and am having issues with the rear light, I have the dual pane sunroofs. My rear light stays on all the time while driving. I added a 1K OHM resistor but it still stays on. Any suggestions....

Back