Battery Life | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery Life

Got a 2011 XLT Ex and battery just died last week. It gave me a couple of small warning signs, that I didn't pay attention to, and then one morning I go out to start it and nothing.

Jumped started very easily, but had to get a new battery that day, cause it was just a big black block of nothing.

If you hear the car turning over slower than normal, replace it QUICK.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These batteries on the whole don't seem to stand up the way we would expect them to. Depending on the options you have a Limited may require a higher output battery than a Base. Power liftgate, power 3rd row fold seats etc. put more of a demand on the battery. I would think a battery in a 2013 model should still be under warranty.
It would be helpful if you added the 'model' of your 2013 Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margin.

Peter

Very true. I keep meaning to do that. It's a base mode with 4WD.

Thanks!

I just had to replace my battery with 24000 miles on my 2014 Limited. It was done under warranty.

Pleasant surprise under the hood

Last week I picked up my 2016 Explorer Platinum and was pleased to find a battery that requires maintenance under the hood. Unlike most newer vehicles that come equipped with sealed maintenance-free batteries -- or a clunky enclosure that makes it impossible to access the cell caps -- my new Explorer provides unrestricted access to check the battery's electrolyte level.

I don't know if Ford equips all Explorers with a battery that requires periodic maintenance, but if you have such a battery in your Explorer, please pay attention to the electrolyte level. Adding distilled water to keep the electrolyte at the proper level will lengthen the service life of your battery.

Additionally, you can easily check the status of your battery by using a hydrometer to test the specific gravity of each cell. This is the best way to determine state-of-charge and confirm that all cells are healthy.

Mine just failed on my 13 with 68k miles (batteries in the desert SW don't last real long and when they fail, often it's almost sudden). Unknown if original battery as this was a CPO. I did NOT go with a Ford battery as the deducible on the CPO is $100 which isn't far off from a upper end battery at Walmart with 3 year full replacement/2 year prorated.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/20703125

just had mine replaced 2015 sport 6,850 miles. truck would start at every other push of the button. the dash would rotate every warning starting system failure .. oil temp ..traction everything. dealer replaced battery under warranty

Interesting, my 2011 (90k miles) still has the original battery. The battery was even used for 12 hours to run my sump pump during Hurricane Sandy :eek: It will probably die tomorrow...........

My 2002 F250 had the original Motorcraft Battery in it when I traded it in 2011.

Our 2005 Fivehundred and Montego batteries both died at the 3.5 year mark...

Interesting, my 2011 (90k miles) still has the original battery. The battery was even used for 12 hours to run my sump pump during Hurricane Sandy :eek: It will probably die tomorrow...........

My 2002 F250 had the original Motorcraft Battery in it when I traded it in 2011.

Our 2005 Fivehundred and Montego batteries both died at the 3.5 year mark...

Made it 16 days from this post....battery died today :mad:

The battery of my wife's explorer failed the load test when I brought it for service a few weeks ago (at 4000 miles). Was replaced under warranty.

The battery of my wife's explorer failed the load test when I brought it for service a few weeks ago (at 4000 miles). Was replaced under warranty.

The one that just died in my 11 failed load test for about 3 years...

The one that just died in my 11 failed load test for about 3 years...

In the climate here you would be very lucky if the battery lasts 3 years. It dies without warning; I am glad they replaced it proactively.

Cars that have the battery sit in the boot, do way better; 5 years or more is the norm.

Wow! That's a LONG time for a battery.

battery died today

You jinxed yourself in furtherance of helping someone on this thread. You get a cigar from the board. :)

DieHard Platinum AGM 950 CCA And 135 reserve capacity VS. motorcraft Bxt-65-850. 850 CCA and 165 reserve capacity. which would you buy?

My '81 Datsun 510 wagon had the OEM battery in it when I got rid of it 9 years later, and clutch as well.

Peter

You jinxed yourself in furtherance of helping someone on this thread. You get a cigar from the board. :)

Mental note....don't do that again :(

The battery in our Explorer died earlier this week. Pulled it out to get a new one at Sears and my luck, Sears Auto just closed. So took the battery back home and put it on the charger. To my surprise the battery took a full charge??

Put it back in and it started with no problem. Took it around town and still good. I even drove it to work today. I still don't have that warm fuzzy though. Not sure why it just died??

I looked online and everywhere it says it's a group 65, is this correct?

We have the V6 in the Base edition.

Well my battery in my Ex was getting weak so I replaced it with a Motorcraft Bxt-65-850 CCA as I didnt want another little 400 cca one. The battery didn't die, but it was cranking over slower than usual, was almost 6 years old, and it failed the load test (showed only 250 cca)
Price of new battery at the Ford dealership was $129 plus old one for core. Not bad.

Well my battery in my Ex was getting weak so I replaced it with a Motorcraft Bxt-65-850 CCA as I didnt want another little 400 cca one. The battery didn't die, but it was cranking over slower than usual, was almost 6 years old, and it failed the load test (showed only 250 cca)
Price of new battery at the Ford dealership was $129 plus old one for core. Not bad.
The OEM battery in a 2011 3.5L V6 is a 650 cca. (BXT-65-650)

Peter

The OEM battery in a 2011 3.5L V6 is a 650 cca. (BXT-65-650)

Peter

The OEM battery that was in my Ex was a BH-65-HH which is a 420 cca type 65 battery. Some Explorers have a BXL 59 which is a 540 cca battery. I have no idea why all the different batteries, but I know what was and now is in my Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The OEM battery that was in my Ex was a BH-65-HH which is a 420 cca type 65 battery. Some Explorers have a BXL 59 which is a 540 cca battery. I have no idea why all the different batteries, but I know what was and now is in my Explorer.
The info I posted was from the 2011 Owner's Manual and that is what I had in mine. The warranty replacement was also a 650 cca. Not sure why the differences unless that battery is used in vehicles shipped to colder Winter climates. Mine also came with the block heater.

Peter

Back