Rearview Camera Problems | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

****Once the camera is replaced the dealer has to hook it up to the IDS (ford programming software) and initialize the camera for use with your vehicle. Such things such as the back up grid, etc may not work until this is done.

One of the first mods I did was change the chrome rear lampshield strip, which holds the rear cam. I ordered the OEM sport black version, and it came with a new camera (even though I didnt ask for the part). After installing the new strip AND the new camera (I figured why not use the new camera instead of removing it from my chrome strip), everything worked fine. I didn't have to hook up to the IDS, etc.

All has been working fine ever since (all lines appear, no black screens, etc). Can you speculate why I was able to simply plug and play?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One of the first mods I did was change the chrome rear lampshield strip, which holds the rear cam. I ordered the OEM sport black version, and it came with a new camera (even though I didnt ask for the part). After installing the new strip AND the new camera (I figured why not use the new camera instead of removing it from my chrome strip), everything worked fine. I didn't have to hook up to the IDS, etc.

All has been working fine ever since (all lines appear, no black screens, etc). Can you speculate why I was able to simply plug and play?

Does the zoom function work? Configuring will enable the non-base functions. If the dealer ever reads your vehicle for codes the code for a non configured camera will come up.

Some advanced functions are the zoom and moving lines with the steering wheel (if equipped) and also probably the detection blocks if equipped with back up sensors.

Does the zoom function work? Configuring will enable the non-base functions. If the dealer ever reads your vehicle for codes the code for a non configured camera will come up.

Some advanced functions are the zoom and moving lines with the steering wheel (if equipped) and also probably the detection blocks if equipped with back up sensors.

Yes, zoom functions as well as lines and detection blocks work.

LOL... Unless the OEM rear cam is supposed to have 3D, picture-in-picture, or thermal/night/telemetric-vision, then I dunno.... :scratch:

Guess I'm lucky

Yes, zoom functions as well as lines and detection blocks work.

LOL... Unless the OEM rear cam is supposed to have 3D, picture-in-picture, or thermal/night/telemetric-vision, then I dunno.... :scratch:

Guess I'm lucky

Unless it comes preconfigured since the bezel come with it and would be vehicle specific. Who knows.

Rear camera not working

My 2011 Explorer LTD has 108K miles. In the past month the rear camera will sometimes just not work. The screen is black and I get a "contact dealership" error message. Finally my nav often will just flat out not work. I can type in an address or voice command an address and the map will show up but it randomly just shows the current road and will not actually display a route.

My 2011 Explorer LTD has 108K miles. In the past month the rear camera will sometimes just not work. The screen is black and I get a "contact dealership" error message. Finally my nav often will just flat out not work. I can type in an address or voice command an address and the map will show up but it randomly just shows the current road and will not actually display a route.

Regarding the back up camera. Chances are the camera itself is going bad. That screen comes up when the APIM doesn't detect a valid video signal.

Regarding your NAV issue....are you running the latest version of MFT SYNC? That would be 3.6.2 aka 13171.

Back up camera not working

Backup camera stopped working. Screen went black, message said "Contact Dealership". When I spoke to the service tech about my camera she said that they will need to take take it out and replace it. I said what's wrong with it? She said "Don't know, I send these to Ford all of the time to help them try to diagnose the issue, these cameras go all the time". So why the heck would I have to pay for this. I just do not understand it. With as many issues that is recorded why not recall it?

2011 - Ford Explorer 58k miles

Backup camera stopped working. Screen went black, message said "Contact Dealership". When I spoke to the service tech about my camera she said that they will need to take take it out and replace it. I said what's wrong with it? She said "Don't know, I send these to Ford all of the time to help them try to diagnose the issue, these cameras go all the time". So why the heck would I have to pay for this. I just do not understand it. With as many issues that is recorded why not recall it?

2011 - Ford Explorer 58k miles
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
It seems that this is happening more and more with the early (2011-12) year models. I guess it could be a sort of 'end of life' thing. I believe it would have been covered if you had the ESP. Nothing lasts forever. I think some improvement was made in 2013 as the picture became quite a bit clearer around that time. Almost like HD. A recall is only issued for safety related issues, which this is not.
Please add the model of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Got the dreaded "camera unavailable please contact your dealer" message this afternoon so I went to "GOOGLE" and found this site. Looks like there are a lot of suggestions here, but few replies that I have seen as to what actually works.

Is there anyone who has tried some of these suggestions and would recommend one over the other ?

This is my first car with a back up camera and I love it, not sure I want to call my dealer, the responses I see on line haven't been that favorable.
Thanks in advance for assistance.

Got the dreaded "camera unavailable please contact your dealer" message this afternoon so I went to "GOOGLE" and found this site. Looks like there are a lot of suggestions here, but few replies that I have seen as to what actually works.

Is there anyone who has tried some of these suggestions and would recommend one over the other ?

This is my first car with a back up camera and I love it, not sure I want to call my dealer, the responses I see on line haven't been that favorable.
Thanks in advance for assistance.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
In most cases the camera has to be replaced and then programed to the vehicle you have.
Please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it appears in the margin when you post. That info may be very helpful at times. Thanks.

Peter

2013 limited with the same intermittent camera issue. I'll try to clean the connectors, which has worked for some, then replace it myself, if necessary.

Around 70k miles.

I'll report back so others know what worked.

Ray

2013 limited with the same intermittent camera issue. I'll try to clean the connectors, which has worked for some, then replace it myself, if necessary.

Around 70k miles.

I'll report back so others know what worked.

Ray
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
Please add the model (Limited) to your profile so it appears in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

Back up camera failure and navigation system 2011 Explorer XLT

My backup camera quit working awhile ago. Now my navigation system has quit working and I have a knocking noise that I think is the air return. My car has only 27450 miles on it. Will any of this be covered under warranty? I have it scheduled for 2 recalls to be done on the 16th but I would like to know what to expect for the other issues.

My backup camera quit working awhile ago. Now my navigation system has quit working and I have a knocking noise that I think is the air return. My car has only 27450 miles on it. Will any of this be covered under warranty? I have it scheduled for 2 recalls to be done on the 16th but I would like to know what to expect for the other issues.
Since you are past the 3 year warranty period, I doubt very much that any of the issues will be covered. What exactly is the problem with the navigation?

Peter

It just stopped working and I didn't have GPS, I unhooked the battery yesterday and I have my nagivation back, except the clock isn't right if I put the GPS on, I'm on central time and it shows it an hour ahead. I'm not sure unhooking the battery did it completely as it still had my phone and radio settings when I turned it back on. I left it off very about 15 minutes.

It just stopped working and I didn't have GPS, I unhooked the battery yesterday and I have my nagivation back, except the clock isn't right if I put the GPS on, I'm on central time and it shows it an hour ahead. I'm not sure unhooking the battery did it completely as it still had my phone and radio settings when I turned it back on. I left it off very about 15 minutes.
Not sure what you mean by 'putting GPS on". The time shown on the MFT screen shouldn't change regardless of which of the 4 quadrants you chose. It should match the time shown at the bottom right in your right hand Information display. Just go in and set the clock to the correct time. A battery disconnect will not reset all memory functions. It will however require your transmission to relearn it's shift points along with the idle and fuel trim settings. The latter you can do yourself or let the Explorer do it over time. You aren't confusing the MFT display with what you refer to as GPS are you? The GPS icon only shows when you select the Navigation screen.

Pete

In most cases the camera has to be replaced and then programed to the vehicle you have.
Please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it appears in the margin when you post. That info may be very helpful at times. Thanks.

Peter

[MENTION=163604]peterk9[/MENTION] I have the same issue as the OP on my 2011 MKX (56K). Do you know where I can find the procedure for programing a replacement camera "to the vehicle", or is that just a hard reset of the system?

Replacing the camera itself is easy and a replacement camera is about $100 (on the MKX).
For anyone else with the same issue on the same vehicle, the camera part # on the part appears to have changed to BA1Z19G490B. On my camera it has BA1T-19G480-A0, but my Google-brain does not find that part anywhere.

[MENTION=163604]peterk9[/MENTION] I have the same issue as the OP on my 2011 MKX (56K). Do you know where I can find the procedure for programing a replacement camera "to the vehicle", or is that just a hard reset of the system?

Replacing the camera itself is easy and a replacement camera is about $100 (on the MKX).
For anyone else with the same issue on the same vehicle, the camera part # on the part appears to have changed to BA1Z19G490B. On my camera it has BA1T-19G480-A0, but my Google-brain does not find that part anywhere.
As far as I know it is something that the dealer has to do. Not aware of anyone doing it themselves.

Peter

Add my 2012 Explorer Limited at around 65k miles (no warranty coverage left) to the list of failed rear cameras. Camera had a slow death. Worked one day and not for another, worked for a week and not for another, this went on for a few months and then finally died. Spoke to dealer to have a look at it during service for unrelated work. They charged $100 to tell me the camera needs replacement. Didn't mention any corrosion, loose connections, or any other potential root cause. Just suggested to replace the camera. Waited a few months to have it replaced as it's not an essential item.

Fast forward to today. Camera was replaced this morning by Ford dealer. $225 parts, $230 labor and $30 shop materials fee (?) plus good old taxes, this is in Airdrie, Alberta, Canada. Service rep indicated that back up cameras are commonly replaced these days, he indicated that they seem to have an average life span of 3-4 years. Ford warranty covers 2 years for the replacement parts.

Didn't notice a remarkable change in video quality as others mention HD like quality, however, the screen was really dirty with lots of oily thumb prints when it came back from the shop, so a good screen cleaning is in order. Though they did wash the exterior for free, which was nice.

Don't blame the local dealer too much. They did what was requested. Though for better customer service, they could have explained the root cause of the camera failure better and cleaned the touchscreen after they tested it. I do blame Ford for installing a poor quality part and/or designing it in such a way that it is at risk of early failure. A camera should not be a disposable item, as a set of tires would be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know it is something that the dealer has to do. Not aware of anyone doing it themselves.

Peter

To close-the-loop on this part of the thread, I installed the new camera and it functions. The only 'issue' is that the guide lines are gone. Otherwise, the camera functions normally. I did not have to do any kind of programming.
I may try a Master Reset on the system to see if I can get the guide lines back, but I am not really worried about the lines.

Back