4th Gen Auto 5R55 to Manual M5OD - progress (not a How-to) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th Gen Auto 5R55 to Manual M5OD - progress (not a How-to)

I think this is what I need.... (1998-2001 Ford Explorer AWD Transfer Case)

(note the "brown wire" and the other clutch wire for AWD)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-99-00-01...ash=item23561272f7:g:xvMAAOSwjVVVwFi6&vxp=mtr
27133Tcase17B.jpg

I SURE HOPE THE OVERALL DIMENSIONS OF THIS IS THE SAME!!! I just got custom made axle shafts front AND back. Flanges and transmission mount looks the same.

Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi StreetRod. Thanks for chiming in. Seen lots of your posts on here... you are a wealth of good info!

I've got the 4.0L (using the stock computer system on the 2006 Explorer XLT... had the 5R55W Auto prev). I now have the M5OD-R1HD installed and I'm about to purchase the AWD t-case from a 2000. I would like to keep my Ranger one... but I cant figure out how to get the 4X4 button working... only utilizing 2 settings right now.

Any tips would be great.

edit.
I think SCT proRacer can shut that off too... not sure though. I'll probably have Don Lasota help me out with it as I have lots of tuning I want to do when done with this.

Find item

. . . I think SCT proRacer can shut that off too... not sure though. . .

SCT Advantage III is what I'm using. Try using the "Find Item" function at the top of the display by typing in "Trans Auto Switch".

4WD control moduel?

Are you trying to use the 2006 Explorer 4WD control module with the 2003 Ranger transfer case assembly? If so, I don't see a magnetic clutch on the 2003 wiring diagrams. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with 4WD since my Sport is only RWD. The 2000 Explorer wiring diagrams show a magnetic clutch that allows shifting from 2H to 4H at any vehicle speed and from 4H to 4L when the vehicle is stopped and the clutch pedal position switch is closed for M/T. On a 2000 it looks like the GEM outputs control the electric shift control module. I suggest spending some time to understand the wiring and functions of the various components before purchasing another transfer case.

Ok look into the BW 4405 that was the one I had on my 97 explorer it had the clutch pack style t case the reason is that the explorer is part tie 4wd by slight Amos through the clutch that's what auto is now 4wdhi just sends full amps to the coil to lock it in 4wd and 4 low is the only time the motor turn that's why you need to be in neutral. I woul look into seeing if that t case will work or some other t case that was offered with the manual do you have the r 1 or r2 manual ? I'm trying to do some research for you but like I said you were going to run into 4wd issues wish I was wrong though!

Tom

Ps looks good I'm jealous lol

Thanks for the tips!

I came to the same conclusion as you after doing some review of the wiring diagrams. The 2006 is very similar to the 99-01 in terms of the transfer case. I still have to do some research ... but I believe it has similar positioning and clutch operation. The control is a bit different but the transfer cases operate the same way. I think it might give me 2hi, 4x4, and 4lo instead of awd, 4x4, and 4lo (what I had).

Doing more research is a good suggestion... I really probably need to talk to someone who knows lots about the transfer cases before I go forward.

Another option is to add in the manual transfer case but you would need a difrent tail housing then the one you have if you have a pic of the transmission with the tail housing please show me I'm 90% sure the bw4405 will work I actually have one laying around to check lol I rember the 5r55e extent ion housing was round on inside so the t case would slide in. I read that the splines are the same the only think that's diffeent is the connector and I gave you a pin out on the other thread of the 97 which is the same for 97-01 the difference between 97 was it had the hole for a speedo gear sensor boy was that rare to find cause 97 was the only year t case very hard to find that's why I have a 99 laying around cause someone had wrong one in my old 97. I wish you luck but this one is a pain you either have to use a ranger module or the bw4405 I'm just worried if it will bolt up to your m5od r1hd it looks like it will only way to find out is to get it and try it and then your 4wd will work just like the 06 one did

Tom

I was just talking to a guy down my street that had one too! It was a pretty good deal and I passed it up cause I figured I could make it work.. dang... that rare tcase woudl have been sweet.

decisions decisions. I will wait and think about it. I have something else to try with my ranger one still. If I can get it to operate like the ranger... I actually prefer that... 2hi, 4x4, and 4lo. Not sure if it will work though.

... still trying to figure out what I'm getting for operation. no action from 4x4 button. Just the 4x4lo button drops it to low gear... BUT I think it's going into 4x4 too. So I'm thinking it might be going from 2hi to 4x4lo. I do hear the shift motor run for several seconds. Longer than usual for my old ranger. I think it's moving the full distance (across 4 positions). Since the pcm is waiting for a postion signal to "stop"... the wiring of the 5 position pins is critical. ... just typing "aloud" and getting some ideas going. I may be way off....

...I'll sleep on it for a few days. Just HAPPY to be driving a stick in 2HI right now!!! :D

My ranger tcase is: 2HI - 4HI - N - 4LO.
The 06 native was: A4WD - 4HI - 4L

"edit": The native one had a clutch... am I correct to think that the clutch engages 4wd on the fly when the vehicle senses "slip" in A4WD... and when the button is pressed for "4HI"? If so... does the t-case shift motor (in the native 06 explorer) physically move "3" positions or just "2"? This is VERY VERY important.

You might need a new tail housing with the bw4405

http://m.ebay.com/itm/FORD-RANGER-M5R1-4X4-TRANSMISSION-TAIL-HOUSING-89-98-/151821557923?nav=SEARCH

The way the 06 explorer works is auto just lets the computer engage the coil in the t case when it sees slip the 4hi is just by passing the computer and constant feed to the clutch the 4lo is when the motor turns and turns all the way engaging 4lo

The one you have now has 2lo and then motor moves to 4hi then to 4 lo if you want that 2wd sence disabling the computer all you need to do is put a relay in between the coil wire and that will give you control over the clutch disabling the computer to activate 4auto!

Going to bed now but you look like your doing tons better than before!
Tom

Thanks Tom. You're amazing.

I'm going to bed now too. Will dive into things again after I sleep on it. Always get good ideas in my sleep :)

Ps. I'll look into the manual option a bit more. It would be awesome if I could make this work somehow.

Pss. Forgot to mention I have the ranger buttons and controls for 4x4 on my bench. I stripped it all including the wiring harnesses when i salvaged that truck in case of a "plan B". Lol

Hi Tom. I'm guessing your manual transfer case has the u joint yoke for the front axle right? I guess I would have to get a new front drive shaft.... also .. my console is already a bit cramped.... introducing another floor shifter might not be ideal. I do prefer manual. .. but I think I would have to forfeit my centre console.

Decisions. Decisions. Lol.

Yes the manual one uses the double u joint style compared to the round one like on the awd t cases so you would need that plus you would need a diffeent tail housing for the linkage to attach to for your transmission I don't think it will take up too much more room but yeah I can imagine crammed lol

Tom

Thanks for confirming. I found 2 in the local classifieds nearby.... my buddy also has an awd 2001 explorer tcase on his shelf. Gonna grab that tmorrow or Monday (and a 2 watt 270 ohm resistor) and wire it all up (he will take it back if it doesn't work.... score). Should have my shift boot by then too!!!

Well see how it acts once the clutch tcase is wired up. Can't wait to get her all ready for winter. Very done driving my extra temporary beater (99 honda civic). Lol

Ps. If it doesn't work.. I might be interested to buy your manual tcase and linkages... rather get it from someone who can confirm its functionality :) I'll keep you posted.

Lol yeah your almost there lol can't wait for the results

Tom

Lol the one I have has been sitting out side for 3 years I wouldn't use it other then parts lol and I live in New Jersey you prob live 900 miles from me it wouldn't be worth it even if it was free cause tolls and gas but thanks for the support lol if you know anyone with 1987 Ford F-150 flare side bed side panels that aren't rusted they can be from 1979-1987 let me know cause I'll drive cross country for those lol

Tom

But the awd t case will work fine as long as it bolts up the wiring will be the same you just need to cut and splice the wiring to fit the factory connector.

Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll ask my buddy. He owns one of the biggest truck salvage yards iñ the interior. Not a bad bonus i must say.

Don't forget I'm international though. .. BC canada... but parts are easy to ship across the line. .. just not trucks.... im trying find and import a 4x4 4 door 4L ranger from Mexico. As of 2016... the 15 yr old ones (4l) are available. :) not sure how to get paperwork ready for crossing 2 borders! Lol for now I'll stick to my tcase problems. Those are problems for next year.

...I'll post up some pics of the installation completed to date. Some custom mounts, etc. Unfortunately my sd card died on my phone and lost most of the progress pics.... pretty bummed about that.

Back