Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors

Just an update from the dealer. Error code found was throttle. I'm not quite sure how it is related to TMS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2011 with 86k. I have seen this TMS fault bug pop up say a dozen times over the years. Every time , a shutoff and restart clears this.

Should I be worried. If it clears will the computer store this bug. I have premier care till 125k so go to ask. is it a thing that will be covered under premier care?

thanks
satish

I have a 2011 with 86k. I have seen this TMS fault bug pop up say a dozen times over the years. Every time , a shutoff and restart clears this.

Should I be worried. If it clears will the computer store this bug. I have premier care till 125k so go to ask. is it a thing that will be covered under premier care?

thanks
satish

Me too. After 3 days from the dealer, warning came up again w/ check engine light on. Same procedure to run it back home again

Kym it is strange u get the check engine light. The only thing I remember that it usually happens in very very cold frigid days which are not electronic friendly weather., a reason I am not worried.

Kym and silverfz, please add the 'model' (Base, XLT, Limited) to your profile so it shows in the margin. This can be helpful sometimes in trying to answer concerns you may have. Thanks.

As for cold weather affecting the TMS, I can tell you we had some very, very cold temperatures here last Winter and it never affected the TMS or other electronics.

Peter

Kym and silverfz, please add the 'model' (Base, XLT, Limited) to your profile so it shows in the margin. This can be helpful sometimes in trying to answer concerns you may have. Thanks.

As for cold weather affecting the TMS, I can tell you we had some very, very cold temperatures here last Winter and it never affected the TMS or other electronics.

Peter

Peter,
The only issue I faced was when I installed a Class 3 hitch and a 7 Pin connect at the dealer. they messed up the reverse sensor and took 2 attempts to fix that thing. Again it would only happened when its snowy or rainy and we have frigid weather.
I will keep an eye out, I have another 3 yes and 40k left on warranty.

My explorer is back to the dealer. Not sure what they'll do now.. It seems that they are clueless on this issue and they said that this is the first time they encountered this. I tried suggesting the TSB related to TMS and AWD on reprogramming the ABS but they are also not familiar.
Also, no more warranty left on mine but only ran 7-8k miles since 2011.

To everyone that was called to changed the throttle body: did it fix the issue completely?

I also received a call from the dealer that the throttle needs to be replaced.. And since it is out of warranty, I have to pay.

To everyone that was called to changed the throttle body: did it fix the issue completely?

I also received a call from the dealer that the throttle needs to be replaced.. And since it is out of warranty, I have to pay.

Good luck, sounds like an expensive fix. Call ford help and see if they can help. I never buy after factory warranty. This car was purchased by my wife and she got it. Between 2 rear bearings , rear sensors I think I am close to getting my money`s worth.

2013 Explorer Power Assisted Steering Failure/Advancetrac Error/Terrain Mngmt Error

I need some help... I have a 2013 Ford Explorer with a little over 47,400 miles and when I was backing up from parking spot in a city garage and placed the car in drive my power assisted steering (EPAS) failed. I got the power Steering fault error, Advancetrac error and Terrain management error. The car was too difficult to manually steer-actually it was nearly impossible for me. It took almost 1 hour and 2 grown big men to manually steer it out of the garage so that it could be put onto a flatbed tow truck. Ford claims that my VIN# number is not part of the recall (14S06) for this issue. The dealership that I had it towed to has quoted me around $2,000 to replace the steering rack. I contacted Ford customer service and a Rep opened a case and told me to call the dealership as it will be up to the dealership Service Manager to determine how and if they will help me. I am truly beside myself. Is Ford really not taking responsibility for this defect??

I need some help... I have a 2013 Ford Explorer with a little over 47,400 miles and when I was backing up from parking spot in a city garage and placed the car in drive my power assisted steering (EPAS) failed. I got the power Steering fault error, Advancetrac error and Terrain management error. The car was too difficult to manually steer-actually it was nearly impossible for me. It took almost 1 hour and 2 grown big men to manually steer it out of the garage so that it could be put onto a flatbed tow truck. Ford claims that my VIN# number is not part of the recall (14S06) for this issue. The dealership that I had it towed to has quoted me around $2,000 to replace the steering rack. I contacted Ford customer service and a Rep opened a case and told me to call the dealership as it will be up to the dealership Service Manager to determine how and if they will help me. I am truly beside myself. Is Ford really not taking responsibility for this defect??
The recall mentioned is for a software update which did not solve the issue anyway. The only way to have it fixed is to replace the steering rack as has been mentioned here many times. Check out the link in the following post;http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3475772&postcount=1021
Also, please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin. This may help the members in addressing any future issues. Thanks,

Peter

Terrain management system fault

Judy Pav,

I want to help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your region. I have your VIN from previous messages, so please send a PM with your contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Good morning, I purchased a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited about a month ago, Nice ride, but this morning I started my car and the "Terrain management system fault" message came up on my vehicle... It was a little concerning considering how much I payed for the vehicle. I do have the extended warranty through Cornerstone - the dealer I purchased the Ford through, but i'm unsure how to go about fixing this. Through previous threads, it sounds like they have found how to fix the issue cbx189 said, "Yes, my Ford Dealership tech was able to review the error codes and actually found a piece of metal/rust in the sensor unit that was causing the failt. All fixed! took 10 minutes." are you able to point me in the right direction on who to contact to fix this issue??

Ben G.

Thanks!

Good morning, I purchased a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited about a month ago, Nice ride, but this morning I started my car and the "Terrain management system fault" message came up on my vehicle... It was a little concerning considering how much I payed for the vehicle. I do have the extended warranty through Cornerstone - the dealer I purchased the Ford through, but i'm unsure how to go about fixing this. Through previous threads, it sounds like they have found how to fix the issue cbx189 said, "Yes, my Ford Dealership tech was able to review the error codes and actually found a piece of metal/rust in the sensor unit that was causing the failt. All fixed! took 10 minutes." are you able to point me in the right direction on who to contact to fix this issue??

Ben G.

Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Did the dealer you bought from give you any kind of warranty? Not talking about the extended one. The FordService reps on this forum are a 'go between' you and the Regional Customer Service Manager. They can help getting it looked at but as far as paying any repair costs, I believe that will be between you and Cornerstone since it isn't a Ford ESP.
You can send a PM (private message) to FordService using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968

There is a TSB on the Terrain Management System being inoperative but I'm not sure if that is what you have or not. In any case, since you have a 3rd party extended warranty and not a Ford ESP, any TSBs that apply will be carried out at your expense. Something you likely weren't told.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Did the dealer you bought from give you any kind of warranty? Not talking about the extended one. The FordService reps on this forum are a 'go between' you and the Regional Customer Service Manager. They can help getting it looked at but as far as paying any repair costs, I believe that will be between you and Cornerstone since it isn't a Ford ESP.
You can send a PM (private message) to FordService using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968

There is a TSB on the Terrain Management System being inoperative but I'm not sure if that is what you have or not. In any case, since you have a 3rd party extended warranty and not a Ford ESP, any TSBs that apply will be carried out at your expense. Something you likely weren't told.

Peter

Thanks for the info Peter. Although I'm not too savi to some lingo. I'm unfamiliar with TSB and ESP. I could guess/Google but probably would be incorrect. I got the warranty that covers "everything" which includes electrical which I'm hoping this falls under. I will have to review my paperwork to see how I should Handel this. With 14 pages about this topic, I was hoping someone was able to pin point the issue and I could talk to a mechanic and sound like I know a little something about something... I'm unsure if anything will be able to be done at this point because this morning was the first time I saw this "error". By the sounds of this issue, once you see the error, you'll have to bring the car directly in as the error clears once the car is turned off and turned back on... I'll keep my fingers crossed this isn't too big of an issue. Again, I do appreciate you taking the time to reply to this thread. :)

Thanks for the info Peter. Although I'm not too savi to some lingo. I'm unfamiliar with TSB and ESP. I could guess/Google but probably would be incorrect. I got the warranty that covers "everything" which includes electrical which I'm hoping this falls under. I will have to review my paperwork to see how I should Handel this. With 14 pages about this topic, I was hoping someone was able to pin point the issue and I could talk to a mechanic and sound like I know a little something about something... I'm unsure if anything will be able to be done at this point because this morning was the first time I saw this "error". By the sounds of this issue, once you see the error, you'll have to bring the car directly in as the error clears once the car is turned off and turned back on... I'll keep my fingers crossed this isn't too big of an issue. Again, I do appreciate you taking the time to reply to this thread. :)
TSB = Technical Services Bulletin. A bulletin sent out to dealers in regards to an issue that Ford has identified as requiring a repair at their cost. A TSB is NOT a recall. ESP = Extended Service Plan. A warranty that extends the factory warranty with some exclusions/inclusions.
There is a list of some of the known TSBs in the 'Sticky' section;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343204

Peter

Terrain management fault is back on my explorer, 3 mornings last week it was active and the terrain selection dial would not work. I did not bring it to any dealer to fix it previously, it kinda disappeared for few months so I didn't bother. So is there a fix now? I have premium care extended warranty for another year/20k kilometers, is it covered under that?

Terrain management fault is back on my explorer, 3 mornings last week it was active and the terrain selection dial would not work. I did not bring it to any dealer to fix it previously, it kinda disappeared for few months so I didn't bother. So is there a fix now? I have premium care extended warranty for another year/20k kilometers, is it covered under that?
Download a PDF copy of the PremiumCare and keep it handy. It seems that many members have this ESP but don't know what is/isn't covered.
http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/maintenance/PremiumCARE Brochure.pdf

Peter

They premium esp will cover it. They replaced a module on mine when I had the issue several years ago. Not a problem since.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back