cwescapexlt4x4

Explorin' the Desert SW
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Litchfield Park, AZ area...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 King Ranch 4wd 3.0T
So yesterday we pulled the trigger and sold the 13 XLT and got a 16 Limited.

16 Limited FWD in Magnetic with the 301A, LED fogs, Towing package, Wheel locks, 20" Polished aluminum wheels, Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Warning with Brake Support, 2nd Row Bucket Seats (need center console)

12227133_10153772804767700_262189352596164506_n-M.jpg

12187780_10153772806977700_7068501550858026660_n-M.jpg

20151116_053428-M.jpg

20151116_054010-M.jpg

Goodbye, short time but the good purchase deal helped in the upgrade.
20150509_192707-M.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So yesterday we pulled the trigger and sold the 13 XLT and got a 16 Limited.

16 Limited FWD in Magnetic with the 301A, LED fogs, Towing package, Wheel locks, 20" Polished aluminum wheels, Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Warning with Brake Support, 2nd Row Bucket Seats (need center console)
Very nice. Now all that is left is to update your profile and signature.;)
Happy motoring. :):thumbsup:

Peter

Nice!
hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoy our 16

So far so good, I do miss the "Ford turn signal" stalk as they went back to the "conventional" style for 16.

I sure he means that the stalk stays in either the up or down position until the turn has been completed. I can't stand the current (pre 2016) turn signal stalk operation.

Peter

I sure he means that the stalk stays in either the up or down position until the turn has been completed. I can't stand the current (pre 2016) turn signal stalk operation.

Peter

You are right!! Had to run outside and check. Never even noticed that. LOL

Peter

Yep and I loved that design (IMHO)

I just went from a '11 Acadia to a 16 XLT , the GMC was a great vehicle but I don't like the new look they came out with. Hopefully the Explorer is as good a vehicle, I do like the features and styling. Did a audio upgrade already use to a better quality system as I had the upgraded system in my Acadia and C7 'Vette and the XLT premium system didn't cut it. Put some info on the Audio upgrade thread on what I did. I did get some rattles fixed already , seems like the moonroof design is prone to rattles. The roof liner is held on with magnetics and seems to flex a bit. I had to put some strategically placed foam in between the roof and the liner to stop the rattles. So far so good.

How did you like your '13, assuming you were happy with it given you bought a '16. Interested to hear any issues you might have had with the '13.

How did you like your '13, assuming you were happy with it given you bought a '16. Interested to hear any issues you might have had with the '13.

Really nothing that isn't "normal" for the Explorers and yes, certainly enough that the WIFE pushed to trade UP and spend more $$ ... hard to resist!

I do wish the 16 (was also removed from the 15's apparently) is that the climate was still available with the wheel controls (like the other ones that remain) if for no other reason than i can't stand the mis-matched colors around the speedometer. :eek: This one seem faster (isn't 4wd this time), more firm suspension, better seats (other than the normal up grade from XLT) and the headlights! WOW! I had upgraded my XLT with HID's and was a great improvement, but these LED's are GREAT!
20151117_054906-M.jpg

** This is headlights and fogs - both OEM LED **

Yesterday I changed over the plate lights, reverse lights, the front/rear turn signals all to LED (thou, the flasher sound is fast/hyper, but the actual lamps are normal... guess I can live with that) . next up, center console purchase/install, have front door re-tinted (dealer had already done, but way too light for my tastes) and change over the interior lights to LED. Otherwise, it's been a great update.

The automatic parking is something I will test soon, can't see that I would use it myself other than "playing/testing" it, along with the lane keep assist (thou could be handy on long/tired drives).

Thanks !

I agree about the headlights, get people signalling me as they were on bright but the aren't. I did switch out the map lights in the front and rear seats already to LED.

Thanks for the pics! I love the LED fog lights!

Thanks !

I agree about the headlights, get people signalling me as they were on bright but the aren't. I did switch out the map lights in the front and rear seats already to LED.
Are you driving with the fog lights on as well when some motorists signal you? If so, that might be the reason.

Peter

Really nothing that isn't "normal" for the Explorers and yes, certainly enough that the WIFE pushed to trade UP and spend more $$ ... hard to resist!

I do wish the 16 (was also removed from the 15's apparently) is that the climate was still available with the wheel controls (like the other ones that remain) if for no other reason than i can't stand the mis-matched colors around the speedometer. :eek: This one seem faster (isn't 4wd this time), more firm suspension, better seats (other than the normal up grade from XLT) and the headlights! WOW! I had upgraded my XLT with HID's and was a great improvement, but these LED's are GREAT!
20151117_054906-M.jpg

** This is headlights and fogs - both OEM LED **

Yesterday I changed over the plate lights, reverse lights, the front/rear turn signals all to LED (thou, the flasher sound is fast/hyper, but the actual lamps are normal... guess I can live with that) . next up, center console purchase/install, have front door re-tinted (dealer had already done, but way too light for my tastes) and change over the interior lights to LED. Otherwise, it's been a great update.

The automatic parking is something I will test soon, can't see that I would use it myself other than "playing/testing" it, along with the lane keep assist (thou could be handy on long/tired drives).

Regarding climate --> http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436661

Some have asked about the bulbs - bulbs are the same (front/rear/reverse/plate) as the 11-15 and in my post for my previous 13 you can see the info:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425500

As to highs, haven't gotten there yet but agree I don't like the mis-match and really they don't add a lot to the existing lighting with the LED's

Thanks !

What LED bulbs did you use? Where did you get them? I was surprised to see they are still old school and yellow.

What LED bulbs did you use? Where did you get them? I was surprised to see they are still old school and yellow.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I'm guessing that Ford is still using those bulbs to keep the interior from being lit up too much, especially at night. It takes a while for your eyes to adjust to the dark exterior. Only a guess.
BTW, it would be helpful if you added the 'trim level' of your Ex (Base, XLT etc) to your profile so it appears in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Amazon, here is a link...

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Bright-Lights-Bulb-Cool-White/dp/B00OT2O1X2

I swapped out the map lights in the center front and the 2nd row lights at the sides in the 2nd row. Left the little light in the third row, I believe that is a small LED already but to me it didn't matter, no one sits back there. You can also use these bulbs if you want to switch out the license plate lighting. Here is how you get at the lights...

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Ford-Explorer-Map-Light-Bulbs-Replacement-Guide/

The second row lights have a screw holding the plastic insert in hidden up under the hook, fold it back and it exposes that screw, then you can pry the piece out, twist the light and it pulls out sideways , insert the new one in.

Back